The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cowsforsale
Why do you think that?

Please read it.

I did read it. It doesn't once mention, and I've never seen anyone from the Yes campaign ever mention, the increased expenditure an independent Scotland will face.

They all seem to believe the stuff like 'Revenue Scotland' and the Scottish Broadcasting Service would be free of charge...
Original post by Choo.choo
I will say it again. The UK Government is over £1trillion in debt. That is bankruptcy. What is the strategy or plan to pay off that debt? The austerity package has made the debt worse. Chucking hundreds of thousands of people out of a job won't solve the debt crisis.

Having debt is not tantamount to bankruptcy. Unemployment is at its lowest in 5 years.

Stop being so blind to the reality that the UK is doing well for itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Qwertish
I did read it. It doesn't once mention, and I've never seen anyone from the Yes campaign ever mention, the increased expenditure an independent Scotland will face.

They all seem to believe the stuff like 'Revenue Scotland' and the Scottish Broadcasting Service would be free of charge...

What increased expenditure?
Scotland already pays its way as part of the UK - we raise taxes and send it to London.
If Scots vote for independence, that money will go to the Scottish exchequer.
You now revert to personal attacks? North Sea Oil revenues have been wasted.
The UK Government have failed to set any of that money aside.

Are you attempting to incorporate blind hypocrisy into every post?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
Having debt is not tantamount to bankruptcy. Unemployment is at its lowest in 5 years.

Stop being so blind to the reality that the UK is doing well for itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The UK is absolutely not doing well at all. It was in debt before North Sea oil and still in debt after adding oil revenues. Don't kid us and yourself on.
Original post by Midlander
Are you attempting to incorporate blind hypocrisy into every post?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The UK government is over £1trillion in debt.
(edited 10 years ago)
What, zero hour contracts and foodbanks?
Yes, they are trying hard to stop Scots voting for independence.
£10k? Fantastic wage. Not possible to live on that these days. In fact, £20k is even a crap wage. You need to earn about £30k to survive financially.

£10k tax free, which is as high as it's ever been. Food banks exist all over the UK, and not just in Scotland as you incessantly claim.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You mean the UK Government does. When Scots vote for independence, we will collect about 90% of oil revenues, as opposed to 0% just now.

We won't be voting yes.

It's a poorly thought out balancing act.
With your warped mindset you seem to have forgotten that by gaining potentially 90% of oil revenues ( that has to be negotiated) we also loose out in other areas.

You've obviously failed to understand that without access to a lender if last resort the financial sector in Edinburgh will be significantly diminished. The ship yards on the Clyde will loose admiralty work and the UK taxpayer funded renewables programme goes. To name but a few, ignoring the fact that the majority of us don't share your isolationalist, warped identity politics, brave heart induced outlook on life.

Basically, there's more negatives in the event of a yes vote than positives.

The SNP have tried to fudge the figures and ignore the negatives and assume that everything will carry on as normal.
(edited 10 years ago)
The UK government is over £1trillion in debt.

Don't take this the wrong way, but do you have Asperger's syndrome?
You keep asking hundreds and hundreds of questions. You question absolutely everything people say on here, and to be honest, it is rather strange in my view.
You seem to have a problem in social interaction.
God help you if you are as strange not on an internet forum as you are on an internet forum. Your behaviour is not normal in my view. You should do something more productive with your time.
I am now not going to answer any more of your posts, as I am clearly wasting my energy and time typing responses to your ludicrous posts. I have nothing further to say.

You make absurd personal judgements, repeat factually incorrect statements and continue to spread nationalistic bile here. I come back from work and see this thread has a lot of new posts on it so I reply to the ones I want.

You don't know me. I strongly suggest you remember that when making personal insults towards others in future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The UK is absolutely not doing well at all. It was in debt before North Sea oil and still in debt after adding oil revenues. Don't kid us and yourself on.

Still a world leader in many areas and a comfortable standard of living.

I'd be interested to know what your input is on your local surroundings? I'm hazarding a guess that you're a net recipient of the state.
Don't follow that.

Just because you're independent does not mean that you will not be paying the tax that does to London right now. The only difference is that it would go to Holyrood instead.
What increased expenditure?
Scotland already pays its way as part of the UK - we raise taxes and send it to London.
If Scots vote for independence, that money will go to the Scottish exchequer.

Setting up new infrastructure is an increased expenditure. The money Scotland pays to London is used to maintain existing Government machinery. Creating new machinery costs.

Additionally, there's the small matter of the separate EU fee Scotland will have to pay if it wants in.
Original post by cowsforsale
Just seen this, not sure if it turned out to be a good or bad thing..

"THE Ministry of Defence blocked a potential oil boom in the Firth of Clyde during the 1980s, it has been revealed."

And what's your point? As part of the SNPs hysterical defence policy they've claimed that Faslane would be the SDFs main base. They're not going to allow oil exploration there even if there is oil there. And if there is oil there, and that's a big if as the claim is full of maybes and possibly, you seem to forget that it wouldn't necessarily be Scotland's. the UK would lay claim to it due to its proximity to NI.

You really should speak to somebody. You're convinced that people are out to get you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5313
If you want to vote for another 50 years of Tory rule, be my guest and vote no.
I hope you don't regret your decision. Do you even have a vote?

What do you mean another 50 years of Tory rule? There's only been 4 years since Labour was in power. And even that's not a completely Tory government. There's never been a continuous Tory government for 50 years.

Realistically it will be another 50 years of rule that alternates between Labour and Conservatives, maybe occasionally in a coalition with a smaller party. Although I'm sure you'd hate that too since merely stepping foot into Westminster turns even the most well intentioned person into Scrooge McDuck.
(edited 10 years ago)
Really? Are Norway and Sweden in debt, or Denmark? Never heard that one.

In that case you are hopelessly ill-informed. I have told you twice today that ALL EU countries have debt. That makes three times now.

Read: http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cache/ITY_PUBLIC/2-23102013-AP/EN/2-23102013-AP-EN.PDF

The UK is absolutely not doing well at all. It was in debt before North Sea oil and still in debt after adding oil revenues.

You don't get it, do you?

I agree that it has not defaulted on its debts; I disagree that it is not bankrupt.

You certainly don't understand debt and bankruptcy. If it hasn't defaulted it isn't bankrupt, by definition.
Original post by Quady
Wait, who governs Scotland?

You seemed to imply it wasn't Scots. Now you refer to the SNP... I thought they were Scots? :s-smilie:

Scotland is governed both by the Scottish parliament and the UK parliament. This means we are ruled by both people from our own country and people from another country. Many key aspects of day to day living are still decided in Westminster: we are governed by people who have the interests of England at their heart.
Reply 5316
Original post by Libertatem
Scotland is governed both by the Scottish parliament and the UK parliament. This means we are ruled by both people from our own country and people from another country. Many key aspects of day to day living are still decided in Westminster: we are governed by people who have the interests of England at their heart.

What an absolute load of nonsense. The United Kingdom is the country which the UK Parliament governs, not 'another country' - we're part of it. And the bizarre assertion that some people govern in the interests of England is nothing but paranoid, conspiracy theorist, inferiority complex clap-trap.

No-one likes a whinger who sits and invents slights against him.
Original post by Libertatem

This mythical land of England you speak of. They don't have nationalists like we do?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by L i b
What an absolute load of nonsense. The United Kingdom is the country which the UK Parliament governs, not 'another country' - we're part of it. And the bizarre assertion that some people govern in the interests of England is nothing but paranoid, conspiracy theorist, inferiority complex clap-trap.

No-one likes a whinger who sits and invents slights against him.

No one likes a unionist.

Westminster working in the interests of Scotland?
13-06-30.jpg
....another problem with independence. It would break a lot of peoples hearts - especially the old who fought in WW2 together. I know some elderly people in Paisley who would probably literally cry if they could no longer be British (in late 80s). Should we do this to the old?

Latest

Trending

Trending