Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmam)
    Went to my tutorial. She heavily suggested that I drop out. If I leave now I can get Level 3 Award in Education and Training (new name for PTTLS).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And how do you feel about that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    And how do you feel about that?
    I'm not sure. A part of me feels its for the best but another feels annoyed as I don't feel I was given a fair chance. My mentor has said herself that she doesn't think I could handle a 90 min lesson, however maybe if I started my placement when I was suppose to I'd be ok doing that by now (other people who have started late have had previous teaching experience or naturally confident whilst I'm fairly quiet and underconfident).

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure. A part of me feels its for the best but another feels annoyed as I don't feel I was given a fair chance. My mentor has said herself that she doesn't think I could handle a 90 min lesson, however maybe if I started my placement when I was suppose to I'd be ok doing that by now (other people who have started late have had previous teaching experience or naturally confident whilst I'm fairly quiet and underconfident).
    Is she suggesting you don't start again in September? I'm sorry, I have lost track a bit of what you were planning to do.)

ReputationRep:
    Is she suggesting you don't start again in September? I'm sorry, I have lost track a bit of what you were planning to do.)
    No that I leave for good.

ReputationRep:
    No that I leave for good.
    I see. And do you feel she is right or do you want to try again?

ReputationRep:
    I see. And do you feel she is right or do you want to try again?
    TBH I dont know.

ReputationRep:
    TBH I dont know.
    Maybe it's too early to make a decision after hearing that. It takes time to mull over your options.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's too early to make a decision after hearing that. It takes time to mull over your options.
    I only have until Friday.

ReputationRep:
    I only have until Friday.
    Is this the deadline they have imposed on you? What are they going to do if you decide to stay? Can they find you enough hours to qualify? If they can't, there doesn't seem any point in your carrying on.

What will you do if you give up?

ReputationRep:
    Is this the deadline they have imposed on you? What are they going to do if you decide to stay? Can they find you enough hours to qualify? If they can't, there doesn't seem any point in your carrying on.

What will you do if you give up?
    Yes (I'm wondering if its because my bursary payment is due in on the Monday? :rolleyes:) . If I give up I'm just going to find a job, I'm also considering starting somewhere else in September

ReputationRep:
    Yes (I'm wondering if its because my bursary payment is due in on the Monday? :rolleyes:) . If I give up I'm just going to find a job, I'm also considering starting somewhere else in September
    Cynically, maybe. Only you can make up your mind, I'm afraid, whatever we might suggest on here. I think it's pretty good that you are still even considering it after the awful experience you have had.

ReputationRep:
    Cynically, maybe. Only you can make up your mind, I'm afraid, whatever we might suggest on here. I think it's pretty good that you are still even considering it after the awful experience you have had.
    Tbh I'm not really sure if I want to do it again (not yet anyway) its just even though I was having a few doubts I didn't want to give up. I did another course when I was younger what was awful (more so than this one; at least the tutors on this course haven't asked me inappropriate questions about my sex life) and restarted it again somewhere else in September as I thought dropping out looked bad.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I'm not really sure if I want to do it again (not yet anyway) its just even though I was having a few doubts I didn't want to give up. I did another course when I was younger what was awful (more so than this one; at least the tutors on this course haven't asked me inappropriate questions about my sex life) and restarted it again somewhere else in September as I thought dropping out looked bad.
    Sometimes just walking away is the best way to fix things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Hmm, yeah it is teaching in general. It is hard to keep it to myself but whenever someone at school is talking to me about jobs or something I have to put on such an act, and I get such weird looks when people find out I've only applied for one job :lol: .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wouldn't worry too much about the job application aspect... although maybe I'm too relaxed in that regard.

There's a couple of people on my course that haven't really even begun to look at jobs yet. My personal tutor mentioned at one point, that there's no need to rush the process since many schools only start opening up at a later stage. You don't really get the choice of which school you'd like to be during your PGCE year. Your NQT is something you have a lot more freedom to choose with.

ReputationRep:
    How many jobs have people applied to before they get an interview...?! I have only applied for 3 () but it takes so long to do each one and I have heard nothing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really annoyed. I have a lovely year 7 class, butvyesterday we got a newcomer who has moved over from a challenging school as his parents divorced. He is an absolute pain in the behind. He doesn't distract the class or anything but having one awkward kid puts me off my lesson and I end up having to spend a lot of time getting him to behave. He is clearly bored out of his mind, so he fidgets excessively and moves around a lot. Not sure what to do with him. I wanted to give him a ball of blu tack like I did with my adhd kids in first placement, but my mentor told me it would encourage him to fidget and she would rather I trained him out of it. He has just ruined the one class I enjoyed teaching.
    (Original post by Tombola)
    I wouldn't worry too much about the job application aspect... although maybe I'm too relaxed in that regard.

There's a couple of people on my course that haven't really even begun to look at jobs yet. My personal tutor mentioned at one point, that there's no need to rush the process since many schools only start opening up at a later stage. You don't really get the choice of which school you'd like to be during your PGCE year. Your NQT is something you have a lot more freedom to choose with.
    Yeah...that freedom is sort of my problem. Some could say I'm being too picky

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Yeah...that freedom is sort of my problem. Some could say I'm being too picky

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd be more than happy to join you with the attitude of being picky.

It's pretty crazy how much the school atmosphere can make or break teaching for people. I'm almost too afraid to apply when I have no idea where I'm applying to.

Some people jokingly suggested marking policies as one way of looking at the school.

ReputationRep:

It's pretty crazy how much the school atmosphere can make or break teaching for people. I'm almost too afraid to apply when I have no idea where I'm applying to.
    Totally agree with this. I mean, I have general doubts about teaching without being tainted by the school, but the fact that my NQT will be in a place where I have no idea if I'll settle in scares me, and puts me off. I've applied for three jobs so far. I know I definitely didn't get one, don't know about the other two. I'm not as upset as I should be about not getting anywhere though... :rolleyes: .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamondsky89)
    How many jobs have people applied to before they get an interview...?! I have only applied for 3 () but it takes so long to do each one and I have heard nothing.
    I only applied for one and got interviews at two schools and a job from the one application...I think I'm in the minority though!

ReputationRep:
    I'd be more than happy to join you with the attitude of being picky.

Some people jokingly suggested marking policies as one way of looking at the school.

Totally agree with this. I mean, I have general doubts about teaching without being tainted by the school, but the fact that my NQT will be in a place where I have no idea if I'll settle in scares me, and puts me off. I've applied for three jobs so far. I know I definitely didn't get one, don't know about the other two. I'm not as upset as I should be about not getting anywhere though... :rolleyes: .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I kinda feel like you 'know' when you're in the right school. I was gutted when I didn't get the first job I interviewed for but I also remember thinking on the day 'what if a better job comes up.' At my second interview, I felt so at home! I had break time with the department before my lesson and I was so at ease in the office - just having a cup of tea and a joke with the other teachers there!

I also received an email the other day asking me how I was finding the PGCE since interview and inviting me to contact them if I start doubting myself! They've also said that they're beginning to sketch out ideas of who is teaching what next year and they didn't want me to be left out. I've not regretted my decision to accept the job at this school in the slightest.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.