Is Wenger signing a new contract?

If so, then I'll be happy.
    He says he's ready to commit long term.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    He says he's ready to commit long term.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not for certain, if anything, I don't think he'll sign a deal until after the season.

But Wenger said he would base the decision on whether to re-sign on performance and added he would not take anything for granted. He is under pressure to win a first trophy since 2005 and admitted this was "an important season for me".
    Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...l-contract-psg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Rather we sign someone like Afellay or Draxler before Bernard.
    Bernard is an exciting prospect but the amount of money being talked about is a LOT. He has no experience at a high level, I don't really see how he would fit in our team right now and also I would worry about his size and stature in the Prem.

For £10 mil I'd be really happy to have him at Arsenal but for so much more would be a big big risk imo.

ReputationRep:
    Roma have upped their bid for Gervinho to 7m by all accounts, and he's not been taken on the tour. Would be nice...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Roma have upped their bid for Gervinho to 7m by all accounts, and he's not been taken on the tour. Would be nice...
    I'd rather keep him tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    I'd rather keep him tbh
    You'd be in a minority.

A very minutiae minority

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    You'd be in a minority.

A very minutiae minority
    I'd rather keep him as well tbh. Unless we replace him with someone who will be better and more useful...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    I'd rather keep him tbh
    I think he's alot better than his performances suggests but realistically, it would take a ridiculous turnaround for him to be good enough for us. Imagine having to use Gervinho in the event of an injury crisis? We'd be up **** creek and 7m is a decent price.

ReputationRep:
    £7m is a very decent price. He has potential but that's it. He'd do a decent enough job at a French team like Marseille or a club like Roma but for us he just isn't good enough. Assuming Santi will be used on the left this year, he'll be competing with the likes of Podolski, Walcott and Chamberlain too so I can't see him getting much playing time

Btw when's our first game?.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Btw when's our first game?.

Tomorrow, KO is at 2:45

ReputationRep:
    I so hope that Arsene Wenger stays, Arsenal are such a laughing stock at the moment and I hope that continues

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkertailor)
    I so hope that Arsene Wenger stays, Arsenal are such a laughing stock at the moment and I hope that continues
    That was hilarious.

I like Gervinho's attitude and commitment, but I wouldn't be hugely disappointed if he were to leave (I'd feel bad if it was on very acrimonious terms, but otherwise not so much). :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, after watching this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nClbmwn3dBU

You'll realise that Gervinho is not that bad a player. I think we should keep him for one more season. If he improved on his finishing and team passing skills he'd be a fantastic winger. If we sold him, we'd replace him with Nani. I don't see the point in that, they're both similar, inconsistent players.

The video above shows the importance of that Bayern win. It was absolutely crucial to our season. 2 or 3 faces and we should be in with a decent shout. A good start is paramount next season. If we don't win 5 out of the first 6 games we won't win the title, I'm sure of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Tomorrow, KO is at 2:45
    Will steams be showing this one? I for one hope so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    Will steams be showing this one? I for one hope so.
    There is a stream on firstrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    Tbh, after watching this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nClbmwn3dBU

You'll realise that Gervinho is not that bad a player. I think we should keep him for one more season. If he improved on his finishing and team passing skills he'd be a fantastic winger. If we sold him, we'd replace him with Nani. I don't see the point in that, they're both similar, inconsistent players.

The video above shows the importance of that Bayern win. It was absolutely crucial to our season. 2 or 3 faces and we should be in with a decent shout. A good start is paramount next season. If we don't win 5 out of the first 6 games we won't win the title, I'm sure of that.
    We can do better than Gervinho though. I rate his dribbling ability and he has had games when he's looked the part, but over the course of the season he's not offering enough to challenge for trophies imo. He's behind Walcott, AOC, Podolski and even Cazorla in the pecking order so it's also hard to see when he's going to get the chance to prove himself.

I think what we've missed since we sold Nasri is a ball playing wide player. None of our wingers are technically accomplished and so someone who is capable of cutting inside and linking up with Wilshere/Cazorla would give something different to our attacks, which often look static and predictable these days.If we took the 7/8m for Gervinho and added another 10m on top, then we could bid for the likes of Draxler at Schalke who would be an unbelievable signing. Alternatively, if Cazorla is going to play wide on the left then we will need another body in the middle, so Gerv's cash could be reinvested in Lars Bender for example. Either way our squad would look significantly more varied than currently.

Read Gary Neville y'day saying that if Chelsea get ahead early then they wont be caught, which I would agree with. Hopefully we'll hit the ground running this time and be there or there abouts by the new year. The NLD derby is a big game, if we can grind them into the dirt nice and early then that could be a catalyst for a great season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    We can do better than Gervinho though. I rate his dribbling ability and he has had games when he's looked the part, but over the course of the season he's not offering enough to challenge for trophies imo. He's behind Walcott, AOC, Podolski and even Cazorla in the pecking order so it's also hard to see when he's going to get the chance to prove himself.

I think what we've missed since we sold Nasri is a ball playing wide player. None of our wingers are technically accomplished and so someone who is capable of cutting inside and linking up with Wilshere/Cazorla would give something different to our attacks, which often look static and predictable these days.If we took the 7/8m for Gervinho and added another 10m on top, then we could bid for the likes of Draxler at Schalke who would be an unbelievable signing. Alternatively, if Cazorla is going to play wide on the left then we will need another body in the middle, so Gerv's cash could be reinvested in Lars Bender for example. Either way our squad would look significantly more varied than currently.

Read Gary Neville y'day saying that if Chelsea get ahead early then they wont be caught, which I would agree with. Hopefully we'll hit the ground running this time and be there or there abouts by the new year. The NLD derby is a big game, if we can grind them into the dirt nice and early then that could be a catalyst for a great season.
    I get what you're saying. To be honest, the player who would bring something completely new to Arsenal is Wayne Rooney. Whether we go onto sign any of these ace forwards is something else, but I for one hope that we do. One problem I'm seeing is where does Walcott sit? It looks like Wenger is not comfortable for him to be alone down the middle. I wonder how he feels about us being liked with all these star forwards.

I would be inclined to go with that. As said, if we don't get 15 out of 18 for the first 6, we have no chance of winning it. This even allows for a blip against Spurs. We need to hit the ground running. I hope Wenger does his business by the end of July, players need time to settle.

ReputationRep:
    Line up: Fabianski, Jenkinson, Miquel, Mertesacker, Gibbs, Arteta, Ramsey, Gnabry, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott, Akpom

ReputationRep:
    Looking at young players, i'd really like Arsenal to sign Lucas Piazon, think he's at Chelsea atm, but I think he's got potential.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.