Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    He knew what he was signing up for.

Don't understand the obsession with playing with 2 up front. You lose more control of the game and expose your defence more. Having two crap strikers isn't going to add value.
    You might expose your own defence more, but with another striker you will also expose the oppositions defence more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    i disagree.

how easy is it for defenders to just makr balotelli out of the game - there's just one of him so it's easy.
    the fact is that if we had another striker, we'd likely be better in the opponents half
    whenever we're attacking we're stopping the opponents from doing so.

hoofing the ball up to balotelli isn't gonna do anything, just means the other team can gain possession and go on another attack.
    it isn't quite as simple as that but it's clear a sole striker up top is not working; why not at least try something different?
    Well that just means we need more vertical runners. I do wonder if Henderson should play AM instead? If we have 2 strikers and neither hold the ball up well, then we've got two passengers in the side instead of another passer in the side.

Ever wondered why very few teams now play with 2 out and out strikers?

(Original post by Rk2k14)
    You might expose your own defence more, but with another striker you will also expose the oppositions defence more.
    Our defence is bad enough, should we be exposing it anymore?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A sole striker would work if it was Sturridge. It doesn't work if it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    Well that just means we need more vertical runners. I do wonder if Henderson should play AM instead? If we have 2 strikers and neither hold the ball up well, then we've got two passengers in the side instead of another passer in the side.

Ever wondered why very few teams now play with 2 out and out strikers?

Our defence is bad enough, should we be exposing it anymore?
    i agree; runners is what we need.
    we can ***** all about how bad balotelli's finishing has been but in general we just aren't creating enough chances.

just because few teams play with 2 strikers, doesn't mean we can't.
    with sturridge we're fine playing one striker but we just don't have the back-up quality to play the same system when our first choice is out.
    that isn't all of the problems we have, but if we created more chances and spent more time in the opposition half, there would be so much less pressure on our defence and an overall higher level of morale in the side.

if rodgers plays a lone striker tomorrow, i guarantee we will be brushed aside without chelsea even playing at full force.

(Original post by Mackay)
    A sole striker would work if it was Sturridge. It doesn't work if it isn't.
    thats exactly how i feel - rodgers isn't changing the system even though the replacement strikers just aren't as capable as him.
    sturridge can make space for himself, beat players, score some excellent goals and make some awesome runs.
    balotelli is too immobile, borini is a handful on his day but just lacks the general level of quality needed, and lambert is a totally different type of player.

ReputationRep:
    For all those saying that we shoud play 2 strikers - are we going back to the diamond or a flat midfield of 4 and who are we dropping?

ReputationRep:
    The last time in watched Sturiddge upfront was a 1-0 scrappy win. I'm sure we won't be replicating that every game. :yum:

You need through balls to get the best out of Coutinhio and Co, i would always go for 2 stickers.... Unless the striker is Luis Suarez

ReputationRep:
    For all those saying that we shoud play 2 strikers - are we going back to the diamond or a flat midfield of 4 and who are we dropping?
    Going back to the diamond worked okay for us last season.

First XI should be:

Mignolet
    Manquillo Skrtel Lovren Moreno
    Gerrard
    Henderson Lucas/Can
    Coutinho
    Sturridge Balotelli

If we have to play a single striker they should be as a 4-3-3 but playing a lone striker up top just to accommodate summer signings in midfield blatantly isn't working.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)

First XI should be:

Mignolet
    Gerrard
    Henderson Lucas/Can
    Coutinho
    Sturridge Balotelli

If we have to play a single striker they should be as a 4-3-3 but playing a lone striker up top just to accommodate summer signings in midfield blatantly isn't working.
    We got destroyed in midfield last time we played Gerrard and Lucas in a diamond, it just doesn't work. You either play Lucas as a deep lying midfielder or Gerrard, not both.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, you use a narrow diamond to get control of the midfield. If you have players near to you it's possible to get control of the midfield that way. Take for example barca last season without Messi, they used Fabregas as an AM essentially with two strikers in front of him and they exercised great control of the game, if your midfield is good enough it will work. If it's not good enough then just focus on the strengths to negate your weaknesses, no point trying to polish a turd.

Plus Real controlled your midfield and against Barca's midfield playing a 4-2-2-2 not even a diamond. Italy use the diamond and get good possession against their opponents too. The 2 upfront leads to less control is dependent on the personnel you use. You have a Suarez on the team he's creating many chances, you have a sturridge on the team he's making runs for the midfielders to pick out quickly rather than ball hogging and slowing down play.

ReputationRep:

First XI should be:

Mignolet
    Gerrard
    Henderson Lucas/Can
    Coutinho
    Sturridge Balotelli

No Sterling, are you mad?

Sterling is Liverpool's best player along with Sturridge. I say drop Balotelli and play Sterling instead, that Coutinho-Sterling-Sturridge link would cause problems.

ReputationRep:

First XI should be:

Mignolet
    Gerrard
    Henderson Lucas/Can
    Coutinho
    Sturridge Balotelli

I definitely wouldn't play lucas over can in that system to be honest, but otherwise it looks good.
    Except for sterling's absence.

I think the only place he could realistically go would be atop the diamond however that would lose us the creation of coutinho.

Whatever we choose to do, I'm glad we have players like Coutinho/lallana/Markovic that might not be in the first team but would be nice subs.
    Makes a change from victor Moses last year...

ReputationRep:
    Lol Victor moses has been banging the assists for stoke, gets a goal or assist every two games.

You lot just didn't use him properly. He needs regular playing time, Benitez' rotation policy meant Moses got a lot of gametime.

He's essentially Gervinho.

ReputationRep:

First XI should be:

Mignolet
    Gerrard
    Henderson Lucas/Can
    Coutinho
    Sturridge Balotelli

So you'd drop Sterling to play 2 up front? Basically you're suggesting Lambert or Borini over Sterling?
    No point in including Sturridge since he's barely featured for us all season (although hopefully he'll be back after the next international fixtures?).

(Original post by jam277)
    Lol Victor moses has been banging the assists for stoke, gets a goal or assist every two games.

You lot just didn't use him properly. He needs regular playing time, Benitez' rotation policy meant Moses got a lot of gametime.

If Moses is that great, I'm sure he'll fit right back in at Chelsea :rolleyes:

Players have a type and a level. Moses is fundamentally a mid to lower table side player - he's very physical and therefore he will do well in any side which gives him space (such as while at Wigan and Stoke) but his touch and passing is too poor to do well at a top side like Chelsea and Liverpool where the opposition don't give you space.

ReputationRep:

Rotation policy lmao. You mean the rotating every manager does by using a 16-18 man squad? Fortunately Mourinho has the likes of Willian to fall back on if he doesn't want Oscar or Hazard playing. Rafa had Benayoun, Moses and Obi Mikel, Marko Marin, Nathan Ake and Demba Ba on the bench every week...

Moses was great though, I liked him. End product was awful like...

ReputationRep:
    3-0 chelsea for me today..

Really hope to be proved wrong, as I would love liverpool to win (chelsea need knocking down a peg to make the league more interesting!

But realistically, I am just not sure I see liverpool being able to score...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubzeh)
    Rotation policy lmao. You mean the rotating every manager does by using a 16-18 man squad? Fortunately Mourinho has the likes of Willian to fall back on if he doesn't want Oscar or Hazard playing. Rafa had Benayoun, Moses and Obi Mikel, Marko Marin, Nathan Ake and Demba Ba on the bench every week...

Moses was great though, I liked him. End product was awful like...
    I wasn't making a dig at Rafa. Just commenting on how he rotated our squad a lot(because we were in many competitions that season so can't complain)

Moses was good at Chelsea and while his end product is poor it's no worse than Salah. Only think Salah has got is that he is left footed.

If Moses is that great, I'm sure he'll fit right back in at Chelsea :rolleyes:
    This is funny because he fitted right in at Chelsea when he came who were and still are doing better than you season after season.

Players have a type and a level. Moses is fundamentally a mid to lower table side player - he's very physical and therefore he will do well in any side which gives him space (such as while at Wigan and Stoke) but his touch and passing is too poor to do well at a top side like Chelsea and Liverpool where the opposition don't give you space.
    Chelsea he did well for us though. Also you could say the exact same for Walcott, Schurrle, half of the colombian and Chile national teams and almost every single fast dribbling forward to come straight out of africa. Are the likes of Cuadrado, Sanchez, Walcott, Schurrle etc. mid table players then or what then?

ReputationRep:
    This is funny because he fitted right in at Chelsea when he came who were and still are doing better than you season after season.

Chelsea he did well for us though. Also you could say the exact same for Walcott, Schurrle, half of the colombian and Chile national teams and almost every single fast dribbling forward to come straight out of africa. Are the likes of Cuadrado, Sanchez, Walcott, Schurrle etc. mid table players then or what then?
    Only taken a half a billion in transfer fees and a wage bill which has always been 50% bigger than ours to achieve that. Well done :rolleyes:

He did so well at Chelsea that he's been loaned out for the last 2 seasons?

No because those players that you listed either have intelligent movement or a great first touch (or both). Moses has neither.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool to win 2-1 or draw at worst.
    Mourinho will take an extremely pessimistic approach after going 1 up and Liverpool are scoring late goals for fun this season.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Mignolet, Johnson, Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno, Can, Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Sterling, Balotelli

Subs: Jones, Toure, Lucas, Allen, Lallana, Borini, Lambert.

ReputationRep:
    Perplexed at how Johnson is getting starts, at least Allen has been dropped.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.