Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcg)
    I had a friend get in last year from Canada with a 600 average (scored 2400 on the old 4 part exam)
    So do you know if they weigh really high on statement or interview?

ReputationRep:
    Did my ukcat yesterday
    VR:540
    QR:770
    AR:690
    Total:2000 average:667
    SJT:Band 1
    Not really much to say that hasn't already been mentioned on this thread but basically not only does VR have really long texts I also found the questions themselves quite weird as in it felt like you had to have read the full text to fully be confident with an answer and with medify I was scoring 600-650 on the mocks so i was disappointed with the that sub score. Also with SJT so long as you practice a lot you should be able to get band 1 and I never actually got a band 1 in the mocks

With unis ive been looking at St georges, Manchester and Plymouth as correct me if im wrong im above the cut off scores for the their previous years but i think im playing it risky with manchester tho. Also hope the ukcat average goes down to around what it was last year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuba123)
    I was at an open day at Glasgow Uni earlier this year and they said approx 3 people in the previous year got unconditionals but I'm assuming these candidates have exceptional experience - like maybe working in important research in another field or perhaps some other prestigous routes - like maybe they're famous or something. Not sure how they got unconditionals but it's probably something amazing.
    I meant to say for AS, perhaps they did A-levels in one year?

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have any tips for VR? I'm really really struggling to take in the passage through a quick skim read and speeding is such massive issue with me *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellen111)
    does anyone have any tips for VR? I'm really really struggling to take in the passage through a quick skim read and speeding is such massive issue with me *
    Reading the whole passage and spending around 1.2 on prioritising then proceeding with the 8 without definitions. Flag if needed on the preliminary but without skimming you will most likely fall into the depository candidates whether you flag or not. Ensure the seconds are standardised and don't deviate. That's the best advisory consent i can give

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellen111)
    Keep practising and it will come with time. I really wouldn't recommend reading the passage first - it's just too time consuming and a lot of the time you'll try to remember irrelevant bits of info that won't even be required to answer the questions that come up. Especially considering most people have come out saying the passages in the actual exam are quite long; you don't want to lose out on a lot of valuable time.

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys reckon the average for VR will be this year? Took a look at the prelim scores on the UKCAT site earlier and ~580 seems a bit too low imo. Also, I got band 3 in my SJT, will this be frowned upon by UKCAT heavy unis (thinking of applying to Plymouth and UEA)?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Just did the VR mini mock and got 630. That section is going to kill me in the exam itself, but I've done all I can I guess. Gonna take the day off tomorrow and hope for the best on Thursday.

Good luck to anyone doing their exam tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASTK98)
    Just did the VR mini mock and got 630. That section is going to kill me in the exam itself, but I've done all I can I guess. Gonna take the day off tomorrow and hope for the best on Thursday.

Good luck. I scored the worst in VR (510).
    One thing I wish I did was not read most passages. I read the first 3 or 4 passages but realised I had 4 minutes left. I was left with educated guesses at the end....

I'm sure you'll do really well and get a score you'll be proud of! Good luck everyone!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astk98)
    just did the vr mini mock and got 630. That section is going to kill me in the exam itself, but i've done all i can i guess. Gonna take the day off tomorrow and hope for the best on thursday.

good luck😃😃😃

ReputationRep:
    I got Band 4 in my situational judgement. Do i still have hope? should i still consider applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roman hang Limbu)
    I got Band 4 in my situational judgement. Do i still have hope? should i still consider applying?
    Yeah, while I was researching I remembered seeing unis that don't really care about sj. However, I don't remember their names aha, so I suggest do your research and definitely apply if your total ukcat score is good )

ReputationRep:

I got 670 in the mini mock VR but then got 630 in mock 2😭 so frustrating isn't it. Best of luck for Thursday😋 I'm hoping AR drags up my score but I'm still awful at it lmao, what scores do you normally get for AR?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    I got 670 in the mini mock VR but then got 630 in mock 2😭 so frustrating isn't it. Best of luck for Thursday😋 I'm hoping AR drags up my score but I'm still awful at it lmao, what scores do you normally get for AR?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My AR scores are very inconsistent. They've ranged between 530 and 730 look. Generally around mid 600 though.

Thanks, you too! It's almost over 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My AR scores are very inconsistent. They've ranged between 530 and 730 look. Generally around mid 600 though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Omg same here! I think we should come out with a very similar score then! (and hopefully it will be a good one) 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy•)
    That is incredibly unrealistic, there is no point applying if they have so little chance of getting In. Whether you know people applying with ukcat of -120 or whagever it doesn't make a difference because who says they're even going to get looked at?
    Apply strategically so that you get offers is the smartest thing to do rather than say "you know what? I don't care I'm applying!" And the just getting a rejection and a wasted application space
    (Original post by Squishy•)
    Bmat is easier to prepare for, doing three weeks after school is fine; not ideal though.
    It really isn't that easy. I guess it depends on the individual.

I am saying because she doesn't want to leave Scotland, she may aswell fill in her choices instead of leaving them blank and not using all 4! Better to be hopeful and use what you have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuba123)
    Yeah, I know right - it's so overwhelming. A part of me can't wait to catch up - is that weird lool. And I've filled out a lot of my UCAS but probably going to change my choices a bit. Also, are you applying for a 5th option or are you just applying for 4 medical schools? Btw I still need to write a proper personal statement... XD And yeah, I just don't have the energy for the BMAT plus I don't think I want to go to the unis that use it - tbqh I don't really see someone like ME going to oxbridge XD - I'd be so out of place with my thick Scottish accent. But it's important that at the very least I'm in the same country as my family - I'd be too scared to travel THAT far away. I plan on going home atleast once a month for a weekend so that would be too much for me. Plus I know that Edinburgh have alcohol free accommodation because in the past students have been found dead. So THAT really appeals to me - the no alcohol thing. :/
    Whoah my application gets sent off next week... Lucky you!

I am sure you would be unique at Oxbridge haha. Your Scottish accent and 1st class degree from a great uni would be what you deserve

I love my family but to mee once a month on a weekend is a fair bit. I would come back maybe every holiday period (October, December, April, Summer). Don't have much problem being away but I do still love them very much <3

Oh wow! I never knew that for Edinburgh!!! If I lived away from home I would probs end up getting a house or something and living with some friends (either new ones or existing ones if they got in).

I am applying for a 5th because I don't really want to do Medicine that much to apply again. ESPECIALLY NOT THE UKCAT! -_-

But don't get me wrong, if you feel you could do well in BMAT and can leave home, go for it. Otherwise I would say it's going to be pretty hard to balance with school

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by michaela__)
    Omg same here! I think we should come out with a very similar score then! (and hopefully it will be a good one) 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah. Would really love for you guys to get your target scores! I feel like I am improving but don't want to jinx it!

Patterns like blocks tend to be adding or forming a shape etc.

Just keep going, you both are almost across the finishing line!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .......Jeff458)
    Yeah. Would really love for you guys to get your target scores! I feel like I am improving but don't want to jinx it!

Patterns like blocks tend to be adding or forming a shape etc.

Just keep going, you both are almost across the finishing line!!!!
    Aw thank you so much! I'm sure you are improving! I think it becomes easier to look for patterns after a while obvs not for every set, but you have an idea of what stands out the more you practice. I say this and I wouldn't be surprised if AR messed me over and I got 550 lol 😂 I think for all 3 of us whatever score we get in AR will be a surprise 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Just wanted to know what score people usually get while practising VR on Medify with the 40 questions setting. I can't seem to ever get more than 24 which is quite frustrating >.< Also, are the official UKCAT VR practice questions a representation of the real thing?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 22, 2017

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.