Film Fanatics Society - Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Seanisonfire
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't watch the Matrix trilogy. Watch the Matrix. Pretend the other 2 never existed. Well, watch the second if you're really desperate.
Christien
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Agreed. They went really overboard with the obvious Jesus metaphor in the second + third films. Revolutions remains the single worst 'franchise' picture I've ever seen, including the prequels.
Guvnor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The first one is the best one without a doubt.

Anyway watched Inception, must say probably one of the best movies I have seen this year, was totally different, but an awesome movie nonetheless.

Next on to perhaps Godfather, but it depends on time so lets see when I actually get round to watching it :holmes:
channy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Toy Story 3 > Inception. For me at least.
S-man10
Badges: 18
Report 7 years ago
Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The Matrix is undoubtedly the best of the three, but that's mainly due to the inherent problems of the narrative. The journey is always more interesting than the result.

This is most easily seen if you ever play RPGs. The best part of the game is always when you're slowly learning and building your way up. Once you finally reach that illuminated over-powered state, it's fun for about 15 minutes but then you just get bored. The Matrix has the same problems; the most interesting part of the first is the struggle and the awakening of Neo. Once he becomes the One, there's very few ways you can keep it interesting.

I think there's some good ideas in the last two films, but they're hampered by this and ultimately the crew just resort to making films with the style of the first but without much of the substance.
Firaila
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm gonna watch The Other Boleyn Girl on BBC tonight, not because I think it'll be particularly good, but because of the Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson factor :sogood:
aja89
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I might work up the energy to watch Inception today. I suppose I should see what all the fuss is about.
Roobsa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm incredibly ill so does anyone have any movie suggestions to counter my very annoyed mood? Nothing where I have to think to keep up with the movie because my head hurts. :sick:
aja89
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Roobsa)
I'm incredibly ill so does anyone have any movie suggestions to counter my very annoyed mood? Nothing where I have to think to keep up with the movie because my head hurts. :sick:
You've most likely already seen all of these but my favourite 'sick' movies are:

Little Miss Sunshine
Edward Scissorhands
Mermaids (hence the sig )
Paris When It Sizzles
Mrs Doubtfire
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Roobsa)
I quite like watching Love Actually as a trashy film to make me feel better, especially if it's at christmas.
Ape Gone Insane
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by SOA Vamp)
X
(Original post by Benammieh)
X
(Original post by eggd2)
X
Welcome to the chat thread and society!
SOA Vamp
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've found my new home (again)

I'll start with a question - anyone seen Scarface and is it any good? I'm having an Italian mafia movie thing atm, and I've gone through The Godfather trilogy and Goodfellas so far
samanthaaaa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not sure if it's been posted but:

Still quite a while until it's released but I may probably see this when it's released. Same director as Pineapple Express starring the likes of James Franco, Natalie Portman and Zooey Deschanel. :sogood:
Firaila
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

I'll start with a question - anyone seen Scarface and is it any good? I'm having an Italian mafia movie thing atm, and I've gone through The Godfather trilogy and Goodfellas so far
Watch The Departed, it's Irish mafia instead of Italian but it is one hell of a good gangster film :danceboy:
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Scarface is a brilliant film, definitely one of my favourite gangster films. Be prepared for much more violence than you get in films like Godfather, but in terms of acting performances Pacino's is breathtaking. Definitely worth a watch.
Ape Gone Insane
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by samanthaaaa)
Not sure if it's been posted but:

Still quite a while until it's released but I may probably see this when it's released. Same director as Pineapple Express starring the likes of James Franco, Natalie Portman and Zooey Deschanel. :sogood:
Yeah, it didn't have a good reception in this thread when it was posted a while back. Still, lots of big names - worth a watch.
spacepirate-James
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Can't believe I'm watching Seeker: The Dark is Rising. :nothing:

afjewifejfjewifed

either that or doing my homework. Procrastination ftw.
SOA Vamp
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks guys

I saw The Departed a while back, but it might be worth getting it out again over Crimbo. And will definitely get Scarface now, I love Pacino anyway so it sounds like it should be a great film
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks guys

I saw The Departed a while back, but it might be worth getting it out again over Crimbo. And will definitely get Scarface now, I love Pacino anyway so it sounds like it should be a great film
If you love Pacino, it's definitely a great film for you.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (65)
26.97%
No (176)
73.03%

Watched Threads