Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Two lessons tomorrow and I've not planned either of them. I've just had no motivation tomorrow.

I think I'm just going to go to bed now, get up at 6 and plan before I leave for school at half 7.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    Two lessons tomorrow and I've not planned either of them. I've just had no motivation tomorrow.

I think I'm just going to go to bed now, get up at 6 and plan before I leave for school at half 7.
    Eep good luck. My placement expects everything in atleast 48 hours before hand so the most i do at the weekend lesson planning wise is perhaps some for thursday and friday and some last minute adjustments to the early week ones to work on certain aspects (differentiation etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Eep good luck. My placement expects everything in atleast 48 hours before hand so the most i do at the weekend lesson planning wise is perhaps some for thursday and friday and some last minute adjustments to the early week ones to work on certain aspects (differentiation etc)
    My first placement was like that but second placement don't really want anything in advance! which is lucky but also bad because I know what I'm like!

ReputationRep:
    My first placement was like that but second placement don't really want anything in advance! which is lucky but also bad because I know what I'm like!
    Yeah my first placement was really chilled so id always end up working on resources for hours the night before, in some ways this has really helped me be organised and has made things far less stressful planning wise, now all the stress is in actually just teaching the lesson well and doing our assignments!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Yeah my first placement was really chilled so id always end up working on resources for hours the night before, in some ways this has really helped me be organised and has made things far less stressful planning wise, now all the stress is in actually just teaching the lesson well and doing our assignments!
    Only got the one assignment left thankfully now.

I think it's cus this is my first week teaching since December that I've forgotten how to be stressed about it :') I'm sure tomorrow will shock me into gear!

ReputationRep:
    My new timetable for second placement works out so that Monday and Tuesday are super stressful and the rest of the week is pleasant. It is good I guess, but means Sunday nights are the worst because I just end up dreading the next couple of days :/

Really can't wait for June. I am literally crossing off the days in my placement handbook :awesome: . It feels like there's still a lot to do yet though. The end definitely isn't in sight just yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    My new timetable for second placement works out so that Monday and Tuesday are super stressful and the rest of the week is pleasant. It is good I guess, but means Sunday nights are the worst because I just end up dreading the next couple of days :/

Really can't wait for June. I am literally crossing off the days in my placement handbook :awesome: . It feels like there's still a lot to do yet though. The end definitely isn't in sight just yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahh same! Well, my week A monday's are a full day and then the rest of the week is quite chilled - tuesday are just observation days so it's a bit of a rest :')

Only 19 school days for me till Easter break!

Kinda dreading when my timetable goes up to the full five days after easter!

And it's only 4 months today until my NQT job starts... D:

ReputationRep:
    Ahh same! Well, my week A monday's are a full day and then the rest of the week is quite chilled - tuesday are just observation days so it's a bit of a rest :')

Only 19 school days for me till Easter break!

Kinda dreading when my timetable goes up to the full five days after easter!

And it's only 4 months today until my NQT job starts... D:
    Oh yeah, it's only 19 for me too. Woop!

Five full days after easter?! That's a lot! Why so much?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, it's only 19 for me too. Woop!

Five full days after easter?! That's a lot! Why so much?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think I've got an extra 5 lessons a week after the easter break. As well as my collabs and observations. Not looking forward to it, but, I guess it'll better prepare me for a real teaching job...

Nervous about teaching tomorrow after not having taught since december!

ReputationRep:
    How have people been improving their subject knowledge for primary english?

Seems like a lot of universities recommend books - but I kind of wish there was online content as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tombola)
    How have people been improving their subject knowledge for primary english?

Seems like a lot of universities recommend books - but I kind of wish there was online content as well.
    You can use resources designed for primary age children, like the BBC schools stuff.

Also the Oxford English Dictionaries site is good for checking grammar and punctuation stuff.

Regarding phonics there are quite a lot of youtube videos about.

Other than that there is a really good book called 'English for Primary and the Early Years: Developing subject knowledge' by Ian Eyres. It's kind of like a dictionary of terms with explanations and examples, very useful for just dipping in to when you're unsure about something.

I generally go for an in bits approach, looking stuff up as it comes up in what I'm teaching soon. Rather than generally try to sit and learn everything. You could go through the curriculum too though like a tick list.

Tbh I also got a LOT of my subject knowledge through doing my English subject knowledge assignment and looking in the above book, googling or asking tutors. Also a couple of subject knowledge based optional sessions the uni ran. I loved my uni!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The CAB have got back in touch with me (I rang them to arrange an appointment to help with my complaint on Thursday) and the earliest they can see me is in three weeks I'm suppose to go in for a grading tutorial on Wednesday; not sure if I should say something then. I've already told the tutor who it is with that I'm going to be dropping out and she said to go to it anyway. Another student on my course said she put a complaint to the college about the course in December and still hasn't heard anything back. This PGCE has caused a lot of stress for me lately; just not that type most PGCE students experience though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A job application form wants the usual supporting statement which I've done, but then they also want you to attach a cover letter stating why you want the job plus your class data. Obviously class data isn't applicable to me and I've covered why I want the job in my supporting statement, so I'm unsure what to put in the cover letter?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A job application form wants the usual supporting statement which I've done, but then they also want you to attach a cover letter stating why you want the job plus your class data. Obviously class data isn't applicable to me and I've covered why I want the job in my supporting statement, so I'm unsure what to put in the cover letter?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The terms are used to mean different things but in general a cover letter is a very brief letter simply highlighting the main points from your application. You always send one even if not directly asked for. Something like:

Dear x

Please find attached my application for the post of Y at School, as advertised on JobSite. THANK FOR APPLICATION PACK IF APPLICABLE.

As you will note from my application I am a pgce student with experience of teaching x in y schools through placement. I LIST SOME KEY SKILLS. JUST 2 OR 3.

2 SENTENCE PARAGRAPH ON WHY YOU LIKE THAT SCHOOL/WOULD BE A GOOD FIT.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    This morning I had one of my absolute worst lessons ever (my ict isn't very strong yet) and then this afternoon I had my most amazing computing lesson ever.

We're learning hex codes through RGB colour and they were muttering about the dress the whole way through and then right at the end I asked them to convert one last RGB colour and it's the colour from the dress and the big reveal really paid off.

I absolutely adore teaching computing :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    This morning I had one of my absolute worst lessons ever (my ict isn't very strong yet) and then this afternoon I had my most amazing computing lesson ever.

We're learning hex codes through RGB colour and they were muttering about the dress the whole way through and then right at the end I asked them to convert one last RGB colour and it's the colour from the dress and the big reveal really paid off.

Dont worry, i had an absolute shocker of one last thing. Trying to teach logic gates and panicked thinking they were getting through material too quickly, os tried to do a bit of initiative and introduce them to next lessons topic and got a total wtf from my mentor...absolute cluster....totally gutted, cried afterwards and just felt so dissapointed in myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    The terms are used to mean different things but in general a cover letter is a very brief letter simply highlighting the main points from your application. You always send one even if not directly asked for. Something like:

Dear x

Please find attached my application for the post of Y at School, as advertised on JobSite. THANK FOR APPLICATION PACK IF APPLICABLE.

As you will note from my application I am a pgce student with experience of teaching x in y schools through placement. I LIST SOME KEY SKILLS. JUST 2 OR 3.

2 SENTENCE PARAGRAPH ON WHY YOU LIKE THAT SCHOOL/WOULD BE A GOOD FIT.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Brilliant. Thank you so much for this - immensely helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)

We were just talking about about. What colour was it revealed to be? I really want to know.

My flatmate works in computer and looked it up and he couldn't remember what the answer was.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else feel like they just don't fit in with their current school?

I loved my last placement - looked forward to every day and just wanted to get stuck in, I even applied for a job there and was successful (so looking forward to September now!)
    But the school I'm in now I just can't get on with, It's made me realise how important the school/department's 'values' are - something I thought was a bit wishy-washy before. I'm really confused and down because I know I can be a good teacher, and I was at my previous school, but because I just can't get on well in this current school, im really underperforming and it's getting me down. I'm at the point now where since January I've had 3 days off through depression/stress whereas last term I had no absences. Theres only 7 more full weeks at this school now, but surely I shouldn't be counting down already?!

Anyone else in this situation or a similar one? Thanks for reading and letting me vent.

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask - is it a bad idea to be honest with your school mentor that you're not sure about teaching anymore?

(Original post by YGB Jammy)
    Anyone else feel like they just don't fit in with their current school?

I loved my last placement - looked forward to every day and just wanted to get stuck in, I even applied for a job there and was successful (so looking forward to September now!)
    But the school I'm in now I just can't get on with, It's made me realise how important the school/department's 'values' are - something I thought was a bit wishy-washy before. I'm really confused and down because I know I can be a good teacher, and I was at my previous school, but because I just can't get on well in this current school, im really underperforming and it's getting me down. I'm at the point now where since January I've had 3 days off through depression/stress whereas last term I had no absences. Theres only 7 more full weeks at this school now, but surely I shouldn't be counting down already?!

Anyone else in this situation or a similar one? Thanks for reading and letting me vent.
    Yep! I've written a countdown in my diary. Difference is I didn't like my first school much either. I am massively underperforming though compared to how I finished my last placement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.