Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    So with the context of a week until the referendum on EU membership happening...it was referring to the party?

Either way, looking like a head case.
    In the context of the amount of anti-Islamic sentiment there is right now, it wasn't?

(Original post by Aph)
    Britain first is left wing... And anti immigration so again brexiter. Just because you don't want to belive that the cause you support can be wrong...
    In purely economic terms, probably, in terms of what is commonly known as left wing, no they're not.

Was the EU mentioned? No? Then it's nothing to do with Brexit.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    In the context of the amount of anti-Islamic sentiment there is right now, it wasn't?

In purely economic terms, probably, in terms of what is commonly known as left wing, no they're not.

Was Islam mentioned? Okay, it had nothing to do with that (which you seem to be suggesting). In what is commonly known as right wing, they're not right wing (I'm excluding the morons that can't tell the difference between right and far-right and two different metrics)

ReputationRep:
    Jo Cox has passed away. Thoughts and sympathies are with her family.

Can we not speculate on the motives until we actually have the real details please?

ReputationRep:
    Was Islam mentioned? Okay, it had nothing to do with that (which you seem to be suggesting). In what is commonly known as right wing, they're not right wing (I'm excluding the morons that can't tell the difference between right and far-right and two different metrics)
    But in the context, it's much more likely to be that than the EU. This is someone who is not that heavily involved in the remain campaign, but is a member of a party associated with Muslim communities, lives in an area of the country with relatively high ethnic divisions, and was vocally in favour of accepting Syrian refugees.

Trying to persecute and segregate a group of people in the way that Britain First does is an idea that is only associated with sections of the right.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster

That's a very simplistic look at it and very nieve too. However I'm sad to hear that she passed away as cBay has just reported so I'll stop the argument here.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cBay)

Can we not speculate on the motives until we actually have the real details please?
    The attacker is definitely dying in prison (or institution) now.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    That's a very simplistic look at it and very nieve too. However I'm sad to hear that she passed away as cBay has just reported so I'll stop the argument here.
    It's, accents aside, naive, not nieve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)

God that's awful, I didn't know she'd actually died. That takes it to a whole new level.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    God that's awful, I didn't know she'd actually died. That takes it to a whole new level.
    As if any other outcome could serioulsy be considered given the injuries reported.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Absolutely tragic.

ReputationRep:
    Thought some of you MHOCers would be interested in TSR's EU Referendum Debate: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4169661

We are looking for panellists, and MHOCers are some of the most interested and knowledgeable political beings on TSR; so its your chance to shine. Check out the thread

ReputationRep:
    My sincere heartfelt condolences to Jo Cox's family and friends. For someone to go in to politics and lose her life while trying help others is absolutely tragic. My thoughts in particular to her children at the loss of their mother.

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts go out to Jo Cox's family. May be on the other side of politics, but no one should go out for a days work and not return home!

ReputationRep:
    Very sad to hear about Jo Cox passing, hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Poor Jo Cox. It's just horrible news.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I have penned a statement of condolence, which I hope will be put to the house this evening.

This is truly sad, and my thoughts are with her family, friends, and colleagues in the actual place.

ReputationRep:
    She's my parents MP and was briefly mine until I moved in Nov.

By-election should be interesting. Lab, Con and Kip can all count on a good vote share, especially if turnout is low.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    She's my parents MP and was briefly mine until I moved in Nov.

By-election should be interesting. Lab, Con and Kip can all count on a good vote share, especially if turnout is low.
    Labour sympathy vote surge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Labour sympathy vote surge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Possibly. Depends how effort the Tories put in. There are certainly good areas where they could get out a good blue vote, the question is whether Ukip can split Labour in Batley and Heckmondwike.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Possibly. Depends how effort the Tories put in. There are certainly good areas where they could get out a good blue vote, the question is whether Ukip can split Labour in Batley and Heckmondwike.
    You would think we could have won Tooting, which would certainly be easier, not least with the much smaller majority, but the money is on a labour hold

Posted from TSR Mobile

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.