Coca Cola (Sweet & Sticky)
    30.11%
    Pepsi (Cool & Crisp)
    36.56%
    Sex.
    33.33%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    As expected my dumb assembly program didn't win.

The winning program's algorithm was quite ingenious I must say, although it's still cheating in my book
    Between one thing and another (mainly the 'one thing' - working!) I never made it to the lecture. What was the 'cheat'/ingenuity? The prize is rather better than I'd have expected!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    Between one thing and another (mainly the 'one thing' - working!) I never made it to the lecture. What was the 'cheat'/ingenuity? The prize is rather better than I'd have expected!
    His algorithm ran something like this:

1) Declare an array of 2^16 bytes
    2) Input number, say n
    3) Increment element at array subscript n by 1
    4) Repeat for 10 numbers
    5) Starting from 0, iterate through the array and print out the corresponding subscript x number of times, with x being the number stored in the array element.

He was able to implement this in 25 instructions (or even 24 as the lecturer pointed out a way which he could save one more instruction!)

Moral of the story, O(n^2) sorts < O(nlogn) sorts < don't sort at all

:mad2:

ReputationRep:
    His algorithm ran something like this:

1) Declare an array of 2^16 bytes
    2) Input number, say n
    3) Increment element at array subscript n by 1
    4) Repeat for 10 numbers
    5) Starting from 0, iterate through the array and print out the corresponding subscript x number of times, with x being the number stored in the array element.
    Oh, that's clever. It's pretty much the inverse of what I had thought about and probably saves quite a few instructions off that. Who was it? (Not that it'll mean anything to me, I don't actually know many people outside my college.)

P.S. Check your email for details of an interesting DAMTP lecture course. :woo: Really hoping it doesn't clash with anything I need to attend. EDIT: It looks like it's probably clear of everything except practicals for me. With some missing of software tick weeks, it's probably okay.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, that's clever. It's pretty much the inverse of what I had thought about and probably saves quite a few instructions off that. Who was it? (Not that it'll mean anything to me, I don't actually know many people outside my college.)
    It was one of the Eastern European international students I think. They all seem to be incredibly skilled or incredibly creative. :p:

P.S. Check your email for details of an interesting DAMTP lecture course. :woo: Really hoping it doesn't clash with anything I need to attend. EDIT: It looks like it's probably clear of everything except practicals for me. With some missing of software tick weeks, it's probably okay.
    Bleh, it's on at the CMS. :yucky: I would probably be free for it if I'm bothered to go.

I'm still doing maths :sigh: P14 and Q4 are ******* pieces of ******** ****

ReputationRep:
    Bleh, it's on at the CMS. :yucky: I would probably be free for it if I'm bothered to go.
    Bus? I'll either walk (which is a bit more convenient for me than you, since I'm a good 5-10 minutes closer) or take the bus from the stop located just across the road. I've not been out to the CMS yet, so it's nice to have an excuse. In any case, I think I'll enjoy the course since it sounds like it covers some more advanced material, and in a fairly satisfying way.

I'm still doing maths :sigh: P14 and Q4 are ******* pieces of ******** ****
    :console: I ran out of time for mine. Target for next term: start off as organised I was for the first half of this term, and then stay that organized right up until week 8.

ReputationRep:
    :console: I ran out of time for mine. Target for next term: start off as organised I was for the first half of this term, and then stay that organized right up until week 8.
    What are you working on now? Got to discrete maths yet? :p:

ReputationRep:
    What are you working on now? Got to discrete maths yet? :p:
    Oh, goodness me, no. I've got to be an abysmal failure of a physicist before I get to that stage. :p: Discrete maths is virtually certain to be a job for tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Differentiate:

(1+(x (x^2+ 1)^4 )^5 )^3

:sigh:

Have you had any questions like this? They annoy me. :/
    :yawn: Try making substitutions first then differentiatiate

ReputationRep:
    Differentiate:

(1+(x (x^2+ 1)^4 )^5 )^3

:sigh:

Have you had any questions like this? They annoy me. :/
    Ouch. Yea, I can understand why, you wouldn't get anything like that in an exam. It looks like you'll probably get a vey ugly answer.
    Use the fact that \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{du}{dx}\time  s\frac{df}{du} \times \frac{dy}{df}.

ReputationRep:
    Im Hungry

Sent off my UCAS today It's nice to know it's all out of the way now, and all that's left to do is to wait

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CallumFR)
    Sent off my UCAS today It's nice to know it's all out of the way now, and all that's left to do is to wait
    What and where did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CallumFR)
    Nice.

Ours are sent away by the end of this week. I've paid for it, so all that is left is for my guidance teacher to check my PS again before it is sent away.

(Original post by moonshine_1991)
    What and where did you apply for?
    I applied to study (Mathematical/Theoretical) Physics at Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and St Andrews

ReputationRep:
    :nothing:
    Choose a chunk of what's inside the brackets and call it something. Then that becomes a simpler bit and just remember to use the chain rule.

Those kind of questions are more annoying than difficult, so they aren't of great technical interest.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I think it's only really today that the fairly huge weight of the process of applying to university has truly hit me. I think it's only really today that I've realised I should probably not under any circumstances take the considerations of someone else into account when I'm deciding what to do for the next 4 years... I think it's only really today that I've realised how much easier things would be if I was single. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Helpful shortcut. :yep:
    This kind of question, albeit easier, is far more interesting:

Spoiler:
    Show

\sqrt {2 + \sqrt {2 + \sqrt {2 + \sqrt {2 + \sqrt {2 + \sqrt {2 + ....} } } } } }  = ?

What happens if you take negative instead of positive square roots?

Prove all your answers.

ReputationRep:
    Don't sacrifice everything for her.

:no:
    I have about a week to decide whether I'm going to factor her into this considerably major life decision and stick with how it is, or completely and utterly disregard her feelings (which is of course the sensible option and I consider myself a sensible person) and go with what I'd do if I was on my own. 6th year is such a breeze!

Part of me feels totally in love with every inch of her and unable to imagine a life in her absence. Part of me is trying to remind the last remaining sensible bit of my brain that she's my high school sweetheart and really should not come into something like this in any way whatsoever. Part of me just wants to go to sleep.

TSR: Personal Journal :sigh:

(Original post by Pedrobear)
    I have about a week to decide whether I'm going to factor her into this considerably major life decision and stick with how it is, or completely and utterly disregard her feelings (which is of course the sensible option and I consider myself a sensible person) and go with what I'd do if I was on my own. 6th year is such a breeze!

Part of me feels totally in love with every inch of her and unable to imagine a life in her absence. Part of me is trying to remind the last remaining sensible bit of my brain that she's my high school sweetheart and really should not come into something like this in any way whatsoever. Part of me just wants to go to sleep.

TSR: Personal Journal :sigh:
    Who says that you would have to break up with her say if you moved to Aberdeen for university? You could do a LDR, but that sort of thing would be torture to me anyway. But, it is your future and do you think that you'll be worth her like 5 years down the line?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    You could do a LDR, but that sort of thing would be torture to me anyway.
    Same.

(Original post by Madjackismad)
    But, it is your future and do you think that you'll be worth her like 5 years down the line?
    More pessimistically, who's to say she won't break up with me halfway through 2nd year or something? :\ I would then regret this like hell. At the same time, if I end up having to leave her now I'll probably be sitting halfway through 2nd year looking at old pictures of her and crying myself to sleep. Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

If you'd told me - before I met her - that a woman would ever have such a grip on my livelihood, I'd have violently laughed in your face. :sigh:

Argh. Ah well! C'est la vie.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.