Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Can I ask - is it a bad idea to be honest with your school mentor that you're not sure about teaching anymore?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it's best to be honest. Maybe the two of you could work out why you feel that way and perhaps put strategies in place to make you feel more positive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask - is it a bad idea to be honest with your school mentor that you're not sure about teaching anymore?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think there's a teacher alive who hasn't questioned if it's right for them at some point, and a good mentor should be able to give you an objective point of view to help you sort your own mind out. I'd say honestly is the best policy.

ReputationRep:
    A job application form wants the usual supporting statement which I've done, but then they also want you to attach a cover letter stating why you want the job plus your class data. Obviously class data isn't applicable to me and I've covered why I want the job in my supporting statement, so I'm unsure what to put in the cover letter?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would make it brief - half a page. Talk about your key skills (2/3), give examples and then a little bit about why you like the school

Even if you're not sure about it, does it matter? A PGCE is so tough, that noone is going to judge you if at the end of it, you decide that you don't want to teach I would be honest with your mentor - maybe once talking about it, some strategies could be put in place which might change your mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I stupidly stressed myself out by looking at NQT things...I had no idea we could even fail the NQT year and if we do, we're not allowed to teach in the state sector...

I also don't really have things like data entry etc. I don't even have a markbook and my teaching file from placement 1 is dire. I don't have one yet for placement 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myblueheaven339)
    I think it's best to be honest. Maybe the two of you could work out why you feel that way and perhaps put strategies in place to make you feel more positive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I don't think there's a teacher alive who hasn't questioned if it's right for them at some point, and a good mentor should be able to give you an objective point of view to help you sort your own mind out. I'd say honestly is the best policy.

(Original post by Samus2)
    I would make it brief - half a page. Talk about your key skills (2/3), give examples and then a little bit about why you like the school
    Thanks for the replies. I do want to tell the truth but uni are always saying we shouldn't because it sends a 'bad image' but meh, I would prefer to be honest. She is lovely so I'm hoping she hold it against me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    I stupidly stressed myself out by looking at NQT things...I had no idea we could even fail the NQT year and if we do, we're not allowed to teach in the state sector...

I also don't really have things like data entry etc. I don't even have a markbook and my teaching file from placement 1 is dire. I don't have one yet for placement 2.
    I remember that moment of realisation... Panic!

However it is nowhere near as scary as you think. You mentor just gives you points to work on. You'd have to be abysmal to fail NQT, if you pass the PGCE you should be absolutely fine. Plus it's a very open process so if things aren't going great you should know very early, and the school has to show what they're doing to give you extra support if you're in danger of not passing. And if it really comes to it you can always stop after a term and do some supply to boost skills then carry on when you're ready.

Data entry seems crazy as a student but again it just becomes normal as a teacher. You'd be surprised how easy it is to adjust to the extra stuff to do when you have your own class/es.

My best advice is to take pictures and photocopies of everything that shows evidence towards the teaching standards and put it all in a folder. With a contents list of what standards are evidenced. Do it as you go along and you'll easily be able to demonstrate all you need to.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Yep! I've written a countdown in my diary. Difference is I didn't like my first school much either. I am massively underperforming though compared to how I finished my last placement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We were told to tell our co-ordinator (based in another school). It might be better to look at why you're not sure about teaching any more - is it to do with support or something else your mentor can help with? If it's just teaching in general you're probably better off not mentioning it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    We were told to tell our co-ordinator (based in another school). It might be better to look at why you're not sure about teaching any more - is it to do with support or something else your mentor can help with? If it's just teaching in general you're probably better off not mentioning it.
    Hmm, yeah it is teaching in general. It is hard to keep it to myself but whenever someone at school is talking to me about jobs or something I have to put on such an act, and I get such weird looks when people find out I've only applied for one job :lol: .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how common it is to fail a PGCE?

ReputationRep:
    When I was subject mentor for two universities, which I admit was more than 15 years ago now, it was almost unheard of. We had a student who both the central mentor and I felt should fail (and it was only one out of many, over several years) but the university would not allow us to fail her. I have been out of the loop for a long time now, but I would be surprised, given the financial investment that is made these days, if the attitude was very different.

ReputationRep:
    I remember reading somewhere that the failure rate was 1%; however the drop out rate is fairly high.

ReputationRep:
    I second the above. Anecdotally, the failure rate is very low. I know a couple who dropped out who perhaps would have failed if they continued, a couple who passed but failed the skills tests (can't happen this year) and one who actually got to the end and failed. They went on to do a further term to try and pass... I don't know the outcome!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm really starting to feel it now and I'm not yet even on my full timetable. Next week I pick up my last three classes and I don't know how people have the energy to do it.

Teaching my first three back to back lessons today and I'm nervous because my last one is going to be observed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got the impression that failure was very unusual but that a number of people were encouraged to leave before they failed.

On my course, someone mysteriously disappeared (without a word, just deleted us all on Facebook and then we heard they had left) just around the time that people were being put on cause for concern on the final placement. One of my friends was in the same boat and had to continue her full timetable for an extra 3 weeks (when the rest of us had our timetables reduced to finish off projects etc.) in order to meet the standards and pass. My suspicion is that the other person was advise that they were not on track to pass, questioned whether they were really cut out for teaching, and quit as a result.

There was also someone in a different subject area who was considered unready and was asked to leave the course and defer a year to get more work/life experience before coming back to do the PGCE the following year.

The numbers certainly dwindled without anyone being officially failed, so I think some of them were pushed to quit.

ReputationRep:
    I found out that if I have to complete my hours in September I can get student fiance. I'm going have to decide by Easter what I want to do. I've applied to do it somewhere else in September but been thinking maybe if my mentor is able to give me hours then I'll finish it off where I am currently(there's no way I'm relying on the tutors to find me hours!).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmam)
    I found out that if I have to complete my hours in September I can get student fiance. I'm going have to decide by Easter what I want to do. I've applied to do it somewhere else in September but been thinking maybe if my mentor is able to give me hours then I'll finish it off where I am currently(there's no way I'm relying on the tutors to find me hours!).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Liking the autocorrect student fiancé! Really hope this works out for you. You have been messed around quite enough.

ReputationRep:
    Liking the autocorrect student fiancé! Really hope this works out for you. You have been messed around quite enough.
    Ha I didn't notice that I do too. I know there's no way I'm going to pass in June now; I'm not sure if I want to be a teacher any more but I don't know if my feelings are partly due to being messed around so much. I'm going in for a grading tutorial later; suppose to be done when you've had at least 50 hours and two observations. I've had 20 and none but my tutor still insists I come in. What a joke!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmam)
    Ha I didn't notice that I do too. I know there's no way I'm going to pass in June now; I'm not sure if I want to be a teacher any more but I don't know if my feelings are partly due to being messed around so much. I'm going in for a grading tutorial later; suppose to be done when you've had at least 50 hours and two observations. I've had 20 and none but my tutor still insists I come in. What a joke!
    Indeed so. It's quite shocking. Let us know how it turns out.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed so. It's quite shocking. Let us know how it turns out.
    Will do. Another student who is in the same position as me told me she went in for hers last week and was told they couldn't grade her yet so I'm not expecting much from it.

ReputationRep:
    Went to my tutorial. She heavily suggested that I drop out. If I leave now I can get Level 3 Award in Education and Training (new name for PTTLS).

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.