The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Liverpool and Man Utd have no chance of winning Europa league it is between Dortmund, Villareal & Sevilla
Original post by Lúcio
I really think we could do something similar to what we did to City.
We completely surpressed them and forced them in to mistakes.
United will have one eye on the FA Cup game and we should exploit this by running them ragged.

Score early and we're set.

I think by now we should've learned our lesson tbh.

We'll probably know exactly how the game will go by the 20 minute mark.
If we haven't scored or we're looking poor, it could be a long night.

It was a weird one because Man City avoided us doing that to them in the League Cup final. I think the EL takes bigger priority over the FA Cup for Man Utd. I wouldn't be surprised to see a rested side at the weekend depending on the score tonight.

Tbh if we get the first goal, I think it sets us up for the rest of the tie since we can just play on the counter.
Original post by Zerforax
It was a weird one because Man City avoided us doing that to them in the League Cup final. I think the EL takes bigger priority over the FA Cup for Man Utd. I wouldn't be surprised to see a rested side at the weekend depending on the score tonight.

Tbh if we get the first goal, I think it sets us up for the rest of the tie since we can just play on the counter.

I dunno, I doubt United think they can win the EL and FA Cup would give them a guaranteed EL spot.
If they go out of both, their season could implode.

Exactly. United will be expecting a fast start so we have to play well enough that it doesn't matter they're prepared. If we win by 2 clear goals tonight, I think the tie will be over.
If not, 1-0 would be a lovely score. No away goals for United is what we need.
Original post by Lúcio
I dunno, I doubt United think they can win the EL and FA Cup would give them a guaranteed EL spot.
If they go out of both, their season could implode.

Exactly. United will be expecting a fast start so we have to play well enough that it doesn't matter they're prepared. If we win by 2 clear goals tonight, I think the tie will be over.
If not, 1-0 would be a lovely score. No away goals for United is what we need.

Well the Premier League finish could also give them an EL spot. I think they have to try and chase that CL qualification spot - the Glazers/fans will demand it and the benefits are too huge.

Tbh I think their season has already imploded somewhat (like ours). Yea it's a huge tie for both clubs.

Bit annoying, I would've quite liked to have watched the Dortmund/Spurs game too but I don't think I'll make it out for 6pm.
Well the Premier League finish could also give them an EL spot. I think they have to try and chase that CL qualification spot - the Glazers/fans will demand it and the benefits are too huge.

Tbh I think their season has already imploded somewhat (like ours). Yea it's a huge tie for both clubs.

Bit annoying, I would've quite liked to have watched the Dortmund/Spurs game too but I don't think I'll make it out for 6pm.

Do you think they have the league form though?
Yes they're good against rivals but they're constantly losing to lesser teams.
I'd say West Ham have a better chance and even then, one of City/Arsenal would have to make way.

Has our season imploded though? We were unlucky to lose in the League Cup final and we're doing well in the EL. Not to mention we're on great form in the league and have had a managerial change.
All things considered, can anybody really complain here?

I'll watch both games - I think I'd rather Dortmund progress because I see Spurs as more of a threat. Plus if we faced them it would be an amazing atmosphere and lovely for Klopp.
Original post by Lúcio
Do you think they have the league form though?
Yes they're good against rivals but they're constantly losing to lesser teams.
I'd say West Ham have a better chance and even then, one of City/Arsenal would have to make way.

Has our season imploded though? We were unlucky to lose in the League Cup final and we're doing well in the EL. Not to mention we're on great form in the league and have had a managerial change.
All things considered, can anybody really complain here?

I'll watch both games - I think I'd rather Dortmund progress because I see Spurs as more of a threat. Plus if we faced them it would be an amazing atmosphere and lovely for Klopp.

Well they're as good as us in the league. It's all pretty tight and changes week to week.

Tbh our season has been as bad as Man Utd's (unless you're of the view that they have higher expectations).

I think Spurs will play a weak team and don't care if they get knocked out so that they can focus on the title challenge.
Yh Spurs don't really need to take EL seriously and neither do Dortmund as they can qualify for the CL domestically but it's still a European trophy and I expect both teams to have a good go at it.
Well they're as good as us in the league. It's all pretty tight and changes week to week.

Tbh our season has been as bad as Man Utd's (unless you're of the view that they have higher expectations).

I think Spurs will play a weak team and don't care if they get knocked out so that they can focus on the title challenge.

True; United and Liverpool have had our fair share of lucky wins lately (Watford and Palace respectively). That being said, we're the ones on current form and we have Soton up next to make it 4 in a row. That's not a bad fixture at all.

Yes, it has been as bad as theirs, but - as I mentioned - we've had a managerial change and their expectations are probably higher. Nobody expected top 4 when Klopp took over, but we're doing well in the EL and got to a cup final. If we can bring in some strong signings in the summer, we can really compete for top 4 next season.

Spurs aren't the ones for playing a weak team really, not against strong opposition. They won't do a City and surrender before the game even starts. It doesn't matter if they go out, but they won't lose cheaply.
This tie is Klopp's last chance to save his first season from being a complete failure.
Original post by Lúcio
True; United and Liverpool have had our fair share of lucky wins lately (Watford and Palace respectively). That being said, we're the ones on current form and we have Soton up next to make it 4 in a row. That's not a bad fixture at all.

Yes, it has been as bad as theirs, but - as I mentioned - we've had a managerial change and their expectations are probably higher. Nobody expected top 4 when Klopp took over, but we're doing well in the EL and got to a cup final. If we can bring in some strong signings in the summer, we can really compete for top 4 next season.

Spurs aren't the ones for playing a weak team really, not against strong opposition. They won't do a City and surrender before the game even starts. It doesn't matter if they go out, but they won't lose cheaply.

Tottenham XI: Lloris, Trippier, Alderweireld, Wimmer, Davies; Carroll, Mason, Onomah, Son, Eriksen, Chadli,

Is that strong or weak? :colondollar:
Tottenham XI: Lloris, Trippier, Alderweireld, Wimmer, Davies; Carroll, Mason, Onomah, Son, Eriksen, Chadli,

Is that strong or weak? :colondollar:

:colonhash:

You've been doing too much rekage lately Zerf, pls :frown:
Original post by Lúcio
:colonhash:

You've been doing too much rekage lately Zerf, pls :frown:

Not sure why they need to play such a weak team tbh. They play Aston Villa at the weekend who are terrible at the moment.

You don't see Dortmund playing a weak team even though they are also only 5 points off the leaders in their league.

I still maintain it's flawed to think you can compete only in the league to qualify for the CL on season and then think you can compete in both the following year.
Mignolet, Clyne, Lovren, Sakho, Moreno, Can, Henderson, Lallana, Coutinho, Firmino, Sturridge

Subs: Ward, Toure, Benteke, Allen, Origi, Smith, Ojo
This is quite a big game then...

I just don't want us to bottle it and play terribly :frown:
Come on Liverpool! I just hope the team put up a good fight.
Jesus Christ, Moreno is bloody terrible.
Penalty!!
PENALTY!
Why is Sturridge taking????
Sturrige to take scores!

Latest