Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone actually optimistic this summer, when I was hearing news of Higuain I was optimistic now the news seems to wane. It'll probably results in last minute signings in August.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    Is anyone actually optimistic this summer, when I was hearing news of Higuain I was optimistic now the news seems to wane. It'll probably results in last minute signings in August.
    I'm always optimistic with Arsenal. Its doesn't matter whether we buy now or on the last minute on deadline day. What matters is that we buy the right players and not be rushed into buying players for the sake of it. At the end of the day results on the pitch is all that matters and if Arsenal don't perform this season there's no excuse for Wenger this time.

I understand the need for new players to gel and the need to improve the obvious flaws in our squad but I trust Wenger to perform well this season. Why? because he knows he's up against it

ReputationRep:
    With Illarramendi joining madrid He will be competing for a midfield place with Ozil, Modric, Khedira, Alonso and Isco and Kaka and Di Maria (Ridiculous depth) . One or more of those may well be surplus to requirements. Should Arsenal bid for Khedira/Alonso ? .

(Original post by denga12)
    With Illarramendi joining madrid He will be competing for a midfield place with Ozil, Modric, Khedira, Alonso and Isco and Kaka and Di Maria (Ridiculous depth) . One or more of those may well be surplus to requirements. Should Arsenal bid for Khedira/Alonso ? .
    If Khedira's available and on realistic wages, he'd be fantastic. Although I'd struggle to see us getting him ahead of other possibly interested teams (United, maybe?).

The Bendtner to Frankfurt deal is off, then, after the two parties failed to come to an agreement on personal terms. They've thanked Wenger for his 'constructive conversations and high level of co-operation'. :p:

Also, 'Sky Sports understands' that we're stepping up our interest for Williams again. As before, I suppose I wouldn't mind him as a fourth-choice defender. He'd be useful while Vermaelen's out injured - although I'd be a little wary about playing him next to Mertesacker.

ReputationRep:
    Suarez has a £40m release clause according to David Ornstein. If we get him would be our biggest sigining since Bergkamp imo. Would also take Liverpool out of the equation for a top four place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by denga12)
    Kaka will probably be irrelevant/bench warmer and if Isco plays as a playmaking winger like he did at Malaga that leaves Alonso, Khedira, Modric, Ozil and Illarramendi for 3 positions. Cant see any leaving tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Kaka will probably be irrelevant/bench warmer and if Isco plays as a playmaking winger like he did at Malaga that leaves Alonso, Khedira, Modric, Ozil and Illarramendi for 3 positions. Cant see any leaving tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Isco played either in the centre or on the left though..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    Isco played either in the centre or on the left though..
    True, I probably should have been clearer but I think we'll see him on the wing more especially as theyve just sold Callejon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    True, I probably should have been clearer but I think we'll see him on the wing more especially as theyve just sold Callejon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think so unless he can adjust to play on the right because otherwise he would be back up to Ronaldo

ReputationRep:
    Also Zelalem is on the 24 man squad named for the Asia Tour (the youngest one there i think). I want to see how he's getting on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    I'm always optimistic with Arsenal. Its doesn't matter whether we buy now or on the last minute on deadline day. What matters is that we buy the right players and not be rushed into buying players for the sake of it. At the end of the day results on the pitch is all that matters and if Arsenal don't perform this season there's no excuse for Wenger this time.

I understand the need for new players to gel and the need to improve the obvious flaws in our squad but I trust Wenger to perform well this season. Why? because he knows he's up against it
    Why does anything remotely positive get negged on this forum? Its not even overly exaggerated what you've said yet clearly someone thinks that we are not going to do business this summer and/or will not perform next season.

Anyway on another slightly different note, whats the update on Higuain? I've literally kept well away from any transfer gossip for the last week or so..

ReputationRep:
    Roma bid £6.9m for Gervinho. Imagine we get rid of him and sign Bernard :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    I don't think so unless he can adjust to play on the right because otherwise he would be back up to Ronaldo
    Or ronaldo plays on the right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Roma bid £6.9m for Gervinho. Imagine we get rid of him and sign Bernard :coma:
    Rather we sign someone like Afellay or Draxler before Bernard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Rather we sign someone like Afellay or Draxler before Bernard.
    Fair enough. Afellay would be more attainable and cheaper too I guess. Draxler would be one hell of a signing, can't see Schalke letting him go unless they get a ridiculous bid though.

ReputationRep:
    If found Wenger's words at the recent press conference quite comforting

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dami_O)
    If found Wenger's words at the recent press conference quite comforting

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I'm glad he's signing a new long term contract, the best line was:

"My heart is with Arsenal. I’m not at PSG because my heart is with Arsenal"

Then the WOB complain about his salary when PSG will give him alot more and a infinite pool of money to buy players as could Real Madrid and Bayern. The loyalty the man exhibits is amazing, we're lucky to have him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Yeah, I'm glad he's signing a new long term contract, the best line was:

"My heart is with Arsenal. I’m not at PSG because my heart is with Arsenal"

Then the WOB complain about his salary when PSG will give him alot more and a infinite pool of money to buy players as could Real Madrid and Bayern. The loyalty the man exhibits is amazing, we're lucky to have him.
    This. I'm so glad that the post-Wenger Arsenal has been put on hold. He'll probably hit 20 years at the club now. Simply amazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is Wenger signing a new contract?

If so, then I'll be happy.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.