The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

I am interested in both geoscience such as volcanoes and natural disasters. I am also interested in religion and philosophy.
Could you think of any ideas?:frown:
Hii, Need some urgent help!

My school/college doesn't have any lessons next week due to work experience for Year 12s, but due to my AS Exams only ending a few weeks ago I've only REALLY started my EPQ now. I had already done a 5000 word essay before but this is 6 months later, I've handed in a 2nd 5000 word draft and he (my supervisor) put notes on it to tidy up. I'm going to see him on Friday (which would also be my last day) with a 3rd draft, but if he puts notes on it to 'tidy up' I'm not going to be able to see him until September......which is when I wanted to begin planning my presentation.

I know the common advice would be 'Just go talk to him' but is anyone else in this kind of panicky situation?
Original post by Quantaˌ
Is it possible to do the EPQ as a private candidate?

I'm sorry to say no.
I get this just from general EPQ discussion boards throughout the internet, AQA (who are the only board that offer EPQ) only allow you to do the EPQ with a supervisor, as you get graded on notes such as 'My supervisor advised me to x', you can sit another A Level though, which would be AS+A2 so thus more valuable anyway.
Original post by infamous123
Any titles ideas on pharmacology/biology/psychology/bio sciences? any ideas will be very helpful :confused:

Look on the news. Newspapers, Sky, BBC, blogs, this is how I found my idea last year. There's been a little thing on antibiotic resistance... and a scientist has managed to create a strain of H1N1 that can evade the human immune system...

I can't give you your title, but this is a place to start. And please please please ensure that you are 110% interested in the title! You do so much long winded research and it'll be more painful if you don't even like what you are doing. Good luck with it!
Few Questions, I get really panicky so sorry if my name keeps popping up in this thread.

1. When is the ABSOLUTE deadline?
2. Am I far behind having not completed my final draft of my essay yet?
3. Is starting HARDCORE work on the EPQ in July foolish?
4. How am I going to work on the EPQ in the Summer without my supervisor advising me?
5. Might be a stupid question but can I speak in first person in my essay expressing my own opinion?
6. Does my bio linking to sources at the end of the essay count as part of the 5000 word count?
7. A repeat of Question 2, Am I behind or whaaa?
Hey there

Gonna be year 12 in September *sweats nervously*
Any ideas for an epq tittle
I wanna be a maths teacher...
Original post by IrishBoyInLondon
Few Questions, I get really panicky so sorry if my name keeps popping up in this thread.

1. When is the ABSOLUTE deadline?
2. Am I far behind having not completed my final draft of my essay yet?
3. Is starting HARDCORE work on the EPQ in July foolish?
4. How am I going to work on the EPQ in the Summer without my supervisor advising me?
5. Might be a stupid question but can I speak in first person in my essay expressing my own opinion?
6. Does my bio linking to sources at the end of the essay count as part of the 5000 word count?
7. A repeat of Question 2, Am I behind or whaaa?

1. Mine was 28th March.
2. When did you start? Then I can give you a better idea of how on track you are.
3. See answer (2)
4. Have the attachment to this reply. You're welcome.
5. Hmmmm, I wouldn't and didn't. Speak almost in a detached third person way. Like, 'Smith (2004) exemplifies the effect of maternal abandonment on newborn to two year old children, however the study only takes into account South American children, meaning that the results cannot be applied on a global scale.' (i literally just made this up so don't use Smith 2004 in your essays pls)
6. Nope. I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Like 90% sure. But check check check with your supervisor.
7. See answer (2)
Original post by xshockz97
Trying to think of a title for my epq, I want to do something related to conservation. Any idea?

I thought about "Is the conservation of tigers (working/worth it?)"

I know someone who is doing the decline in the population of bees for conservation related so you could do something like that
Original post by MATHSPOW!!
Hey there

Gonna be year 12 in September *sweats nervously*
Any ideas for an epq tittle
I wanna be a maths teacher...

You could study the way maths is taught to younger pupils, ask them their opinions and develop a teaching method of your own, which you use to teach a class as your final piece for it?
Original post by ginger16
You could study the way maths is taught to younger pupils, ask them their opinions and develop a teaching method of your own, which you use to teach a class as your final piece for it?

Ooooh that's an interesting idea ! Goodness meee haha !! Thanks
Yeh I think I wanna do something along the teaching lines cause the uni should like that I guess
Hello! I was wondering if anyone could help me with artefact guidelines? I wanted to do a lecture and film it, but I am unsure if it is a suitable medium. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated. My exam board is AQA :smile:
Original post by Elvish
Hello! I was wondering if anyone could help me with artefact guidelines? I wanted to do a lecture and film it, but I am unsure if it is a suitable medium. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated. My exam board is AQA :smile:

I think videos are fine to make, so I'm sure this would be fine.

Talk to your supervisor and get their opinion though, since they are the ones marking it.
Original post by liomeeringca
1. Mine was 28th March.
2. When did you start? Then I can give you a better idea of how on track you are.
3. See answer (2)
4. Have the attachment to this reply. You're welcome.
5. Hmmmm, I wouldn't and didn't. Speak almost in a detached third person way. Like, 'Smith (2004) exemplifies the effect of maternal abandonment on newborn to two year old children, however the study only takes into account South American children, meaning that the results cannot be applied on a global scale.' (i literally just made this up so don't use Smith 2004 in your essays pls)
6. Nope. I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Like 90% sure. But check check check with your supervisor.
7. See answer (2)

Thanks :smile: Like I said, We 'started' in January (ergo, our teacher introduced us to the Extended Project and that we can work on it whenever want), but after doing 80% research and 20% work for two months (literally just 2 sides of A2), March came along and all my energy was devoted towards revising for AS exams. My exams ended in June and thus following half term, I restarted again. I've given in three essays now and am kind of petrified due to your comment as mine is like pretty much all first person :redface: ( I thought that's what evaluation meant :frown: )

So considering I started in January but kind of had a 'break' (perhaps a harsh way of putting it) is 3 drafts quite a poor showing for that time? Because reading this thread some people completed theirs in a week! Makes me feel slightly less up to standard.
Reply 5213
Can someone please do me a massive favour and give me a copy of their EPQ as a guidance...I am clueless where to begin. An inbox with any help will be great!
Hi guys I need advice on which topic pls

A. To what extent has tesco reached it's growth limit?

B. something about Eco effects of war on drugs
Original post by disillusion
Hi guys I need advice on which topic pls

A. To what extent has tesco reached it's growth limit?

B. something about Eco effects of war on drugs

For the second one, something marijuana-related could be interesting. Some countries and a couple of US states have legalised it - surely there's gonna be a good few articles for you to read up on there, and relate it back to the wider war on drugs. Or legalising in general.
Reply 5216
Just wondering I cant seem to find the answer but when anaesthetists num a person out what part of the brain does that affect?

Also can someone please give me an example of a drug that an anaesthetist uses to do this?

Thanks in advance
I want to do something on mob mentality and violence but need help thinking of an exact question
Reply 5218
someone who has done the AQA EPQ could you please inbox yours to me? I'm doing mine right now and I'm not sure if I've got the structure right or if I'm referencing correctly, I promise I won't copy :smile: also how many words does it have to be?
Original post by makil
someone who has done the AQA EPQ could you please inbox yours to me? I'm doing mine right now and I'm not sure if I've got the structure right or if I'm referencing correctly, I promise I won't copy :smile: also how many words does it have to be?

There are plenty exemplar essays and log books online :smile:

The essay should be 5,000 words.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest