Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    You would think we could have won Tooting, which would certainly be easier, not least with the much smaller majority, but the money is on a labour hold

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I had completely forgotten there was a by-election today what with everything that's happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Possibly. Depends how effort the Tories put in. There are certainly good areas where they could get out a good blue vote, the question is whether Ukip can split Labour in Batley and Heckmondwike.
    Seems a bit weird to be discussing tactics for by election so soon, as if she hadn't been murdered.

When an MP is brutally murdered it might just be me who thinks people's first thoughts shouldn't be party politics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    Britain first is left wing... And anti immigration so again brexiter. Just because you don't want to belive that the cause you support can be wrong...
    The BNP is economically left-wing, BF's administrators don't have the intellect to put together a cohesive policy platform.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it is irrational, and overly emotional but the news today has really affected me, the death of a labor party mp, taken by the hands of someone else has had a massive impact on me, and I wish all the best to Jo Cox's family and loved ones, I said this in the statement thread, but I'll repeat it here as well as I know some are paying their respects in the bar as well.

She was doing her job as an elected representative, helping those who she represents and was killed, leaving behind a husband and young children. I hope her death can mean something in the battle against the hate which killed her as she all her life strove to fight against in both her work since the General Election as an MP and in her work previous to becoming an MP for organisations such as Oxfam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Maybe it is irrational, and overly emotional but the news today has really affected me, the death of a labor party mp, taken by the hands of someone else has had a massive impact on me, and I wish all the best to Jo Cox's family and loved ones, I said this in the statement thread, but I'll repeat it here as well as I know some are paying their respects in the bar as well.

She was doing her job as an elected representative, helping those who she represents and was killed, leaving behind a husband and young children. I hope her death can mean something in the battle against the hate which killed her as she all her life strove to fight against in both her work since the General Election as an MP and in her work previous to becoming an MP for organisations such as Oxfam.
    Hear hear.
    A beautiful and devoted woman murdered. We are now a country that has political killings. Darkest day in British politics in a long time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    The BNP is economically left-wing, BF's administrators don't have the intellect to put together a cohesive policy platform.
    Interestingly BF has come out and said its nothing to do with them and that he wasn't a member.
    I forgot that the BNF and BF were different.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Seems a bit weird to be discussing tactics for by election so soon, as if she hadn't been murdered.

When an MP is brutally murdered it might just be me who thinks people's first thoughts shouldn't be party politics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The fact she's dead is clearly horrid and as a political animal i'll pay my respects by popping something at the statue in Birstall like many others however she's dead and dilly dallying won't bring her back.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    Interestingly BF has come out and said its nothing to do with them and that he wasn't a member.
    I forgot that the BNF and BF were different.
    Of course they would. I don't think BF have escalated to murder. If the eye-witnesses are correct it was either a deranged supporter or someone shouting 'Put Britain first!' rather than actually referencing the organisation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

Exactly this. I also feel a lot more emotional than I usually do about these sorts of things.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad

No disrespect, but why has this overly effected you?! As opposed to some other person who has been murdered today
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Of course they would. I don't think BF have escalated to murder. If the eye-witnesses are correct it was either a deranged supporter or someone shouting 'Put Britain first!' rather than actually referencing the organisation.
    It sounds like the police are accepting "put Britain first" according to the BBC. Suggesting an EU referendum motive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    No disrespect, but why has this overly effected you?! As opposed to some other person who has been murdered today
    I don't think I can pin point it precisely but I think it is due to a number of reasons.

This comes so soon after the Orlando shooting, which as a member of the lgbt community affected me deeply, to see such an attack on my community. Then we have today seen an attack on an elected representative doing what they were elected to do, help and represent their constituency and constituencies. Furthermore, without trying to drag party politics into it, Jo Cox was a Labour MP, a Labour member, while her death represents something bigger, an attack on democracy to an extent it could be argued, it is another attack on a community I am a part of, the Labour Party community. Only this time the attack is not thousands of miles away in a Country where we are use to hearing news of shootings and mass killings, but this was a shooting in Yorkshire, a couple hours away from me.

I guess the reason this has overly affected me is in such a short time two communities I am identity with strongly have suffered such horrific attacks, only with Jo Cox it is local, it is in England, and it is so sudden and unexpected, making the world for me feel that much darker today than it did yesterday, and yesterday was already clouded with darkness from Orlando.

ReputationRep:
    Saw this in my facebook feed...

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)

Not a compatible url, direct from Facebook never is (unless it's video), you either have to download and re upload, screenshot and insert it, or otherwise make it third party

The question for the image is where, with what, and what in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I found out this morning as I am still abroad.

An MP who had worked in the real world before becoming an MP, was proud to represent her home area, and one of the few new MPs I had heard interviewed. Above all someone whose family will be grieving, and for whom my thoughts are for.

Today I am visiting the Parliament building where a fire in 1932 was used as an excuse for restricting democracy. Let´s make sure Jo Cox´s death is not used to restrict democracy.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Based on an average of all polls in the last week, an average of telephone polls and an average of the big 3 for me (ICM, Ipsos, Comres)... we're Out of the EU.

Bar a shock poll i'll be placing my bets at the bookies this weekend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)

Amazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Based on an average of all polls in the last week, an average of telephone polls and an average of the big 3 for me (ICM, Ipsos, Comres)... we're Out of the EU.

Bar a shock poll i'll be placing my bets at the bookies this weekend.
    Are bookies still favouring remian?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    Are bookies still favouring remian?
    Yes
    Remain 1/2
    Leave 7/4
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Yes
    Remain 1/2
    Leave 7/4
    Interesting. Fairly against the general polling data.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.