Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    I just have to hand over my resources just before the lesson. I usually teach off of the 10 minute lesson plan and then write up the longer lesson plans when I get chance.

I was a bit dreadful about getting them filled during placement 1 so I feel like I need to make up for it while I'm here :/
    That seems really strange to me! I know a lot of my friends had to do things like this but I never gave my lesson plans to the teacher unless I was being observed and she was never in the room for my lessons either.. A little bit of accountability might be helpful on my next placement to be honest. What did you think of it?

(Original post by Red Lightning)
    I might have my first pgce cry. Such a bad lesson, it was a double lesson and we did not get through half as I had to deal with constant misbehaviour. There was a case of a student being openly rude to me, I kept calm at all times(which was hard for me) and gave him a detention.

I took away some feedback from the class teacher and i'll try my best and implement them asap. But it feel so frustrating that you plan for God knows how many hours and it goes all down the drain,it's like I myself down.

Apologies for the ranting.
    Don't worry about ranting, I'm pretty sure we've all done it! I've already had my first PGCE cry (in front of my tutor... eep), I think it's not uncommon. Just take some time for yourself (if you can) and move past it. Tomorrow will be better!

ReputationRep:
    I might have my first pgce cry. Such a bad lesson, it was a double lesson and we did not get through half as I had to deal with constant misbehaviour. There was a case of a student being openly rude to me, I kept calm at all times(which was hard for me) and gave him a detention.

I took away some feedback from the class teacher and i'll try my best and implement them asap. But it feel so frustrating that you plan for God knows how many hours and it goes all down the drain,it's like I myself down.

Don't apologise. Only those who have been there know how upsetting it can be.

ReputationRep:
    First day of second placement today. Felt it went quite well. The kids and staff seem nice, and I already have my new timetable which looks quite good. Of course there is the usual new place feel, I need to settle in a bit more before I feel I can enjoy it.

I had my first PGCE cry in like the first week :awesome: . You've done well to last until now! Bad lessons happen to everyone, even if they deny it. I know what you mean about the planning though. Pupils don't realise how much time and effort goes into their lessons and how it affects us so much behind the scenes. I've had many a time where I've spent days planning a lesson only for it to go up in smoke, then I use a shabby thrown together lesson another time that goes amazingly well. Sadly, it is just part of the trade!

We don't have that long left now! It will be a tough few months, but we will get through and can be proud of ourselves afterwards! I cannot wait until June. Maybe the happiest month of my life!

ReputationRep:
    5 hours until this essay is due and I still can't motivate myself. eurgh

ReputationRep:

Don't be scared to let it all out :') unfortunately, the only people who really understand are other people who have been through it! I've cried so many times so far.

Just keep your cool and think about how you're going to tackle the behaviour next lesson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    5 hours until this essay is due and I still can't motivate myself. eurgh
    Know the feeling! Got 1,200 words left to write before Wednesday morning. Got no motivation whatsoever. The ironic part is that part of my essay is about how to motivate students. Arghh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Know the feeling! Got 1,200 words left to write before Wednesday morning. Got no motivation whatsoever. The ironic part is that part of my essay is about how to motivate students. Arghh!
    Eurgh, mine's up to the word limit, but I have nowhere near enough critical engagement in it

These essays are just a complete added stress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    Eurgh, mine's up to the word limit, but I have nowhere near enough critical engagement in it

These essays are just a complete added stress.
    I'm too tired to care much about critical engagement right now I'd normally put far more time and thought into an essay but there just isn't enough time to do that in the PGCE!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys. I took a little break and watched an episode of Luther( what a great show, just finished season 2 finale! One more season to go!). I gained some perspective and realised what I should do next. This PGCE is one big learning curve, and what does not kill you certainly makes you stronger!

ReputationRep:
    So in 5,000 words, I only have 5 things in my bibliography D:

ReputationRep:

Awww, I am so sorry to hear that. I am sure most people know how that feels. I hope it doesn't happen again. I am sure you will learn enough from the experience for it not to happen again.

ReputationRep:
    Had a very awkward moment this morning. We did an activity with entry level class were the students had to describe their favorite celebrity and was asked to do it too; as I very rarely watch television, never read celebrity magazines/sites and never particularly paid that much attention to celebrities in general I drew a blank and said I couldn't do it. It might sound silly but I felt like I was put on the spot; never liked those sort of activities when I was younger either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what a 'thunk' starter is? I have to do one tomorrow and the internet is coming up with suggested questions rather than explanations of what it actually involves.

ReputationRep:
    I have to say...

It seems that IOE primary PGCE students seem to have things a little easier than what's being described here. Then again, it seems to be highly dependent on the school as well as your university mentor.

Some students have been thrown completely into the deep end, while others like me, have been given timetables that are slowly building up?

Weird.

ReputationRep:
    Had my first interview today! I didn't get the job but did get some positive feedback so happy overall. I have another interview on Thursday and starting to stress about it a bit. Need to take some time to relax and recharge!

ReputationRep:
    How long after a job closes should you hear?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I found out on the closing date for both interviews I was offered. I think some schools shortlist the next day though. :-)

ReputationRep:
    Well I've just discovered that most my hours that Ive done(which the tutors told me count towards the teaching hours) don't actually count towards the teaching hours so Im basically back at square one. Can't say Im really that surprised :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    I found out on the closing date for both interviews I was offered. I think some schools shortlist the next day though. :-)
    Oh... that's not good news for me

(Original post by gemmam)
    Well I've just discovered that most my hours that Ive done(which the tutors told me count towards the teaching hours) don't actually count towards the teaching hours so Im basically back at square one. Can't say Im really that surprised :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why don't they count?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I applied for one that I didn't hear from for 4 days after the closing date then they offered me an interview. The other one I heard about two hours after the closing time!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.