Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    :laugh:
    There's a reason why Real/Bayern/Arsenal are queuing up to pay 40m for Saurez whilst there was scarcely any interest in Rooney at 20m and there's a reason why Suarez managed to score twice as many times as Rooney last season despite playing for a team that couldnt even qualify for the Europa...

Suarez is so much better than Rooney.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    In recent seasons we haven't seen the best of Rooney but we have seen the best of what Suarez can offer.

Alot of people have forgotten about Rooney's quality. After Ronaldo left in season 09/10 Rooney banged 26 goals and 34 all comps then Fergie got wise to the contract situation Berbatov took over despite this and injuries he was named PFA Player of the year and got 19 goals and 17 assists in that season. Season 11/12 he got 27 goals and 34 all comps then RVP was brought in and he took a dip. He's nationality has got nothing to do with it. Rooney is a top quality player, I'd have him as CF over Suarez any day.
    Lol Rooney is probably the only top English player tbh, most are quite average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    There's a reason why Real/Bayern/Arsenal are queuing up to pay 40m for Saurez whilst there was scarcely any interest in Rooney at 20m
    1) You are basing your claims on media speculation, which means nothing.

2) Suarez is more openly up for sale than Rooney, drastically changing the way the media speculates on who wants them.

3) Rooney has been linked to Bayern, RM, Barca + Chelsea. Again, speculation, means nothing for both sides. The fact Arsenal have made an official bid for Suarez isn't amazing, either.

and there's a reason why Suarez managed to score twice as many times as Rooney last season despite playing for a team that couldnt even qualify for the Europa...
    Well if you want to talk about objective numbers..

In 12/13 PL , Rooney scored or assisted more often than Suarez, Rooney did this whilst playing behind the main striker and in his 'below average season'. Rooney did this whilst taking much less shots than Suarez. Suarez took an obscene number of shots last season.

In 12/13 all club competitions combined, Rooney scored or assisted more often than Suarez, in a below average season, including a harder European competition.

Why not go deeper?

Rooneys defensive stats were better, he lost possession much less, he won possession more, his passing of all types and areas were pretty much more accurate (and did so whilst passing forwards more), shooting accuracy better, chance conversion better.

In fact the only real areas Suarez wins is in amount of dribbles, which would be obvious, his crossing accuracy, and marginally his chances created stat. (clear cut + normal)

Do we even need to start on 11/12 when Rooney was clearly much better? you know.. half of the time Suarez has spent in the PL? .. or are we suddenly saying we only focus on one season?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know whether the Asia tour matches will be shown on Arsenal player ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Derrick1509)
    Does anyone know whether the Asia tour matches will be shown on Arsenal player ?
    They won't be live, but full match replays will be available "as soon as the final whistle goes"

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-arc...arsenal-player

ReputationRep:
    I rate Higuain very highly but there's no way he's better than Rooney.

It goes Rooney>Suarez>Higuain

did a man just write rooney > suarez what life is this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thugnificent.)

did a man just write rooney > suarez what life is this
    Tommyjw summed it up brilliantly. Rooney can do what Suarez does and more.

ReputationRep:
    Sky Sports saying that in Italy there are reports to suggest that City have 'found an agreement' with Steven Jovetic. If that's the case, then the amount of potential striking options is declining quite dramatically. #bettergetamoveon

ReputationRep:
    Hearing all these rumours is akin to being tossed around by a farmer in his backyard

ReputationRep:
    Suarez> The current Rooney, I don't even know why we are discussing this....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidomo)
    Hearing all these rumours is akin to being tossed around by a farmer in his backyard
    ................................ ........................

..........................wait what?

ReputationRep:
    Tommyjw summed it up brilliantly. Rooney can do what Suarez does and more.
    With the right rhetoric, you can convince Einstein that 2+2=5 but it doesn't make you right. You still talking bull.

Suarez is much much much more better than Rooney. Why aren't United fans too bothered about losing him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    With the right rhetoric, you can convince Einstein that 2+2=5 but it doesn't make you right. You still talking bull.

Suarez is much much much more better than Rooney. Why aren't United fans too bothered about losing him.
    because he had a 'bad' season..

football fans are very fickle...

ReputationRep:
    It's not unusual to see Tommy get all defensive about Rooney, pretty sure he was insistent he is better than RVP for a very long time. That being said, the margin between the two are quite small but right now I would take Suarez, I'm not convinced Rooney has the same desire to win to be honest, going abroad might help him.

It's funny because Rooney constantly makes a mug out of United supporters by saying he wants to leave before being given a huge new contract. I do wonder if that's his ploy this time, because I do think he genuinely needs a change in scenery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Why aren't United fans too bothered about losing him.
    Because of his attitude and lack of respect towards the club, nothing to do with his ability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    It's not unusual to see Tommy get all defensive about Rooney, pretty sure he was insistent he is better than RVP for a very long time. That being said, the margin between the two are quite small but right now I would take Suarez, I'm not convinced Rooney has the same desire to win to be honest, going abroad might help him.

It's funny because Rooney constantly makes a mug out of United supporters by saying he wants to leave before being given a huge new contract. I do wonder if that's his ploy this time, because I do think he genuinely needs a change in scenery.
    Tommy was also adamant at one stage (about 2011 iirc) that most people would take Rooney over Messi. :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    because he had a 'bad' season..

football fans are very fickle...
    I would've told you the same thing last season. Heck, I've been dickriding Suarez since his early days at Liverpool. Amazing player. Massive ****.

(Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Because of his attitude and lack of respect towards the club, nothing to do with his ability.
    But you were so quick to forgive Ronaldo. His ability is part of the reason you find him dispensable. I'm sure that many Utd fan will have Suarez over him if Suarez wasn't a massive ****.

ReputationRep:
    "The manager also said that the battle for Premier League honours next season was not simply between the Manchester sides.
    "We have United, Chelsea, Tottenham - five or six teams who are trying to win the league. We will try to repeat what we achieved two seasons ago."
    Pelligrini

Anyone else just as disturbed as me? Spurs for the title over Arsenal, are you kidding me!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)

But you were so quick to forgive Ronaldo. His ability is part of the reason you find him dispensable. I'm sure that many Utd fan will have Suarez over him if Suarez wasn't a massive ****.
    Ronaldo isn't nearly as big a **** as Rooney (I don't even think he's a **** at all), and Ronaldo is obviously on a completely different planet to Rooney. A fit, motivated Rooney is as good as anyone in the league (so a Rooney without the attitude problems I mentioned), its as simple as that. Even a Rooney with the attitude problems is as productive as almost anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidomo)
    "The manager also said that the battle for Premier League honours next season was not simply between the Manchester sides.
    "We have United, Chelsea, Tottenham - five or six teams who are trying to win the league. We will try to repeat what we achieved two seasons ago."
    Pelligrini

Anyone else just as disturbed as me? Spurs for the title over Arsenal, are you kidding me!?
    Wouldn't read too much into it. He said five or six teams trying to win the league, that would consist of Chelsea, United and City with Arsenal and Spurs having outside shots. Would also put Liverpool in our category if they keep Suarez and make some more signings, but that seems unlikely at the minute.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.