Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    They do live in the future, people die at any any age, some people die before being born. people don't die at the age 61.
    But that's the point. The people with a good chance of living should be voting and those likely to die and not face the consequences in the long term shouldn't

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    But that's the point. The people with a good chance of living should be voting and those likely to die and not face the consequences in the long term shouldn't

Posted from TSR Mobile
    People with a good chance of living? I could die at any moment, as could you. I could fall down my stairs or fall on my sword or fall on my brother which kills him as well. There's no such thing as living, as soon as we're born we begin dying.

"for he who isn't busy being born is busy dying" - Bob Dylan
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    People with a good chance of living? I could die at any moment, as could you. I could fall down my stairs or fall on my sword or fall on my brother which kills him as well. There's no such thing as living, as soon as we're born we begin dying.

"for he who isn't busy being born is busy dying" - Bob Dylan
    Thats the point of probability....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    You should read the Guardian article, not the headlines, Michael Gove's father was very clear with his comments.

Ernest Gove added in a statement. “Everybody in the north-east knows it was Europe that did such damage to the fish trade. The common fisheries policy was a disaster, not just for Aberdeen, but all of Scotland. There wasn’t any future for my business. It closed as a direct result of Europe."
    You're being selective with your quotes. He gave a whole host of Reaosns for closure and denied it was down to the EU as Gove suggested.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    You're being selective with your quotes. He gave a whole host of Reaosns for closure and denied it was down to the EU as Gove suggested.
    You are trying to spin something that was not said, it is clear from his statement he blames the EU directly for the closure of his business.

ReputationRep:
    You are trying to spin something that was not said, it is clear from his statement he blames the EU directly for the closure of his business.
    It didn't close or collapse. He sold it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, initially he blamed a whole range of factors - the cod wars, dock worker's strikes, limited space in ports to name a few.

However, he is now saying that it is 100% the EU. No doubt he is a little guilty having contradicted the stories his son made up.

The CFP is very mis-understood. It has done a great deal of good for UK fishermen and it has changed a lot since it first came about.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    I actually kinda agree with them... the over 60's wont have to deal with the long term consequences and are too pessimistic:sadnod:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We all know you have no respect or appreciation for your elders already

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    We all know you have no respect or appreciation for your elders already

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not ageist so I'd appreciate if you didn't try and imply that.
    Respect is also earned and not given...
    As for appreciation why should I apreciate them?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    It is clear why you should appreciate your elders, it was the tax of the elders that funded your education, that funded the hospital you were born in, that funded the education bills of your parents, and the hospitals your parents were born in, if the elders were not there working hard to support future generations you would not be here today: it is insulting to elderly people to questions why you should appreciate them.

For an individual who claims to not be ageist, wanting to burn their bodies to generate power, and being sympathetic to banning elderly people from voting in the EU referendum proves your disrespect for elderly people, and your ageist views. You want respect to be something that elderly people earn but you expect people to respect your views, respect your behaviour, and for elderly people to respect you if you were walking around the city, you have not done anything to earn that respect but you still expect respect. You see respect as something everyone else has to earn from you, but you believe you were born with respect; that is hypocritical.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    It is clear why you should appreciate your elders, it was the tax of the elders that funded your education, that funded the hospital you were born in, that funded the education bills of your parents, and the hospitals your parents were born in, if the elders were not there working hard to support future generations you would not be here today: it is insulting to elderly people to questions why you should appreciate them.
    so I have to appreciate them for obeying the law and being rational? For giving birth??? It's a very weird argument there...

For an individual who claims to not be ageist, wanting to burn their bodies to generate power, and being sympathetic to banning elderly people from voting in the EU referendum proves your disrespect for elderly people. You want respect to be something that elderly people earn but you expect people to respect your views, respect your behaviour, and for elderly people to respect you if you were walking around the city, you have not done anything to earn that respect but you still expect respect. You see respect as something everyone else has to earn from you but believe you are born with respect; this is hypocritical.
    I belive in forced cremation not burning people alive... Coffins are unsustainable you know...
    And that isn't disrespect. That is me being rational.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    so I have to appreciate them for obeying the law and being rational? For giving birth??? It's a very weird argument there...

I belive in forced cremation not burning people alive... Coffins are unsustainable you know...
    You are choosing to not understand the argument, the elderly people had a say in making the law, if the elderly people chose to have different laws, or chose to not have an NHS, or chose to not have free education, you would not be here today. For someone who argues to keep inheritance tax on the basis individuals should not benefit from luck, you are happy to benefit from the luck of being born in a country where elderly people made decisions that contributed to your birth; you are ignoring your own argument by disrespecting the elderly with ageist views.

No, it is disrespectful, some people have religious views about what happens to their body after death, some people do not want to be cremated, but you support burning them, and some elderly people do not want to donate organs but you are still happy to ignore their wishes by supporting a law to take organs from elderly people who are now incapable of notifying the government of their wishes. It is the same line of argumentation, you always state you are being rational but banning people form voting because you do not like their views is not rational, overriding beliefs because you want to get your own way is not rational, and wanting to drag the top down to force equality of outcome is not rational.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    You are choosing to not understand the argument, the elderly people had a say in making the law, if the elderly people chose to have different laws, or chose to not have an NHS, or chose to not have free education, you would not be here today. For someone who argues to keep inheritance tax on the basis individuals should not benefit from luck, you are happy to benefit from the luck of being born in a country where elderly people made decisions that contributed to your birth; you are ignoring your own argument by disrespecting the elderly with ageist views.
    if you are arguing that I should be against life because it's lucky that is very poor logic... If you are arguing that I shoudl leave the country because I'm lucky to be born in a first world county pry that's also poor logic.

No, it is disrespectful, some people have religious views about what happens to their body after death, some people do not want to be cremated, but you support burning them, and some elderly people do not want to donate organs but you are still happy to ignore their wishes by supporting a law to take organs from elderly people who are now incapable of notifying the government of their wishes. It is the same line of argumentation, you always state you are being rational but banning people form voting because you do not like their views is not rational, overriding beliefs because you want to get your own way is not rational, and wanting to drag the top down to force equality of outcome is not rational.
    Graveyards and very unproductive and coffins aren't environmentally friendly. The person is dead they do not matter. The good of society comes above what some dead person wants. And religion should have no impact on the state. I'm being pragmatic...
    I'm in favour of banning them because I belive they shouldn't get to make decisions that will have consequences long after they are dead. And you talk so much about dragging the top down but the top only get where they are because of the bottom.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    *cough*pensioner culling

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    *cough*pensioner culling

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Was a joke..l
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Was a joke..l
    Cue Jamie Vardy's catchphrase.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    Which camp did you visit? I've been to a few and I find it hard to articulate the experience.
    Buchenwald.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Once again Jacob Reece Mogg has proven the Remain campaign and their scaremonger wrong on all accounts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Once again Jacob Reece Mogg has proven the Remain campaign and their scaremonger wrong on all accounts

You're very easily influenced. Perhaps make your own opinions rather than viewing certain individuals as the source of all knowledge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)

Graves are a memorial , somewhere people can go to pay respects , lay flowers , photos etc . So banning coffins is banning people the right to pay respects

(Original post by Aph)
    if you are arguing that I should be against life because it's lucky that is very poor logic... If you are arguing that I shoudl leave the country because I'm lucky to be born in a first world county pry that's also poor logic.

Graveyards and very unproductive and coffins aren't environmentally friendly. The person is dead they do not matter. The good of society comes above what some dead person wants. And religion should have no impact on the state. I'm being pragmatic...
    I'm in favour of banning them because I belive they shouldn't get to make decisions that will have consequences long after they are dead. And you talk so much about dragging the top down but the top only get where they are because of the bottom.
    That is someones Father , Mother , Sister , Brother , Partner , Grandparent .. Of course they matter to someone ...When someone close to you dies you're stance is going to be " Oh well they are dead .... They do not matter to me anymore " >

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.