Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi guys is there a faster way of typing the numbers into the calculator or do you have to use the mouse? i keep making mistakes when i use the mouse to click the numbers in :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellen111)
    hi guys is there a faster way of typing the numbers into the calculator or do you have to use the mouse? i keep making mistakes when i use the mouse to click the numbers in :/
    There's a number pad. Press num lock when u want to use it and then u won't have to use the clicked

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy•)
    Two sections are easily learned. The science section is simple and has been covered at gcse anyway. Just little practice for time is fine.
    The essay is easy to get a high score, as long as you know about the basic principles of being a doctor and have a GCSE in english language that's all you need.
    The first section is a little bit trickier but easier to practice than any subtest of UKCAT other than sjt.
    Basically for the same reason that GCSEs are easier to get a higher grade in than UKCAT is.
    ah I see...
    thanks for the insight

ReputationRep:
    how do you work out Pi and stuff on the calculators they provide?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Screenshot_20160921-200508.png
Views: 133
Size:  320.5 KB
    Here's the preliminary results and deciles! Saw that there were a few people wondering about it

ReputationRep:
    you just use 3.14 instead, there isn't a pi button on the calculator

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASTK98)
    Keep practising and it will come with time. I really wouldn't recommend reading the passage first - it's just too time consuming and a lot of the time you'll try to remember irrelevant bits of info that won't even be required to answer the questions that come up. Especially considering most people have come out saying the passages in the actual exam are quite long; you don't want to lose out on a lot of valuable time.
    I wouldn't really agree with not reading the passage first. I found that the questions tended to require a certain degree of certainty about your answers and that can be better achieved with reading the passage first. In my opinion, skim reading tends to result in you second guessing yourself especially when the options are similar. I managed to read most of the passages fully before answering. I only switched to skimming towards the end when i was short on time. I scored decently well for VR doing this

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure you'll need to do calculations with Pi often but just sub in 3.14 instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaysinn)
    I wouldn't really agree with not reading the passage first. I found that the questions tended to require a certain degree of certainty about your answers and that can be better achieved with reading the passage first. In my opinion, skim reading tends to result in you second guessing yourself especially when the options are similar. I managed to read most of the passages fully before answering. I only switched to skimming towards the end when i was short on time. I scored decently well for VR doing this
    I never said that reading it first is the wrong way of doing it, I just feel like scanning the passage for key words is a more effective method tbh but I guess it just boils down to preference

ReputationRep:
    I never said that reading it first is the wrong way of doing it, I just feel like scanning the passage for key words is a more effective method tbh but I guess it just boils down to preference
    If you find them hard tomorrow are you going to start reading them? I'm unsure what to do because I know they are going to be hard and not sure if what I normally do (skimming for the answer) will suffice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    From what I've gathered on this thread, your VR score in mocks means nothing lmao. I hope I get at least 600 like please UKCAT be nice to me 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    If you find them hard tomorrow are you going to start reading them? I'm unsure what to do because I know they are going to be hard and not sure if what I normally do (skimming for the answer) will suffice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Probably not tbh, I've stuck with skim reading for the past month so I don't think it would be wise to try out the other method in the actual exam! I don't think they'll be much harder than what we've done on Medify tbf, some of their passages are quite long. But you never know to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not tbh, I've stuck with skim reading for the past month so I don't think it would be wise to try out the other method in the actual exam! I don't think they'll be much harder than what we've done on Medify tbf, some of their passages are quite long. But you never know to be fair.
    I hope that they are similiar in difficulty because i know my AR won't be amazing so I don't want 2 things dragging me down

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I hope that they are similiar in difficulty because i know my AR won't be amazing so I don't want 2 things dragging me down

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Based on what people have told me, they found QR and AR easier than they did on Medify/mocks, especially QR. A lot of the AR patterns are easy to see in the exam (apparently)

ReputationRep:
    Based on what people have told me, they found QR and AR easier than they did on Medify/mocks, especially QR. A lot of the AR patterns are easy to see in the exam (apparently)
    I hope so! Ive been getting 600-700 in mocks for QR so I'm really hoping this boosts my average otherwise gap year for me lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also how much revision you doing today? I'm not sure what to do with myself tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaysinn)
    how did u score in vr?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just finished 5 sets of AR questions, gonna do one last set of 40 VR questions and take the rest of the day off. Maybe look through some of my mind maps but I'll be done by 4pm most likely, no point in doing too much work today imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    how did u score in vr?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When is your ukcat?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.