Haha, probably XD
Aye! Sorry
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
Perhaps we can raise up the spirit of Marx in the final round of debates.
Groucho, Harpo or Chico? Or the other two who were about as important creatively as Ringo Starr?
MacDaddi
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
Reddit MHOC, though fledgling, actually looks interesting. I really dislike reddit's UI though.

Maybe we can declare war on them or something (for the lols).
Ahaha we can send out a delegation
Cryptographic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jarred)
Please do remember that it is against the rules to direct debates offsite, thanks.
If a debate was held in an IM type thing (or shout box if admins allow) was held and then a full transcript was posted here, with full post-debate analysis happening here, surely that would generate traffic that otherwise wouldn't happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by toronto353)
No, but the House is set up on their site and it's only right that they wish for something which is normally based on the site, to be based on the site. In addition, please note:

1.2 When using the Website, you will be subject to any additional posted guidelines or rules including (but not limited to), the “Forum Rules and Guidance”, “Announcements”, “Stickies” or any further guidance (which has been approved by The Student Room Group) posted on the Website from time to time by a Moderator relating to a specific activity or feature (together the “Guidelines”). All such Guidelines are incorporated by reference into these Terms.

You have been told by a mod that this isn't allowed (see above) and as your usage of this site means that you agree with the T&C, then you agree to abide by that ruling. As I have said before though, you are free to raise it in AAM and that is the place to do so.
Ahhh so what your saying is... they just made this rule up now.

What exactly am I supposed to ask in the AAM?
"Hey guys, is it ok if I skype some people in my own free time? Yes? No? Maybe?"
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Reddit MHOC, though fledgling, actually looks interesting. I really dislike reddit's UI though.

Maybe we can declare war on them or something (for the lols).
Not a good idea. The New York book group who follow me on Twitter had their website crash after Reddit users embraced it.
toronto353
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ahhh so what your saying is... they just made this rule up now.

What exactly am I supposed to ask in the AAM?
"Hey guys, is it ok if I skype some people in my own free time? Yes? No? Maybe?"
No the rule has been there for at least 2 years, maybe longer. It's up to you what you ask in AAM.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cryptographic)
If a debate was held in an IM type thing (or shout box if admins allow) was held and then a full transcript was posted here, with full post-debate analysis happening here, surely that would generate traffic that otherwise wouldn't happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The post debate analysis was something I was about to bring up. The debate doesn't end at the debate. All the points would need to be brought back to TSR so they could be presented to the voters.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No the rule has been there for at least 2 years, maybe longer. It's up to you what you ask in AAM.
I meant the rule about not being able to debate outside of TSR with people from TSR.
Your saying that because a mod said it... it is now a rule. i.e. that just made it up now...
toronto353
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The post debate analysis was something I was about to bring up. The debate doesn't end at the debate. All the points would need to be brought back to TSR so they could be presented to the voters.
But the actual debate is taken off TSR, so TSR is still losing activity.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Groucho, Harpo or Chico? Or the other two who were about as important creatively as Ringo Starr?

All 3, though it'd probably be best to include Karl as well :P
toronto353
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I meant the rule about not being able to debate outside of TSR with people from TSR.
Your saying that because a mod said it... it is now a rule. i.e. that just made it up now...
The rule about not holding debates off TSR has been around for 2 years at least, and was initially based on issues in the MUN, and subsequently the MHoC.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not if the alternative is no debate and no analysis at all.

The analysis of an actual, free-flowing debate will generate more activity after the fact than a dry, dull, dis-jointed one.

I'm not even 100% for the idea - I just don't want to see it cut from the outset. It's an intriguing suggestion and deserves proper consideration. i.e. I can do whatever I want (with whoever I want) outside of this website. Next they'll be telling me I can't log out because it'll 'reduce activity'. Take away a man's drink... and he gets thirsty.
MacDaddi
Report 4 years ago
If we're not having it on Skype, we aren't having the debate at all - it's the IM and voice capabilities we are going for, not anything else
Cryptographic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Losing activity that they never would have had. Basically what they would be doing is cutting the noses off to spite the face. If the debate goes ahead they get 50 or so extra posts, with the debate getting 200 IMs. No debate would result in 0 IMs and 0 posts. It's illogical.

Posted from TSR Mobile
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Not a good idea. The New York book group who follow me on Twitter had their website crash after Reddit users embraced it.
(Original post by MacDaddi)
Ahaha we can send out a delegation
It looks like we'll need to send that delegation in order to save ourselves from total destruction.
toronto353
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not if the alternative is no debate and no analysis at all.

The analysis of an actual, free-flowing debate will generate more activity after the fact than a dry, dull, dis-jointed one.

I'm not even 100% for the idea - I just don't want to see it cut from the outset. It's an intriguing suggestion and deserves proper consideration. i.e. I can do whatever I want (with whoever I want) outside of this website. Next they'll be telling me I can't log out because it'll 'reduce activity'. Take away a man's drink... and he gets thirsty.

(Original post by Cryptographic)
Losing activity that they never would have had. Basically what they would be doing is cutting the noses off to spite the face. If the debate goes ahead they get 50 or so extra posts, with the debate getting 200 IMs. No debate would result in 0 IMs and 0 posts. It's illogical.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The only thing I can advise you to do is raise it in AAM. Jarred, Faland and myself have explained that this is against the rules, rules which you have agreed to abide by. However, barring restating the same argument, Faland and I cannot do anything more - we are not mods, we do not decide the site rules. You need to raise this issue in AAM and have the discussion with them. I get that it's frustrating that we can't offer you a different reply, but here isn't the place to have the discussion and I hope that you understand that. Sorry I can't be of more help.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The rule about not holding debates off TSR has been around for 2 years at least, and was initially based on issues in the MUN, and subsequently the MHoC.

I can't find the rule that says I can't debate outside of this website.
toronto353
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MacDaddi)
If we're not having it on Skype, we aren't having the debate at all - it's the IM and voice capabilities we are going for, not anything else
That is disappointing, but again, see above.

I can't find the rule that says I can't debate outside of this website.
See above. I'm not taking a cop route, but a discussion with Faland and myself, who are community assistants and not mods, won't get you anywhere.
MacDaddi
Report 4 years ago
The only thing I can advise you to do is raise it in AAM. Jarred, Faland and myself have explained that this is against the rules, rules which you have agreed to abide by. However, barring restating the same argument, Faland and I cannot do anything more - we are not mods, we do not decide the site rules. You need to raise this issue in AAM and have the discussion with them. I get that it's frustrating that we can't offer you a different reply, but here isn't the place to have the discussion and I hope that you understand that. Sorry I can't be of more help.
I have raised it in AAM, you showed from the rules that mods have the power to allow this to happen. Alas, you wont!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (281)
27.5%
No (741)
72.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed