Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    Half the problem in medicine is the latin. Dermatology for instance, stick anything latinate onto the end of erythema and you're onto a possibility.
    This was said during a talk from an ex UCL student, at their open day many moons ago. Is it some sort of UCL anecdote haha?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley90)
    Nothing wrong with being defensive especially if it's to try and repair common misconceptions about your med school.
    That's a futile mission.

ReputationRep:
    It's good to see some medical discussion in the Med soc for once haha,
    but the obligatory "my med school does/doesn't..." chat of course reared it's ugly head straight after.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Hannibal Lecter)
    It's good to see some medical discussion in the Med soc for once haha,
    but the obligatory "my med school does/doesn't..." chat of course reared it's ugly head straight after.
    Because an assumption was made that what was being discussed was somehow beyond the level of all/most medical students and medical schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    That's a futile mission.
    You sound like you've spent the best part of your life trying but failed o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carcinoma)
    Because an assumption was made that what was being discussed was somehow beyond the level of all/most medical students and medical schools.
    WE LIVE FOR THIS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley90)
    You sound like you've spent the best part of your life trying but failed o:
    I've not spent much time attempting it. I've seen people on here try though.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    WE LIVE FOR THIS
    Spoiler:
    Show

I suppose you're right.

ReputationRep:
    This was said during a talk from an ex UCL student, at their open day many moons ago. Is it some sort of UCL anecdote haha?
    What? Is it an anecdote that alot of dermatology has terms composed of erythema...+x? Erythema marginatum, erythema chronicum migrans, erythema nodosum, the list goes on and on.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    What? Is it an anecdote that alot of dermatology has terms composed of erythema...+x? Erythema marginatum, erythema chronicum migrans, erythema nodosum, the list goes on and on.
    A lot of skin conditions are red, so it does make sense.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone is more interested in fitness than fairness amongst inherently pretentious medical students I've just set up a running challenge on endomondo.com for a bit of friendly competition - it's free to register, all you need is a smart phone/a stopwatch.

Fastest 5K between now and 16th Sept wins a couriered Snickers DUO and a pat on the back from yours truly.

All welcome - http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/2234265

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzcat)
    If anyone is more interested in fitness than fairness amongst inherently pretentious medical students I've just set up a running challenge on endomondo.com for a bit of friendly competition - it's free to register, all you need is a smart phone/a stopwatch.

Fastest 5K between now and 16th Sept wins a couriered Snickers DUO and a pat on the back from yours truly.

I know I'll get beat. My time is pitiful :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    I know I'll get beat. My time is pitiful :sigh:
    can't be worse than mine lekky so at least you won't be last, I was a smoker for 3 years and just started running 3 weeks ago... the whole point of this is to motivate us to improve! :P

ReputationRep:
    It would so be worth getting in shape just to make you ride a train half way across the country.

ReputationRep:

Run? I specifically gave up playing football to avoid long periods of running :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    It would so be worth getting in shape just to make you ride a train half way across the country.
    dude please do...you could even treat the regular gunshots in Notts as your very own starting pistols!

ps. have a look at glhf.co.uk, it's a site set up by a guy that I used to play competitive counterstrike with. cheap as chips gaming PCs, he's a really nice guy too and will happily build you a custom spec'd one - although nothing beats the geek pride of your own build :P

ReputationRep:
    dude please do...you could even treat the regular gunshots in Notts as your very own starting pistols!

ps. have a look at glhf.co.uk, it's a site set up by a guy that I used to play competitive counterstrike with. cheap as chips gaming PCs, he's a really nice guy too and will happily build you a custom spec'd one - although nothing beats the geek pride of your own build :P
    Cheers. These seem pretty decent, tbh. Building my own would be nice, but there is an argument for just avoiding the faff; especially when I have so much more crap to be getting on with this summer.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I guessed what it meant, but i'll repeat what i was saying,
    the only times i've heard that certain anecdote (not sure why i'm using italics, but i'll follow suit) was at a UCL open day and from yourself, a UCL student.

So in jest i pointed out my observation to you, with a haha slapped on the end to emphasise that.

Spoiler:
    Show
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I guessed what it meant, but i'll repeat what i was saying,
    the only times i've heard that certain anecdote (not sure why i'm using italics, but i'll follow suit) was at a UCL open day and from yourself, a UCL student.

So in jest i pointed out my observation to you, with a haha slapped on the end to emphasise that.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I've been told dermatology consists of "do a biopsy and then give steroids" and also "describe what you see in Latin and prescribe steroids" :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Awesome

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.