Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    UK will suspend export licenses should Israel resume hostilities.

ReputationRep:
    Digusting. I thought Islam was a religon of peace, yet they are always in war with something.

I will never support authoritarianism, religious or non-religious. Hamas is simply using Islam as a means to conquest and control. They're ignoring tenets of Islamic law wherever it benefits them. This is merely another means of control. 

Good luck to Israel , the whole world is with you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mxcvii)
    You haven't replied to me above, is it because you can't counter against it? Lol like someone said above, you've been crushed in arguments on this thread before and then you stop replying.
    Oh wow you got me. Now remind me where you addressed my points in this post: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7#post49272487

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniOfLife)
    Oh wow you got me. Now remind me where you addressed my points in this post: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7#post49272487
    Are you an idiot. You were debating with someone else there not me.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why he (the person you quoted) should have to respond to what is actually, the post of another user.

Perhaps you made a mistake?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karthikaslk)
    Digusting. I thought Islam was a religon of peace, yet they are always in war with something.

I will never support authoritarianism, religious or non-religious. Hamas is simply using Islam as a means to conquest and control. They're ignoring tenets of Islamic law wherever it benefits them. This is merely another means of control. 

Good luck to Israel , the whole world is with you!
    Funny. Replace Hamas with Zionism and Islam with Judaism and your 2nd paragraph is much more accurate.

ReputationRep:
    That is absolutely disgusting, and I take it at face value, and believe it probably to be true.

I 100% believe that Hamas has been up to a lot of dirty tricks in the recent war and will continue to disregard human life.

I can not however on the one had denounce Hamas' massacring of civilians, without in the same breathe condemning the Israeli's massacring of civilians.

Both sides seem to extinguish lives very, very cheaply.

Hamas is not the cute little lamb that it would have you believe it is, but the fact that they are evil, does not somehow lessen the atrocities the Israelis have committed.

It's still the Palestinian citizens I feel most sorry for. People often say Hamas are not even democratically elected. So if you are a Palestinian citizen, you are killed by people that hate you, even though you are dictated to, and you are killed by people who you may not have even directly elected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mxcvii)
    Are you an idiot. You were debating with someone else there not me.
    (Original post by tsr1269)
    I don't see why he (the person you quoted) should have to respond to what is actually, the post of another user.

Perhaps you made a mistake?
    Yes I made a mistake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by broscience123)
    Funny. Replace Hamas with Zionism and Islam with Judaism and your 2nd paragraph is much more accurate.
    That's exactly what I thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MostUncivilised)
    Unless you have evidence that contradicts it, then you're clearly just showing you don't want to believe it.

It is odd that you find it hard to believe your beloved Hamas would ever do something violent or exploitative. I mean, this is an organisation whose thugs ride through the streets on motorbikes, firing guns and dragging dead bodies behind

By the way, I linked to something from Tabletmag which linked to a thinktank study. What are your objections to the thinktank study? What is this Jpost thing you're talking about?

All I'm saying is the article gave a hat tip to the Jerusalem Post, so the source will obviously be biased. You can easily see that by the way it's written.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TolerantBeing)
    All I'm saying is the article gave a hat tip to the Jerusalem Post, so the source will obviously be biased. You can easily see that by the way it's written.
    Actually it credits the Institute for Palestine Studies :lol: I think you're hallucinating. Where does it mention Jpost in the article? Quote it

You are confirming you have a psychological need to believe it's not true. Even propaganda outlets and biased sources often rely on things that are true but embarrassing to the other side

By dismissing it out of hand you are supporting the death of Palestinian children. You are turning a blind eye to their deaths for ideological reasons. Shame on you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TolerantBeing)
    'H/t- the Jerusalem post.'

I wouldn't believe things so readily.
    The report comes from the Institute for Palestine Studies, which is a well respected pan-Arab institution based in Beirut and nothing to do with Israel at all.

It's worth noting that the deaths of children in tunnelling operations relates to the tunnels dug into Egypt some years ago, not the ones (as far as the report goes anyway) dug into Israel, but that's a minor issue. Hamas themselves have admitted these deaths occurred. Apparently the children were considered 'martyrs'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    The report comes from the Institute for Palestine Studies, which is a well respected pan-Arab institution based in Beirut and nothing to do with Israel at all.

It's worth noting that the deaths of children in tunnelling operations relates to the tunnels dug into Egypt some years ago, not the ones (as far as the report goes anyway) dug into Israel, but that's a minor issue. Hamas themselves have admitted these deaths occurred. Apparently the children were considered 'martyrs'.
    Fair point re which tunnels. Though I would not at all be surprised if they were also involved in the terror tunnels. Like in the Victorian mines, children are valued for their nimble bodies, poor perception of risk and tenedency to do what they're told

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huskaris)
    That is absolutely disgusting, and I take it at face value, and believe it probably to be true.

I 100% believe that Hamas has been up to a lot of dirty tricks in the recent war and will continue to disregard human life.

I can not however on the one had denounce Hamas' massacring of civilians, without in the same breathe condemning the Israeli's massacring of civilians.

Both sides seem to extinguish lives very, very cheaply.

Hamas is not the cute little lamb that it would have you believe it is, but the fact that they are evil, does not somehow lessen the atrocities the Israelis have committed.

It's still the Palestinian citizens I feel most sorry for. People often say Hamas are not even democratically elected. So if you are a Palestinian citizen, you are killed by people that hate you, even though you are dictated to, and you are killed by people who you may not have even directly elected.
    All very good points, though I'm unsure "massacre" is the right word for what Israel is doing. The death figures show that men aged 20-29 are the most likely to be killed by bombs, and children the least likely. That suggests that the bombing is not indiscriminate, otherwise you would see death rates that mirror the proportion of age groups and genders in the Palestinian population.

Also, I do believe Hamas to be an evil organisation. Like the photo above shows, they are gangsters, they murder men for their sexuality and lool the other way when women are murdered for reasons of "honour". They use children and civilians as a weapon against Israel, whereas Israel does the opposite.

I don't agree with the occupation or the settlements, I want to see a peace deal. But I also can't stand idly by while some elements shriek about "genocide" (ludicrous, Israel has killed 10,000 Palestinians in 50 years. They treat Arabs in their own borders with respect and full civil rights. Even to this day, they send truckloads of food aid into Gaza, whilst the Gaza strip has 5 star hotels making wedding cakes so big they have to be cut with a crane. The idea that it is genocide is preposterous, and anyone who has read about real examples likr the Cambodian genocide, or Holodomor, or the Holocaust, orfamines and sieges like the Siege of Leningrad , know this is nothing of the sort).

I'm also very suspicious of people who rise up when they see Jews killing Muslims at the level of 1500 or so, but are hauntingly silent when ISIS kills 5000 etc. It suggests deep hypocrisy

ReputationRep:
    All very good points, though I'm unsure "massacre" is the right word for what Israel is doing. The death figures show that men aged 20-29 are the most likely to be killed by bombs, and children the least likely. That suggests that the bombing is not indiscriminate, otherwise you would see death rates that mirror the proportion of age groups and genders in the Palestinian population.

Also, I do believe Hamas to be an evil organisation. Like the photo above shows, they are gangsters, they murder men for their sexuality and lool the other way when women are murdered for reasons of "honour". They use children and civilians as a weapon against Israel, whereas Israel does the opposite.

I don't agree with the occupation or the settlements, I want to see a peace deal. But I also can't stand idly by while some elements shriek about "genocide" (ludicrous, Israel has killed 10,000 Palestinians in 50 years. They treat Arabs in their own borders with respect and full civil rights. Even to this day, they send truckloads of food aid into Gaza, whilst the Gaza strip has 5 star hotels making wedding cakes so big they have to be cut with a crane. The idea that it is genocide is preposterous, and anyone who has read about real examples likr the Cambodian genocide, or Holodomor, or the Holocaust, orfamines and sieges like the Siege of Leningrad , know this is nothing of the sort).

I'm also very suspicious of people who rise up when they see Jews killing Muslims at the level of 1500 or so, but are hauntingly silent when ISIS kills 5000 etc. It suggests deep hypocrisy
    I also ponder this, do you think (as I do) that it might be because we actually don't expect Muslim nations/factions to have any real standards, Israel on the other hand is basically a Western democracy dropped in the Middle East, and as such we expect higher standards from them?

I think that's probably it to be honest, and it doesn't make it right at all, but I just think we don't expect anything of Muslim nations. They've killed each other over nothing for thousands of years and they will continue to do so for thousands more, because a book means more to them than other lives.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it's that surprising. If you think about it, if you're family is at a a UN shelter (or other designated safe zone), who is the most likely person to be leaving for whatever reason? You aren't going to send out the children, nor the old (nor the women as much). So it leaves the men that are, say, 18-45. Then consider that the younger in that group are probably more likely to be stupid and/or daring (and/or fighting) and suddenly you expect that to be larger than a fool might expect.

Also if the old, due to experience, and young as they're taken with the old get to 'safe' areas relatively quickly they're less likely to die. Israel is quite stupid enough to blatantly target designated safe zones (clearly hospitals are excluded from that.

Doesn't mean that the attacks were totally indiscriminate/wise. Especially early on, looking at the targets it's as if the top brass of the IDF are idiots or naive. They attack civilian structures because that's where the top brass of Hamas live. As if they will still be there. As if it has any real impact on them, they will just evict somebody else (so, really, they're attacking the civilians there thinking about it). And the probability of civilian collateral is high.

Their choices of weapons/methods are hardly indiscriminate either. They like showing footage of just how accurate their missiles are, but completely omit how inaccurate the shells are from their propaganda reels. They may not have an infinite pot of cash, but with the amount they spend (and the US gives them) on their military they should be able to afford to take the moral high ground and use more discriminate weapons. They also seem to like going a bit overkill and using a tank shell when a bullet would be better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes I made a mistake.
    Who knew it? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Israel Recruited Students To Fight In Gaza War By Promising FREE University Tutition

http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/...-gaza-massacre

ReputationRep:
    This must be a Zionist's wet dream, literally getting paid to kill Arabs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by broscience123)
    This must be a Zionist's wet dream, literally getting paid to kill Arabs.
    Most armed services offer something like this, I'm not sure if it's a recruitment strategy per say, but something employed to allow reintegration into society after the conflict.

The British army does the same not with university but with things like pluming and other college related courses in anything really.

However in the case of this blog it is saying that it's the universities offering the free tuition, I'd hardly risk my life in a pointless conflict over a free degree or plumbing qualification. It's hardly a great recruitment strategy.

The best recruitment strategy is nationalism, stupid people believe in it and are willing to give their life for the primitive idea of the nation state. Israeli people are probably joining the army due to nationalism and the same for Hamas and ISIS. I firmly believe it is nationalism that is the main contributor to many of these pointless wars that we face (nationalism not patriotism, as in the idea of protecting ones 'nation').

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationalism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation_state

EDIT: I would quote other sources other than Wikipedia but you are not going to read a thesis the size of a book because of my forum post.

EDIT2: it is for the reason of nationalism that Hamas need to stop firing rockets because then there will no longer be a Israeli casus belli on Palestine, nationalism won't have a justification for attacking Palestine

So the conflict would stop but not the land dispute

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.