Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    We're in the home stretch now. 6 months has now passed since starting our PGCE. I can't help but feel exhausted already. I have got my hardest class tomorrow and half of them did not even do the homework I have set them, Its a shame now cos I have to follow it up and that makes me even more tired

Its been a great ride so far and I am glad that I have picked the right profession. No days are the same and you always learn something new everyday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I'm really annoyed. I have a lovely year 7 class, butvyesterday we got a newcomer who has moved over from a challenging school as his parents divorced. He is an absolute pain in the behind. He doesn't distract the class or anything but having one awkward kid puts me off my lesson and I end up having to spend a lot of time getting him to behave. He is clearly bored out of his mind, so he fidgets excessively and moves around a lot. Not sure what to do with him. I wanted to give him a ball of blu tack like I did with my adhd kids in first placement, but my mentor told me it would encourage him to fidget and she would rather I trained him out of it. He has just ruined the one class I enjoyed teaching.

Yeah...that freedom is sort of my problem. Some could say I'm being too picky

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Give him a responsibility? Like book monitor, pen monitor etc. I've found that really helps with fidgety kids. Also tangible rewards work like raffle tickets that could lead to a prize at the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Had my first little pgde cry. Two awful back to back lessons. It's a reduced time day so lessons have gone from 60 minutes to 40 minutes and it was just hell. I had issues teaching the same lesson to a year 9 group yesterday and I had to repeat the lesson (with what I thought were adjustments) but in a shorter amount of time.

Really finding year 9 to be my bad year group again but I also think I'm making it harder on myself by being stuck in that mindset.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any experience with support/pastoral roles at schools? I am thinking of applying for those, if I don't have a job come September, but I realise I don't really know much about what it entails. I am 100% certain I want to work in education, just not as a teacher :dontknow: /

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Had my first little pgde cry. Two awful back to back lessons. It's a reduced time day so lessons have gone from 60 minutes to 40 minutes and it was just hell. I had issues teaching the same lesson to a year 9 group yesterday and I had to repeat the lesson (with what I thought were adjustments) but in a shorter amount of time.

Really finding year 9 to be my bad year group again but I also think I'm making it harder on myself by being stuck in that mindset.
    Don't worry, I have a hard year 9 class too:hugs:.You're doing a great job, keep persevering and you will get your reward.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Lightning)
    Don't worry, I have a hard year 9 class too:hugs:.You're doing a great job, keep persevering and you will get your reward.
    I think it just really hit me and then I took that negativity into my next lesson. I think I almost cried during my second lesson and my mentor spotted it happening. Embarrassing that I felt like I was losing control in front of one of my favourite classes.

I've stayed in a hotel near my school this evening to get all of my documentation in order so that I can at least start feeling a bit more in control. It definitely beats my usual 45 minute commute and it means I get to have a proper night of sleep tonight. No teaching tomorrow so I just need to breathe and realise I'm still just a trainee. I'm still learning.

ReputationRep:
    I think it just really hit me and then I took that negativity into my next lesson. I think I almost cried during my second lesson and my mentor spotted it happening. Embarrassing that I felt like I was losing control in front of one of my favourite classes.

I've stayed in a hotel near my school this evening to get all of my documentation in order so that I can at least start feeling a bit more in control. It definitely beats my usual 45 minute commute and it means I get to have a proper night of sleep tonight. No teaching tomorrow so I just need to breathe and realise I'm still just a trainee. I'm still learning.
    Year 9 is traditionally the most difficult year, although there are signs that it's filtering down into year 8 these days, what with earlier puberty and the like. It's the time when there is the maximum gap between the sexes, developmentally. Girls are much more mature and the boys can still be little boys, and they don't gel together well sometimes. It isn't just you!

ReputationRep:
    This week has definately been the worst of my pgce. Ive had two truly terrible lessons, a 4A and a 4B (and the 4B was generous) ive totally lost confidence in myself and just feel utterly miserable.

ReputationRep:
    People seem to be flagging at this stage. I've turned into a kind of zombie - trying to plod through every day until the end. I can only focus on putting one foot in front of the other at the moment and I'm not even counting down as I'm trying to get through each day at a time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    This week has definately been the worst of my pgce. Ive had two truly terrible lessons, a 4A and a 4B (and the 4B was generous) ive totally lost confidence in myself and just feel utterly miserable.
    I can only say that it goes in waves and what goes down will also come back up again. This is a difficult time of year. Kids and staff are tired after winter, the exam classes are gearing up for the last lap, Easter still seems a long way off etc etc. You've got past the beginner's luck, honeymoon stage and it has all become a bit real. You will learn how to handle it, but be kind to yourself on the way. Doing anything well takes time. Think of it as a sport. You have to learn the basics and then practise, practise, practise to get to professional standard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I can only say that it goes in waves and what goes down will also come back up again. This is a difficult time of year. Kids and staff are tired after winter, the exam classes are gearing up for the last lap, Easter still seems a long way off etc etc. You've got past the beginner's luck, honeymoon stage and it has all become a bit real. You will learn how to handle it, but be kind to yourself on the way. Doing anything well takes time. Think of it as a sport. You have to learn the basics and then practise, practise, practise to get to professional standard.
    Thanks, i think perhaps i had got cocky, i had had some really good lessons, was averaging 2's with the occasional 3A and this week its all just gone to pot. I had the best lesson ever monday morning, observer had said it was almost a 1 and then this week has just descended into rubbishness. Everyone is staying really positive and saying brush it off but im now terrified that nothing im doing is up to scratch and one teacher in particular doesnt give away anything before hand, theyre always like try it and see :/

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, i think perhaps i had got cocky, i had had some really good lessons, was averaging 2's with the occasional 3A and this week its all just gone to pot. I had the best lesson ever monday morning, observer had said it was almost a 1 and then this week has just descended into rubbishness. Everyone is staying really positive and saying brush it off but im now terrified that nothing im doing is up to scratch and one teacher in particular doesnt give away anything before hand, theyre always like try it and see :/
    You're completely normal. Some days things go well from the outset and the next you can't even catch a cold. There's a strange chemistry in classrooms which influences things even when you can't define why. I've been doing the job for 32 years and I have bad days still, as do all teachers, and any who say they don't are in denial or being deliberately cruel to newbies.

ReputationRep:
    You're completely normal. Some days things go well from the outset and the next you can't even catch a cold. There's a strange chemistry in classrooms which influences things even when you can't define why. I've been doing the job for 32 years and I have bad days still, as do all teachers, and any who say they don't are in denial or being deliberately cruel to newbies.
    Thanks for the pep talk! think im ready for easter now!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the pep talk! think im ready for easter now!
    Well, I think we all are! I used to be a mentor for 2 universities and what you are feeling is extremely common amongst not only trainees but also full time staff. Chin up!

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think we all are! I used to be a mentor for 2 universities and what you are feeling is extremely common amongst not only trainees but also full time staff. Chin up!
    Thats both good and bad to hear

ReputationRep:
    Thats both good and bad to hear
    Well, you may as well know the truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonniex123)
    People seem to be flagging at this stage. I've turned into a kind of zombie - trying to plod through every day until the end. I can only focus on putting one foot in front of the other at the moment and I'm not even counting down as I'm trying to get through each day at a time.
    This is how I'm feeling right now and I'm not even on placement! Roll on Easter

ReputationRep:
    I went to my GP yesterday and he has diagnosed me with anxiety and depression, which he believes may have been triggered by the messing around I have had from this course (I have had episodes of this in the past although I've been fine up until a couple of months ago). He has signed me off for a month and has told me he can give me another note in a months time if I feel I need it. I was meant to be going in today for a meeting with my personal tutor to "discuss options" however I've just sent her an email telling her that I wish to suspended my studies on medical grounds. I'm going to have a think about whether or not I'm going to re-start it somewhere else in September or not; I think my experience has put me off! I'm going to stay at my boyfriend's place for a few days as I really need to get away for a bit!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm definitely hitting the pgce wall of self doubt and worry. I wake up thinking of lessons to do because I'm so worried that pupils will hate me and my classes.

(Original post by gemmam)
    I went to my GP yesterday and he has diagnosed me with anxiety and depression, which he believes may have been triggered by the messing around I have had from this course (I have had episodes of this in the past although I've been fine up until a couple of months ago). He has signed me off for a month and has told me he can give me another note in a months time if I feel I need it. I was meant to be going in today for a meeting with my personal tutor to "discuss options" however I've just sent her an email telling her that I wish to suspended my studies on medical grounds. I'm going to have a think about whether or not I'm going to re-start it somewhere else in September or not; I think my experience has put me off! I'm going to stay at my boyfriend's place for a few days as I really need to get away for a bit!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh that's awful. You poor thing! Take this time to get yourself rested and try not to think about anything for the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm definitely hitting the pgce wall of self doubt and worry. I wake up thinking of lessons to do because I'm so worried that pupils will hate me and my classes.

Oh that's awful. You poor thing! Take this time to get yourself rested and try not to think about anything for the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I hope she still doesn't make me go to that meeting. Its with her and another tutor and I have a feeling its going to be an ambush (as the same happened to another student after she made a complaint about the course) and I don't feel mentally strong enough for that atm. I'm more worried about whats going to happen in regards to finding a job more than anything tbh but I feel liberated now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.