Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    My old "I'm going to be a medic :woo: x1000" status keeps appearing down the side panel on my facebook page. Brings back the memories :daydreaming:
    D'awwwwww. That's sweet.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    D'awwwwww. That's sweet.
    Just realised why I keep seeing it - It's a "On this day in 2010" thing :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Just realised why I keep seeing it - It's a "On this day in 2010" thing :rolleyes:
    Mine did this, with all the "AAH I'm so terrified about results tomorrow..." status... I could have done without the reminder of what I was doing a year ago on that particular day really... XD

On another note, I was seriously bored and decided to go through some first year notes from the beginning of the year, just so my brain isn't totally and completely fudged next month when we go back and are actually expected to remember things.

I came across this and wondered if anyone could explain, because I feel stupid for not getting it.

(In Martini's anat & phys pg 884 if anyone's really interested...) About lung compliance during pulmonary ventilation - "loss of supporting tissues resulting from alveolar damage, as in emphysema, increases compliance"

Surely it would reduce compliance, as reduced elasticity would make it harder to expand the lungs?

Would be a massive help if someone could help clear my confusion!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrGalago)
    x
    Emphysema =less resistance and makes it easier to inflate the lungs but harder to deflate unlike asthma which restricts the airways and so makes it harder to inflate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lantana)
    Emphysema =less resistance and makes it easier to inflate the lungs but harder to deflate unlike asthma which restricts the airways and so makes it harder to inflate.
    Ah yeah... Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    IIRC, that's not neccessarily true. It still inflates in asthma and is difficult to deflate, similar to emphysema. It's just for different reasons and one is an acute problem (usually)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    IIRC, that's not neccessarily true. It still inflates in asthma and is difficult to deflate, similar to emphysema. It's just for different reasons and one is an acute problem (usually)
    Care to expand? I thought that if you decreased radius of an airwat, then the same amount of air needs more pressure to flow past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrGalago)
    (In Martini's anat & phys pg 884 if anyone's really interested...) About lung compliance during pulmonary ventilation - "loss of supporting tissues resulting from alveolar damage, as in emphysema, increases compliance"

Surely it would reduce compliance, as reduced elasticity would make it harder to expand the lungs?

Would be a massive help if someone could help clear my confusion!
    Compliance is the ability of a lung to stretch during inspiration. Recoil is the ability to deflate during expiration.

So in emphysema, you have destruction of alveolar tissue (neutrophil/macrophage elastase which is proteolytic, normally suppressed by a1-antitrypsin).

So by having less elastin in the alveolar walls, you have sort of reduced the natural ability for the alveolar walls to 'spring' back together, like the first few puffs of a balloon are really tough initally, because of the natural tendency for the balloon to collapse. The downside to this increased compliance is the air trapping that you get, leading to the whole increased FRC, increased dead space etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be careful with the use of the word "restricts" - asthma is still an obstructive defect if you look at spirometry, and the principle problem in acute asthma is also air trapping and difficulty exhaling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Different reasons:

Asthma= more proximal
    Emphysema=Distal disease

ReputationRep:
    Please support bacteria by not washing hands in the NHS... it's the only culture we have left

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    Compliance is the ability of a lung to stretch during inspiration. Recoil is the ability to deflate during expiration.

So in emphysema, you have destruction of alveolar tissue (neutrophil/macrophage elastase which is proteolytic, normally suppressed by a1-antitrypsin).

So by having less elastin in the alveolar walls, you have sort of reduced the natural ability for the alveolar walls to 'spring' back together, like the first few puffs of a balloon are really tough initally, because of the natural tendency for the balloon to collapse. The downside to this increased compliance is the air trapping that you get, leading to the whole increased FRC, increased dead space etc.
    Thanks, that made it a lot clearer. My confusion mainly stemmed from the fact that the introductory paragraph outlining what compliance was said that it was "how easy it is to fill AND empty the lungs". It makes a lot more sense if compliance is simply the filling aspect!

ReputationRep:
    Once again, JL makes his just about to start 2nd year compatriots look like they have special needs in comparison. :ahee:
    Just about to start 3rd years too. I could face reading it. Sleep deprived and wall of text made me go lalalala. Boat was fun though.
    Now should I re look through the last 2 years before clinicals? I feel I know nothing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Just about to start 3rd years too. I could face reading it. Sleep deprived and wall of text made me go lalalala. Boat was fun though.
    Now should I re look through the last 2 years before clinicals? I feel I know nothing...
    Nah mate, all redundant really. Just read the OHCM, will prepare you fully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzcat)
    If anyone is more interested in fitness than fairness amongst inherently pretentious medical students I've just set up a running challenge on endomondo.com for a bit of friendly competition - it's free to register, all you need is a smart phone/a stopwatch.

Fastest 5K between now and 16th Sept wins a couriered Snickers DUO and a pat on the back from yours truly.

All welcome - http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/2234265
    Exercise? Hmmm I think I would probably die half way through...

(Original post by digitalis)
    Nah mate, all redundant really. Just read the OHCM, will prepare you fully.
    Ok cool. I am just amazed at how much you can forget in 6 weeks. Might get parents to go through basic examinations too so I don't look totally clueless (we haven't done any examination yet other than prodding each other in anatomy which IMO doesn't count)

As for the previous PBL debate I skimmed. I hate it, takes too long to do properly, I did get out a peds book twice the size of grays once then realised little point putting effort when everyone else's would be the first semi respectable link that wasn't wiki (banned at imperial :holmes:). Imperial fortunately don't take it too seriously and onle had one exam on it (which I almost failed).

ReputationRep:
    As for the previous PBL debate I skimmed. I hate it, takes too long to do properly, I did get out a peds book twice the size of grays once then realised little point putting effort when everyone else's would be the first semi respectable link that wasn't wiki (banned at imperial :holmes:). Imperial fortunately don't take it too seriously and onle had one exam on it (which I almost failed).
    That's possibly one of the reasons you dislike it. Attitude counts a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    That's possibly one of the reasons you dislike it. Attitude counts a lot.
    No I don't like it because personally I think relying on other students to find information is a bad idea and in the end unless you have a brilliant group you are going to sit through a load of **** presentations. Tutorials are infinitely better than PBL.

If the uni took it seriously I might make more effort but probably just enough to get by.

ReputationRep:
    No I don't like it because personally I think relying on other students to find information is a bad idea and in the end unless you have a brilliant group you are going to sit through a load of **** presentations. Tutorials are infinitely better than PBL.
    Ah, different places do PBL differently. We don't really do the whole everyone takes an individual objective and presents findings to the group method; we do the everyone does all the objectives and we come back and discuss results, highlighting any areas of confusion thing. I don't consider myself to rely on others to find information.

I prefer tutorials too, I just really don't like lectures.

If the uni took it seriously I might make more effort but probably just enough to get by.
    Fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    Cost of getting the train from Exeter to Nottingham, with a railcard, booked one week in advance: £60.

Cost of getting the megabus to Birmingham then the train to Nottingham: £27.

The train people are ****ing pirates.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Cost of getting the train from Exeter to Nottingham, with a railcard, booked one week in advance: £60.

Cost of getting the megabus to Birmingham then the train to Nottingham: £27.

The train people are ****ing pirates.
    But megabus is also ridiculously cheap. It's £1 from Norwich to London.

I haven't tried it out yet, bearing in mind the train home costs me ~£12 each way :dontknow:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.