Ultimate EPQ thread watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: was this ?
    helpful
    62.47%
    not helpful
    37.53%

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me with what I'm supposed to fill in on the Project Proposal A ( AQA)

- the topic researched or activity/task to be carried out and sources to be consulted
    - the courses of study or area(s) of personal interest to which the topic relates

What do these parts actually mean?

ReputationRep:
    Could you guys give me some ideas on an EPQ surrounding Chinese history?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marcusroye98)
    I want to do it about natural disasters but especially volcanoes. Any ideas on a question?
    I don't really know what you're interested in. But maybe these few questions might help you decide,

Why did you choose volcanoes specifically?
    What is there about natural disasters that made you choose them?

I have no idea about natural disasters but you could get started here:
    Were there any natural disasters that actually were beneficial to development in humanity?
    Any aspects of volcanic eruptions which actually help to restore life in an area?
    Is it possible to predict natural disasters?
    Are casualties from volcanic disasters unavoidable?

You could maybe compare volcanic eruptions to other types disasters as well, or maybe compare the ways people deal with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karoel)
    I don't really know what you're interested in. But maybe these few questions might help you decide,

Why did you choose volcanoes specifically?
    What is there about natural disasters that made you choose them?

I have no idea about natural disasters but you could get started here:
    Were there any natural disasters that actually were beneficial to development in humanity?
    Any aspects of volcanic eruptions which actually help to restore life in an area?
    Is it possible to predict natural disasters?
    Are casualties from volcanic disasters unavoidable?

You could maybe compare volcanic eruptions to other types disasters as well, or maybe compare the ways people deal with them.
    Thanks!
    these questions are good
    I might for the last one

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain to me the difference between the AQA and the edexcel EPQs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SleepingStag)
    Can someone explain to me the difference between the AQA and the edexcel EPQs?
    They're different exam boards, so different companies that mark the projects. I guess they would have slightly different marking criteria. Other than that they should be really similar.

ReputationRep:
    Quick question: I'm doing an Artefact EPQ. Would it be useful putting in the different project ideas I've had so far and evaluating them before I decide on which EPQ to do?

ReputationRep:
    AQA EPQist in the making:
    Any advice for a football related epq?
    I was thinking about discussing whether taking a more attacking approach to the game is more effective then defending for the whole game.

or something to do with African teams being in decline?

or something to do with football celebrations(idk how that would work)

or something to do with the misconception of Mary in the catholic faith

Any ideas here which seem plausiable interms of research?

If it helps im doing:
    biology
    psychology
    english literature
    economics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrawlx101)
    AQA EPQist in the making:
    Any advice for a football related epq?
    I was thinking about discussing whether taking a more attacking approach to the game is more effective then defending for the whole game.

or something to do with African teams being in decline?

or something to do with football celebrations(idk how that would work)

or something to do with the misconception of Mary in the catholic faith

Any ideas here which seem plausiable interms of research?

If it helps im doing:
    biology
    psychology
    english literature
    economics
    I was thinking if you want to do something football related you might as well do some research into something recent like the world cup in Brazil (it's impact on people, environment, economy etc) i hope it helps you

ReputationRep:
    what about this:

Should celebrities be made to give a selection of their money to charity?

Is that okay?

ReputationRep:
    Hey all.

I started my EPQ about this time last year and finished it last October. I got an A grade (which I was very surprise about) so I guess I did well. If any of you want any advice with logbooks, research, the essay or the presentation. Just pop me a message/quote me or something

ReputationRep:
    it looks like a good idea but maybe rephrase the question so that you can do a lot of research on it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrawlx101)
    what about this:

Should celebrities be made to give a selection of their money to charity?

Is that okay?
    I think this would be a very interesting topic to do actually. The only thing I would say is why celebrities? If it is just because they have a very high income then what about the careers/professions out there that get the same amount of money? Maybe change your question to "should millionaires (or however you'd word it) be made to give a selection of their money to charity?

Or if the reason you're focusing on celebrities is because for some (not all!) they seem to get paid a lot for not much work/effort or talent therefore as they haven't really EARNED the money like maybe a successful entrepreneur may have done then I guess you're question would be well suited. Also things to think about -if you do go with this is a lot of celebrities are supporters of charities and have helped take part in the raising of lots of money - would those ones have to give a selection of their money on top of that?

Maybe another similar one you could do is "Are celebrities paid too much?"

Again really interesting question idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlomc)
    Hey all.

I started my EPQ about this time last year and finished it last October. I got an A grade (which I was very surprise about) so I guess I did well. If any of you want any advice with logbooks, research, the essay or the presentation. Just pop me a message/quote me or something
    What was it about? guessing it's a dissertation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karoel)
    What was it about? guessing it's a dissertation?
    Yeah. Mine was into the use of Hypnosis as a Psychological treatment. The effectiveness of it, whether it was more dangerous than helpful and comparing it to other treatments.

ReputationRep:
    I think this would be a very interesting topic to do actually. The only thing I would say is why celebrities? If it is just because they have a very high income then what about the careers/professions out there that get the same amount of money? Maybe change your question to "should millionaires (or however you'd word it) be made to give a selection of their money to charity?

Or if the reason you're focusing on celebrities is because for some (not all!) they seem to get paid a lot for not much work/effort or talent therefore as they haven't really EARNED the money like maybe a successful entrepreneur may have done then I guess you're question would be well suited. Also things to think about -if you do go with this is a lot of celebrities are supporters of charities and have helped take part in the raising of lots of money - would those ones have to give a selection of their money on top of that?

Maybe another similar one you could do is "Are celebrities paid too much?"

Again really interesting question idea
    "Are celebrities paid too much?

Think I'll go with that.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone explain the difference between the literature review and discussion (AQA syllabus)??? To my understanding, the literature review is presenting the facts, then the discussion is arguing an argument, is this correct?? Mine's hopefully on Renaissance Music during the Reformation, if there's enough research about it...

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me? I need an english literature epq idea. I'm on edexcel and want to analyse some texts but I'm not sure what to investigate.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Mine was into the use of Hypnosis as a Psychological treatment. The effectiveness of it, whether it was more dangerous than helpful and comparing it to other treatments.
    Hey, my epq topic is on effectiveness of a treatment too. its on leukaemia n im assessing the effectiveness of chemo. could you help me out? I jus started it a week ago and am stuck now which totally sucks. Could you please tell me the layout of your essay? and how many words did you reach?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nbi)
    Hey, my epq topic is on effectiveness of a treatment too. its on leukaemia n im assessing the effectiveness of chemo. could you help me out? I jus started it a week ago and am stuck now which totally sucks. Could you please tell me the layout of your essay? and how many words did you reach?
    Mine was about 4800 words. I broke my essay up into sections such as "Addiction" "Pain management" and "Behavior alteration". For each section I looked through various journals about how effective the Hypnosis treatment was (IE how many people improved and by how much) and compared it with other forms of treatment such as Champix for those with a smoking addiction and how effective that was compared to Hypnosis. I also looked into the side effects of each treatment/cost to help judge what was more appropriate.

I suggest you break yours into sections too. Maybe start of by just briefly explaining what Leukemia is and how Chemo works (you can take this out later if you go over the word count, but it's a good place to start - I did something similar for mine). Your next section could be on Chemo's success rates which you should include some statistics for and talk about the fact it's the most common treatment for Leukemia (I think it is but I cba to google it :L). You're next section could be on the side effects of it , psychological and physical and question whether putting people through the treatment is always worth it + whether the numerous side effects make chemo an appropriate treatment. You could research and perhaps find info/case study on people who turn down the treatment and talk about that. In your next section you could include a little about other treatments and evaluate how effective/appropriate they are and then compare that to chemo. In your conclusion just put everything together and think do you think that chemo is the best treatment or do you think others are better, even if they are better does the cost of them being taken on full scale stop them being the major treatment for Leukemia?

Some useful links I found quickly
    http://www.cancer.org/cancer/news/tr...ients-in-study
    http://www.mercola.com/article/cance...er_options.htm
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...t/con-20024914
    http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...h-from-cancer/

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.