The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tater
Should I become an Anglican or Catholic?

Join the Catholic club, it's got a better sense of community.
Original post by Tater

You could always mix and match and be Anglo-Catholic :tongue:
Original post by MrKmas508
I'll be back...

Is it really bad that I instantly read that in a Terminator voice? :colondollar:

:getmecoat:
Reply 5303
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You could always mix and match and be Anglo-Catholic :tongue:

Join the Catholic club, it's got a better sense of community.

Hmmm :colonhash:
Original post by Tater
Hmmm :colonhash:

OR you could just go wild and become Orthodox :colone:
Reply 5305
Original post by Tater

What are your views on eucharist? And salvation theology?
Original post by Mazzini

Y U GIVE SENSIBLE RESPONSE?! :colonhash:

:tongue:

:lovehug:
Original post by Tater

Why not try going to a few church services of each?
Reply 5308
Original post by Mazzini

Um, eat bread and drink wine to remember Jesus and his sacrifice.

Original post by grownupfrog
Why not try going to a few church services of each?

I feel kinda shy and weird going to one alone
Reply 5309
A final touch by Jesus ...

"And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together (folded) in a place by itself." (John 20:7)

A folded napkin had to do with the Master and Servant, and every Jewish boy knew this tradition.
When the servant set the dinner table for the master, he made sure that it was exactly the way the master wanted it..
The table was furnished perfectly, and then the servant would wait, just out of sight, until the master had finished eating, and the servant would not dare touch that table, until the master was finished. Now, if the master were done eating, he would rise from the table, wipe his fingers, his mouth, and clean his beard, and would screw up that napkin and toss it onto the table, like we do in McD's or wherever.
The servant would then know to clear the table. For in those days, the crumpled napkin meant, "I'm done".
But if the master got up from the table, and folded his napkin, and laid it beside his plate, the servant would not dare touch the table, because........... The folded napkin meant, "I'm coming back!"
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Tater

You'd be welcomed! Most churches have people on the doors to welcome you, and you can say that you're just thinking about faith so they can show you where to sit, or find you someone to sit with to explain the service etc. I know it can be intimidating but churches love nothing more than welcoming new people, you'd be making their day!
Reply 5311
Original post by Tater

That'd point more towards CofE, but of course the best thing is to go and see for yourself in your local church, as grownupfrog says :smile:

Y U GIVE SENSIBLE RESPONSE?! :colonhash:

:tongue:

:rofl:

Original post by temi.h.o.
ah i see, you can try Vineyard church, i go to one in portsmouth during term time and they are very much involving with feed to poor and outreach ministry with healing on the streets and their cooking for the poor but i'm not sure if that's the same at all places but do just visit many different places until you feel comfortable and that God has led you there :smile:

Vineyard are great. Most of the lively and growing churches have a variety of community/outreach work going on.
I'm thinking about getting into religion again. I'm not sure to be honest because I don't feel that there's a church out there that has my ethics. I guess i'll just read a bit of the bible and go from there.

The bible's a great place to get reconnected again to God :smile:
Original post by Tater

Points more to Anglicanism, as has been said :h:

Don't feel shy or weird! I understand it can be daunting but honestly most churchgoers are lovely and will do their best to make you feel at home. Not sure about Anglican churches but in all Catholic churches there should be Mass cards/booklets telling you what to say and when, and when to kneel/stand/sit, so tiz all quite straightforward :smile:
Points more to Anglicanism, as has been said :h:

Don't feel shy or weird! I understand it can be daunting but honestly most churchgoers are lovely and will do their best to make you feel at home. Not sure about Anglican churches but in all Catholic churches there should be Mass cards/booklets telling you what to say and when, and when to kneel/stand/sit, so tiz all quite straightforward :smile:

The CofE churches iv been to have a service sheet telling you whats happening and if you have to say anything and stuff aswell :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PandaWho
The CofE churches iv been to have a service sheet telling you whats happening and if you have to say anything and stuff aswell :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that's handy :biggrin: When I started attending my college's Anglican chapel, they didn't have anything like that so I didn't have clue what to say or do :redface:
Original post by Racoon
It will be brilliant. I pray you will make some amazing new friends there who can support you and help build you up.:smile:

I also pray God will give you a vision for the direction of your life.

Hey
I have made some amazing friends and they we support each other. I will miss them though :frown:
Praying for you - should be awesome :biggrin:

It was awesome
I go back tomorrow :frown:
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Hey
I have made some amazing friends and they we support each other. I will miss them though :frown:

It was awesome
I go back tomorrow :frown:

Glad you had a good time :biggrin:
This guy, Bill Johnson is a great preacher from Bethal church in the states. if anyone has time on their hands and wants to fill their minds with some good stuff I'd recommend listening to a few of his you tube messages.:smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=605ciBotGvE

We need to walk in forgiveness, learn how to deal with disappointment and fight against the battle field of the mind, taking captive thoughts!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest