This discussion is closed.
antisansculotte
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by cleverasvoltaire)
I apologise, that comment was a troll.
Perhaps not in the best taste here of all places. Some people use this thread and forum as their only insight into the Oxbridge application process, after all.
samb1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by physicsmaths)
Yeh I go to a public school pretty average/below average academically. Plently of people get in like me and you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tbh I do go to a grammar school but then I did have to do better than 1000 people in the entrance exam to get a place unlike some private schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Serine Soul
Badges: 18
Report 3 years ago
I apologise, that comment was a troll.
:troll:

I've waited for ages to use that emoticon!
cleverasvoltaire
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by antisansculotte)
Perhaps not in the best taste here of all places. Some people use this thread and forum as their only insight into the Oxbridge application process, after all.
Let me clarify then-
I would not discriminate against anyone regardless of education or any other factor(okay maybe if you vote Green)
Cambridge looks to be an excellent university with people from all classes and hard work is rewarded
You will receive probably the best education possible and I strongly recommend it.
I apologise for any mocking comments which are made purely in jest. Posh people aren't actually like that.
cleverasvoltaire
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by enaayrah)
:troll:

I've waited for ages to use that emoticon!
That is quite wonderful. At least one positive has come from this
antisansculotte
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by samb1234)
Tbh I do go to a grammar school but then I did have to do better than 1000 people in the entrance exam to get a place unlike some private schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just for the sake of balance, I would point out that entrance to schools like Eton and Harrow is based at least partly on various examination results.
samb1234
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by antisansculotte)
Just for the sake of balance, I would point out that entrance to schools like Eton and Harrow is based at least partly on various examination results.
I am fully aware of this and I genuinely have nothing against private schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile
cleverasvoltaire
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some private schools are worse than state schools and I think grammar schools are a wonderful thing. Tbh if a private school doesn't have high entry reqs then its not worth going to and there are better state or grammar schools that can save you £30,000 a year
physicsmaths
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair enough. Its not a bad thing ofcourse.Atleast you beat that 1000 lol. I filled in some form for 6th form and bang unconditional offer like everybody else lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Serine Soul
Report 3 years ago
That is quite wonderful. At least one positive has come from this
I guess so...

But you did create all the negativity :erm:

So, state or grammar? Which one are you really from?
samb1234
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Fair enough. Its not a bad thing ofcourse.Atleast you beat that 1000 lol. I filled in some form for 6th form and bang unconditional offer like everybody else lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The exam was in like year 6 it would have been much harder to get into my schools sixth form if I had been to a different school first

Posted from TSR Mobile
cleverasvoltaire
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I guess so...

But you did create all the negativity :erm:

So, state or grammar?
I must have apologised several times now It depends, but I would say grammar because it rewards hard work more and they generally have higher entry requirements, giving a better chance to students
Serine Soul
Report 3 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
:lol: me too

My sixth form isn't even a part of the school I did my GCSEs in
Serine Soul
Report 3 years ago
I must have apologised several times now It depends, but I would say grammar because it rewards hard work more and they generally have higher entry requirements, giving a better chance to students
I mean, which one are you from?
username1533709
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

What accusation are you making? :hmmm:.
physicsmaths
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
:lol: me too

My sixth form isn't even a part of the school I did my GCSEs in
Lol my 6th form was part of the school i went to secondary school in. Pretty good there atleast it is very social at my school. Abit too social sometimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
samb1234
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kadak)
Posted from TSR Mobile

What accusation are you making? :hmmm:.
I'm not making any accusation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Serine Soul
Report 3 years ago
Lol my 6th form was part of the school i went to secondary school in. Pretty good there atleast it is very social at my school. Abit too social sometimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, my school didn't have a sixth form

The college I go to tried to threaten kids by saying they won't get a place unless they get 5A*-C grades, but they still got places even though they failed :lol:
physicsmaths
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There is a document on the page on application statistics which shows everysingle school that had a candidate apply to Cambridge and how many applied how mnay got offers and then places. Loads of private schools got smashed by state schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile
physicsmaths
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah, my school didn't have a sixth form

The college I go to tried to threaten kids by saying they won't get a place unless they get 5A*-C grades, but they still got places even though they failed :lol:
Yh there are loads of people like that in my school who are still resitting maths gcse till this day even.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (105)
19.48%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
41.19%
Nope, not that interesting (212)
39.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise