The Commons Bar Mk VIII - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
talentedlobster
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ok, I'm up for the debate, a thread is probably better as we can have a day long event, allowing people to take a gap if needed. I may not be able to be in constant access to the site, but I should be able to post pretty much most of the day. In terms of having other things on, on the 31st, I may have some other thing happening in the evening that day, but I don't really want to go to it, so I will likely have nothing happening that day atm.
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by toronto353)
You're right in that each format has its downfalls. The trick, however, is to make what we've got work to our advantage without breaking the rules. I mean if we all know that a leader's debate is happening onsite, then we know that the leaders need to be online, know that we need to wait for their replies etc. This debate can definitely be done onsite, and indeed if it's going to happen must happen onsite, but it's about how we work around what we perceive to be the difficulties that this format throws at us.
True. No platform is perfect. I still find it strange that things can't be done offsite - do they get money for each post we make?
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jarred)
The Reddit one is thievery :fuhrer:
---

Anyway I'm afraid I must point out that what Faland says is 100% correct, we have to be very careful to avoid directing any activity off the site. I've seen people attempt it innocently several times (usually to create external party chat rooms for easier communication) without really realising it was a problem, but we have to remember that TSR is a business and it wants to keep you on here, so it would be against the rules to divert TSR activity off of here with things like a Skype MHoC debate.

If there were any sort of leader debates you'd need to do them in a thread really.
How much have they stolen?
toronto353
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nebelbon)
True. No platform is perfect. I still find it strange that things can't be done offsite - do they get money for each post we make?
I'm not sure of the exact reason, again Jarred might know. The best reason I can think of (and this is my personal opinion, not related to TSR) is very simply if your site hosted debates every single day and generated a lot of content in relation to the debate, would you then be happy about another website hosting all the hard work which has been generated and all the users generating it?
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not sure of the exact reason, again Jarred might know. The best reason I can think of (and this is my personal opinion, not related to TSR) is very simply if your site hosted debates every single day and generated a lot of content in relation to the debate, would you then be happy about another website hosting all the hard work which has been generated and all the users generating it?
I understand that part. But what are you views on chats between members offsite about things on the site; it wouldn't be public at all. I was thinking about including something like this in a leadership pledge but i guess i won't now :L
toronto353
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I understand that part. But what are you views on chats between members offsite about things on the site; it wouldn't be public at all. I was thinking about including something like this in a leadership pledge but i guess i won't now :L
But surely that's what PMs are for? Again PMs are what you make of them, but are very useful.
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
But surely that's what PMs are for? Again PMs are what you make of them, but are very useful.
Partially. They are not as quick as IMs though. Also there is a limit to the number and to the number of people you can send them to if you are not a sub.
toronto353
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Partially. They are not as quick as IMs though. Also there is a limit to the number and to the number of people you can send them to if you are not a sub.
I've never had any complaints with the PM system and it's always worked fine for me on here. I see that the limit is annoying (having just encountered it myself), but if you need mass PMs to go out, you can always ask the Speaker, Jarred or myself.
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've never had any complaints with the PM system and it's always worked fine for me on here. I see that the limit is annoying (having just encountered it myself), but if you need mass PMs to go out, you can always ask the Speaker, Jarred or myself.
It is OK, but there are much better ways. Maybe TSR are working on incorporating some IM feature for faster and hassle free communication.
toronto353
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It is OK, but there are much better ways. Maybe TSR are working on incorporating some IM feature for faster and hassle free communication.
It's something which you could suggest to TSR. It may not get taken up, but it's something which you could suggest and see how it goes.
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's something which you could suggest to TSR. It may not get taken up, but it's something which you could suggest and see how it goes.
I might as well. It probably won't ever become anything because of the time it would take, but it is worth a shot.
toronto353
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I might as well. It probably won't ever become anything because of the time it would take, but it is worth a shot.
Precisely. You've lost nothing through asking.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
August 31st for a debate? Should it not be about Scottish independence?
Ruitker
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
UKIP Official Apology
Delivered by Ruitker, Chairman, TSR UKIP.

It’s a funny old world. As too, it is a house. The last few weeks have unearthed a whole array of questionable opinions, remarks and actions from UKIP members, all acting as a cynosure to justifiable attacks by fellow members of the house. I apologise to you today promising on behalf of UKIP to better excogitate our future doings; we plan to change our image away from being saxicolous and racist idiots sitting in a pub’s corner into being forward-thinking, modern revolutionaries on a mission to better the country.

In regards to the specifics, Adam realises he cannot be the unencumbered and maledicent headless chicken offending half of the house if he wishes to be the UKIP leader. He is changing. Nebelbon has realised use of questionable tactics to gain an advantage is unacceptable. He is changing. UKIP MP’s realise voting how they like does not achieve the wider party principles which are to be laid out in the coming days. They are changing. I recognise one-upmanship and a childlike attitude gets me nowhere. I am changing. Sorry for the past (you know who I offended so this is aimed at you). As a party we realise using charientism and rhetoric is unacceptable. We are changing. Similarly, we ask for your views to slowly change, or at least remain open to changing. It will not be instant but we hope our future actions will reveal a new UKIP.

We aim for UKIP to become the ebullient bellwether over the coming months to demonstrate there is more to us than Europe and immigrants. We love argument, we love debate. We don't expect you just to sit there and agree with us, that's not your job.
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ruitker)
UKIP Official Apology

It’s a funny old world. As too, it is a house. The last few weeks have unearthed a whole array of questionable opinions, remarks and actions from UKIP members, all acting as a cynosure to justifiable attacks by fellow members of the house. I apologise to you today promising on behalf of UKIP to better excogitate our future doing; we plan to change our image away from being saxicolous and racist, idiots sitting in a pub’s corner into being forward-thinking, modern revolutionaries on a mission to better the country.

In regards to a specific, Adam realises he cannot be the unencumbered and maledicent headless chicken offending half of the house if he wishes to be the UKIP leader. He is changing. Nebelbon has realised use of questionable tactics to gain an advantage is unacceptable. He is changing. UKIP MP’s realise voting how they like does not achieve the wider party principles which are to be laid out in the coming days. They are changing. I recognise one-upmanship and a childlike attitude gets me nowhere. I am changing. Sorry for the past (you know who I offended so this is aimed at you). As a party we realise using charientism and rhetoric is unacceptable. We are changing. Similarly, we ask for your views to slowly change, or at least remain open to changing. It will not be instant but we hope our future actions will reveal a new UKIP.

We aim for UKIP to become the ebullient bellwether over the coming months to demonstrate there is more to us than Europe and immigrants. We love argument, we love debate. We don't expect you just to sit there and agree with us, that's not your job.
Here Here!
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
August 31st for a debate? Should it not be about Scottish independence?
Are we going to have an independence debate? Find me a suitable time and I'd be happy to take part (for the No side), but I'm not Scottish so maybe it's best I don't...
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ruitker)
UKIP Official Apology

It’s a funny old world. As too, it is a house. The last few weeks have unearthed a whole array of questionable opinions, remarks and actions from UKIP members, all acting as a cynosure to justifiable attacks by fellow members of the house. I apologise to you today promising on behalf of UKIP to better excogitate our future doing; we plan to change our image away from being saxicolous and racist, idiots sitting in a pub’s corner into being forward-thinking, modern revolutionaries on a mission to better the country.

In regards to a specific, Adam realises he cannot be the unencumbered and maledicent headless chicken offending half of the house if he wishes to be the UKIP leader. He is changing. Nebelbon has realised use of questionable tactics to gain an advantage is unacceptable. He is changing. UKIP MP’s realise voting how they like does not achieve the wider party principles which are to be laid out in the coming days. They are changing. I recognise one-upmanship and a childlike attitude gets me nowhere. I am changing. Sorry for the past (you know who I offended so this is aimed at you). As a party we realise using charientism and rhetoric is unacceptable. We are changing. Similarly, we ask for your views to slowly change, or at least remain open to changing. It will not be instant but we hope our future actions will reveal a new UKIP.

Lovin' the vocab. :yy:
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I should remind members that the Great British Beer Festival takes place this week which I and other members may choose to visit, in case you notice the bar being a little quieter.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
Are we going to have an independence debate? Find me a suitable time and I'd be happy to take part (for the No side), but I'm not Scottish so maybe it's best I don't...
We do indeed have the referendum next month on TSR.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
We do indeed have the referendum next month on TSR.
Yes, so are we going to have a debate like the proposed leadership one (or even a campaign for that matter)?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (161)
18.44%
No (530)
60.71%
Not really bothered about them (182)
20.85%

Watched Threads