Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsr1269)
    Except that cake was created in Connecticut and the only "news outlet" who have made that extraordinary claim that you have attributed to the Gazans was "FrontpageMag".

An outlet whose editor is no other than David Horowitz, of whom no introduction is needed for his biased views...
    You seem to be confused. You were the one who raised that photo, not me. I didn't say it was that, in fact I specifically said I didn't know whether it was that photo. Nice try though

As I said, the blockade of Gaza is like the Siege of Leningrad. You know that, just say it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MostUncivilised)
    Confidence boosters
    The sun hasn't reached it's apex and here you are, having to feed juice to your friends.

In any case, perhaps you would like to return to our discussion if you believe my view on the issue is skewed. You did after all, leave right in the middle...

ReputationRep:
    :blah:
    Come on mate, just say it It's like the Siege of Leningrad, you know you want to say it.

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be confused. You were the one who raised that photo, not me. I didn't say it was that, in fact I specifically said I didn't know whether it was that photo. Nice try though

As I said, the blockade of Gaza is like the Siege of Leningrad. You know that, just say it.

As I have said, the only "media outlet" reporting Cake and Gazans and Crane throws up "FrontpageMag".

Your claims are simply baseless and so erroneous, that they border on a shocking denial of reality...

ReputationRep:
    Something about baseless claims :blah:
    That's a bit rich. After you've been squeeling about "genocide".

Come on mate, just say it. The blockade of Gaza is like the Siege of Leningrad. Or maybe Stalingrad. You know you want to

ReputationRep:
    They have the ID for that.
    Iron dome isn’t fully effective against short range missile strikes.
    People near the border with Gaza can be attacked before Iron Dome can intervene. Hence why they are invading to stop these short range attacks.

Where else shall they put them? Eventually, they are going to have to fire from cities. You said yourself, it is a "densely packed area"..
    Gaza are fighting a war utilizing the urban environment to their advantage. If Hamas met on a flat surface they would be obliterated. Instead they are using the densely packed areas to their "advantage" in a human shield type fashion. They aren't the good guys here. They are doing just as much wrong by firing both missiles at Israel and from within Urban areas. The bombing of these locations is wrong but it is the militant wing who are firing from these locations in the first place!

Do you think the Israel should exist?
    Are you stating it shouldnt?

ReputationRep:
    :blah:
    You've gone? Oh well, I have to head off now anyway so good timing. But I can't wait to hear you providing some backup for your genocide claim.

How many Palestinians have died in the last 50 years? Wasn't it like 6 million or something? Or did I mix that up with something else? Maybe it was 10,000. One or the other. Definitely a lot like the Armenian Genocide, or the Siege of Stalingrad

ReputationRep:
    Come on mate, just say it It's like the Siege of Leningrad, you know you want to say it.
    That's a bit rich. After you've been squeeling about "genocide".

Come on mate, just say it. The blockade of Gaza is like the Siege of Leningrad. Or maybe Stalingrad. You know you want to
    You've gone? Oh well, I have to head off now anyway so good timing. But I can't wait to hear you providing some backup for your genocide claim.

How many Palestinians have died in the last 50 years? Wasn't it like 6 million or something? Or did I mix that up with something else? Maybe it was 10,000. One or the other. Definitely a lot like the Armenian Genocide, or the Siege of Stalingrad

Building a nice burnable strawman there for yourself? Make sure you don't stack any wet straw otherwise it won't burn as well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevelee)
    Iron dome isn’t fully effective against short range missile strikes.
    People near the border with Gaza can be attacked before Iron Dome can intervene. Hence why they are invading to stop these short range attacks.
    Yet it's advertised as a "short range missile interceptor".

Gaza are fighting a war utilizing the urban environment to their advantage. If Hamas met on a flat surface they would be obliterated. Instead they are using the densely packed areas to their "advantage" in a human shield type fashion. They aren't the good guys here. They are doing just as much wrong by firing both missiles at Israel and from within Urban areas. The bombing of these locations is wrong but it is the militant wing who are firing from these locations in the first place!
    That's a brilliant idea. In fact, to "level the playing field" as you seemingly want them to do, Israel should supply the same military equipment that they use to the Palestinians and then get a round or two of fighting in.

Are you stating it shouldnt?
    Why are you getting so defensive? I'm merely asking YOUR opinion on the matter...

ReputationRep:
    Clumsy and overwrought analogy
    Still trying to avoid saying what you think it's comparable to? That's cool. I would too if I were in your position

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniOfLife)
    They are less illustrative then the UN map which shows more detail. What Google Maps shows is pretty much the same as what the UN map shows.
    I'm going to illustrate to you exactly why your theory about wastelands and sands and farm areas is flawed. In return, I expect assurances that you will respond and actively contribute and engage in a discussion so that ideas and opinions are exchanged and debated.

Before I endeavour on this task, do I have your assurance?

ReputationRep:
    Yet it's advertised as a "short range missile interceptor".
    "The system is designed to intercept and destroy short-range rockets and artillery shells fired from distances of 4 kilometers (2.5 mi) to 70 kilometers (43 mi) away and whose trajectory would take them to a populated area"

Within 2.5 miles the missile system cannot intercept the missiles in time, ones fired deeper in field yes but not the ones focused at the south of Israel. Hence why several thousand Israelis have fled there homes as well.

That's a brilliant idea. In fact, to "level the playing field" as you seemingly want them to do, Israel should supply the same military equipment that they use to the Palestinians and then get a round or two of fighting in.
    You can’t possibly be defending the use of missiles in urban areas are you?

I never said a level playing field. I stated that if Hamas really want to limit the amount of casualties it was taking it would send its military wing out into less urban areas or give advances warning to civilians in the vicinity to leave before they commence there attack.

Why are you getting so defensive? I'm merely asking YOUR opinion on the matter...
    The reason I said it in that manner as from your tone it suggest you feel that Israel shouldn’t. Israel like Gaza, belong in this world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsr1269;49358327
    Why are you getting so defensive? I'm merely asking [B
    )

YOUR[/B] opinion on the matter...
    It seems like you're the one who is getting worked up. Stevelee was just asking a question, and seemed as though he'd been quite unbiased thus far.

Though I suppose, as is often the case, if someone doesn't agree with you 100% they are subjected to shrieks of "Hasbara! Hasbara!"

ReputationRep:
    Still trying to avoid saying what you think it's comparable to? That's cool. I would too if I were in your position
    Given the fact that I have made no claim of the sort, perhaps you'd find it much more fruitful addressing your queries to the person who actually made the claim...

ReputationRep:
    Given the fact that I have made no claim of the sort
    So you agree that there is no genocide occurring in Gaza or against the Palestinians?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to illustrate to you exactly why your theory about wastelands and sands and farm areas is flawed. In return, I expect assurances that you will respond and actively contribute and engage in a discussion so that ideas and opinions are exchanged and debated.

Before I endeavour on this task, do I have your assurance?
    I have always responded and contributed and engaged in sensible discussions. But, as before, there may come a point where I have said all that needs saying and will therefore rest my case.

ReputationRep:
    Not only has he defended it, but he believes that it's far better than people die than for Hamas to fire their rockets from rural areas in Gaza and have a few turnips destroyed when Israel fires back.

I never said a level playing field. I stated that if Hamas really want to limit the amount of casualties it was taking it would send its military wing out into less urban areas or give advances warning to civilians in the vicinity to leave before they commence there attack.
    Their entire strategy is based around provoking an Israeli response, and having dead civilians who can be paraded in front of the television cameras. I mean, it's not bringing them any closer to a state, but they appear to view it as a great military victory

ReputationRep:
    "The system is designed to intercept and destroy short-range rockets and artillery shells fired from distances of 4 kilometers (2.5 mi) to 70 kilometers (43 mi) away and whose trajectory would take them to a populated area"

Within 2.5 miles the missile system cannot intercept the missiles in time, ones fired deeper in field yes but not the ones focused at the south of Israel. Hence why several thousand Israelis have fled there homes as well.
    Oh, 2.5 miles is nothing.

The nearest settlement from Gaza is approximately 1.5 miles away. Israel has imposed a 3km buffer zone within Gaza meaning that to launch a rocket, a person would have to be at least 3.3 miles away, which is more than enough time for ID to kick into action.

They might as well just commit suicide en-masse for all the good that it would do them...

The reason I said it in that manner as from your tone it suggest you feel that Israel shouldn’t. Israel like Gaza, belong in this world.
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    So you agree that there is no genocide occurring in Gaza or against the Palestinians?
    Not made a claim =/= support opposing viewpoint.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniOfLife)
    I have always responded and contributed and engaged in sensible discussions. But, as before, there may come a point where I have said all that needs saying and will therefore rest my case.
    Just give me a straight answer. Yes or no?

I shall not have my time wasted...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.