Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Locke)
    i like the baroreceptor idea!
    What the!?? How are you so wisened at such an early age sir? That's an incredible amount of detail just for some introductory cardiac physiology lectures - I assume you're at a research centred university, and given your pseudonym, a British institution - Ox/Cam?? At Imperial they briefly mentioned NaKATPase then the term vanished faster than Latin itself...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzcat)
    What the!?? How are you so wisened at such an early age sir? That's an incredible amount of detail just for some introductory cardiac physiology lectures - I assume you're at a research centred university, and given your pseudonym, a British institution - Ox/Cam?? At Imperial they briefly mentioned NaKATPase then the term vanished faster than Latin itself...
    Once again, JL makes his just about to start 2nd year compatriots look like they have special needs in comparison. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Half the problem in medicine is the latin. Dermatology for instance, stick anything latinate onto the end of erythema and you're onto a possibility.

I actually understood some of that. I never thought I'd thank my uni for the hours and hours of physiology, not to mention the joys of pharmacology thursdays....My head nearly exploaded when we had cardiology teaching on re-entrant circuits and aberrent conduction around the PV, fiendishly complicated stuff. I'll stick to the basic ECG for a long long time thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    I actually understood some of that. I never thought I'd thank my uni for the hours and hours of physiology, not to mention the joys of pharmacology thursdays....My head nearly exploaded when we had cardiology teaching on re-entrant circuits and aberrent conduction around the PV, fiendishly complicated stuff. I'll stick to the basic ECG for a long long time thank you.
    Some lowly Keele students without the hours and hours of lectures can piece most of that together
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    Some lowly Keele students without the hours and hours of lectures can piece some of that together
    Even at the inferior:rolleyes: Peninsula, we covered half/most of that in first year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carcinoma)
    Even at the inferior:rolleyes: Peninsula, we covered half/most of that in first year.
    I have no idea what anything in his post said Sigh, how on earth I managed to pass the first year I have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    You've really got quite a complex going on, haven't you?

Anyway, buzzcat, in addition to John Locke's excellent post (which I mostly understood but had forgotten the vast majority of the molecular level stuff!), the general consensus is that the principal action of digoxin in AF is to slow the ventricular rate by slowing conduction at the AV node, I think predominantly through its actions on the Na/K ATPase. It is not used to cardiovert a patient back into sinus rhythm - you want amiodarone, flecainide (in certain circumstances) or electricity for that.

Whether digoxin should be used before, after or alongside beta blockers for rate control in various groups of patients is controversial and something even most cardiologists can't agree on.

ReputationRep:
    By 'half' do you actually mean you covered the Na+/K+/ATPase pump?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    Im gonna burst your special bubble lol.....
    I am special aswell!
    This happened to me.
    Oh dear does someone not like me being special - haha!!

ReputationRep:

Seriously? I thought all universities went into the details or cardiac regulation mechanisms etc.
    John Locke i wonder if you go to the same medical school as me?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Helenia)
    You've really got quite a complex going on, haven't you?
    No, Its definitely sarcasm.

ReputationRep:
    lol I heard Pennisula got shut down?? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    Well, I know that you don't think Peninsula is inferior. I also know that most people on here (excluding applicants) don't either, but it seems that you think they do and have to rush in to defend it/its methods at any opportunity, even when no insult has been made. Just a passing observation - I know I've felt I have to do the same about Oxbridge in the past.

ReputationRep:
    I understood none of that cardiac stuff. Thank goodness for iBSc and delaying fourth year.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I have all that to look forward to next year :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    Some lowly Keele students without the hours and hours of lectures can piece most of that together
    You ruined my reflection

Having done a year of clinics, I do wonder show I sat through 2 years of lectures. Although I am begining to see method in the donkey work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    I understood none of that cardiac stuff. Thank goodness for iBSc and delaying fourth year.

Your love of orthopaedics?

You keeping well?

ReputationRep:
    lol I heard Pennisula got shut down?? :curious:
    ....****, I hope not! You'd think they'd tell us...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Well, I know that you don't think Peninsula is inferior. I also know that most people on here (excluding applicants) don't either, but it seems that you think they do and have to rush in to defend it/its methods at any opportunity, even when no insult has been made. Just a passing observation - I know I've felt I have to do the same about Oxbridge in the past.
    There is nothing wrong with widening awareness and education.

If it comes across defensive, then my bad. I was aiming for humorous conversation.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with being defensive especially if it's to try and repair common misconceptions about your med school.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.