Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Given that she's a Labour MP it's hard to imagine that it wasn't a targeted attack, particularly if it's true that the attacker was shouting 'Britain first'.

I may be wrong on this, but my prediction would be that this kind of attack will increase dramatically in frequency over the next few months.
    According to the Independent she was also stabbed; I'd think it quite unlikely to be crossfire if it is true?

ReputationRep:
    Given that she's a Labour MP it's hard to imagine that it wasn't a targeted attack, particularly if it's true that the attacker was shouting 'Britain first'.

I may be wrong on this, but my prediction would be that this kind of attack will increase dramatically in frequency over the next few months.
    Where have you saw the reports of Britain first being shouted? I have only saw an article saying they have been shot and stabbed.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    You don't mean because she's Labour, you mean because she's remain. It's also worth noting that this sort of incident does happen every few years
    No, it'll be because she's Labour - I'd wager it's one of the radical alt right anti Islam crowd.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Where have you saw the reports of Britain first being shouted? I have only saw an article saying they have been shot and stabbed.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7085656.html
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Apparently a Labour MP has been shot by a terrorist shouting 'Britain first'. Now I wonder if we're going to see all the righties crowding round with cries of condemnation and loudly publicising how the right wing has a violent anti-left-winger problem.....nah, thought not.
    I've always been scared that brexiters would start using violence...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    With regards to the crossfire, having gone and done reading about it rather than relying on third hand stuff, she got involved in a scuffle that was already ongoing according to some, the gun came out during it.

ReputationRep:
    The story is interesting, it could have been a far right lunatic but also consider that it is a eye witness report and sometimes this isn't the most reliable data, in Orlando eye witnesses reported multiple shooters.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    I've always been scared that brexiters would start using violence...
    I'm fairly confident this isn't to do with the EU debate.
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    The story is interesting, it could have been a far right lunatic but also consider that it is a eye witness report and sometimes this isn't the most reliable data, in Orlando eye witnesses reported multiple shooters.
    True, but it's unlikely to be made up, especially if it was by a random person.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I'm fairly confident this isn't to do with the EU debate.

True, but it's unlikely to be made up, especially if it was by a random person.
    The article seems to give 2 to 3 different stories...
    But if a person yells 'Britain first' then it's reasonable to assume that they are a brexiter and are motivated by their want to leave.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If the correct person was arrested I would not be one bit surprised by a confession and reason given, statement by the police later, potentially including the reason depending on what it is, and then the shooter trying to get off by being institutionalised rather than sent to prison.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Looks like the police are already finished at the scene
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    The article seems to give 2 to 3 different stories...
    But if a person yells 'Britain first' then it's reasonable to assume that they are a brexiter and are motivated by their want to leave.
    No, if someone yells 'Britain first' it's reasonable to assume that they're an alt right nut because of what else 'Britain first' refers to.....
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No, if someone yells 'Britain first' it's reasonable to assume that they're an alt right nut because of what else 'Britain first' refers to.....
    Does that mean that if I shout "freedom" in a country with a Freedom Party I am necessarily talking about the party rather than the abstract?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Does that mean that if I shout "freedom" in a country with a Freedom Party I am necessarily talking about the party rather than the abstract?
    Well, it's dependent on context but it's more likely than not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well, it's dependent on context but it's more likely than not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So with the context of a week until the referendum on EU membership happening...it was referring to the party?

Either way, looking like a head case.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Britain first is left wing... And anti immigration so again brexiter. Just because you don't want to belive that the cause you support can be wrong...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Britain first is left wing... And anti immigration so again brexiter. Just because you don't want to belive that the cause you support can be wrong...
    inb4nothey'refarright

ReputationRep:
    Don't think Britain First has anything like what one might consider a coherent economic policy.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Don't think Britain First has anything like what one might consider a coherent economic policy.
    They don't have anything coherent as far as I'm aware.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This attack or terrorists attack ( nothing been confirmed ) I generally think after reading reports it does sound politically motivated.... Doubt the Europe debate but if the reports of " Britain First" being shouted then Its hard to think otherwise .... Nothing is clear

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.