Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moore39)
    Yes
    I'm waiting on Eversheds Manchester. It's been a really long time now and I know a lot of people have heard back either way. I am considering emailing graduate recruitment.

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody heard back from Penningtons Manches' London office?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawyertobe123)
    I'm waiting on Eversheds Manchester. It's been a really long time now and I know a lot of people have heard back either way. I am considering emailing graduate recruitment.
    Still waiting on Eversheds London. I called a few days back and I was told I'd get a call back, but still nothing.. it's been over six weeks post face to face grrrrr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conzy210)

What I found particularly useful about the open days is you get a feeling of the type of people they employ, what the work environment is like, hours etc. For example, I loved the day at Linklaters. Everyone I met was very down to earth, talked about how they worked extremely hard but also everyone was more than merely a corporate robot who's life was contained within their office. Hogan Lovells however I felt the complete opposite. Everyone felt they were very important, didn't seem to have any real personality and ultimately I don't thing it's a firm where I would ever really fit in.

DLA and King & Wood were fairly similar to Linklaters. I loved how everyone at King & Wood seemed so driven, they've grown extremely quickly and because of this I felt that they weren't resting on their laurels at all.
    On this point, I wouldn't necessarily take an open day to be the best indicator of the people at the firm/or people that you'll be making with as a trainee. There will be people who view Linklaters in the way that you view Hogan Lovells and vice versa. They aren't going to get the miserable trainees to come and help on the open days (well..not if they can help it.) and there will be trainees at all those firms in question who have no interest at all in helping out on the day.

The issues with firms like Links/Hogan Lovells/DLA/etc is that they have massive intakes, so within that intake you're bound to come across a combination of characters, some **** and nice people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liarpoker)
    On this point, I wouldn't necessarily take an open day to be the best indicator of the people at the firm/or people that you'll be making with as a trainee. There will be people who view Linklaters in the way that you view Hogan Lovells and vice versa. They aren't going to get the miserable trainees to come and help on the open days (well..not if they can help it.) and there will be trainees at all those firms in question who have no interest at all in helping out on the day.

The issues with firms like Links/Hogan Lovells/DLA/etc is that they have massive intakes, so within that intake you're bound to come across a combination of characters, some **** and nice people.
    Fully appreciate that you can't view what you experience at an open day as the full picture of how the firm operates, or what every employee is like. However I do genuinely feel you can gain an insight into whether a firm is right for you.

I'm sure people on the Hogan Lovells open day loved the firm, and the people they met. That's fine, clearly, it's all based on opinion.

All the firms I visited were huge, and of course have a large variety of people working for them, but you get a feeling after the day about whether or not you'd like to work there.

For example, at KWM no one wears a tie when conducting their daily business, only when meeting clients. The office seemed very relaxed, the people looked very relaxed and happy, it seemed to suit me. Then at Hogan Lovells everyone was wearing extremely smart, expensive suits, with a tie, which gives off a totally different impression.

Looking at that point it's very difficult to explain why something like that sways me to KWM when I fully understand that tie or no tie, the person in front of you could be a ****. However, for me you just pick up on lots of subtle little clues about the firm when visiting for the day, and ultimately develop a preference for one over the other.

ReputationRep:
    Penningtons Manches Reading VS offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JKRP11)
    Seems like a lot of people, including me, have still not heard from Gibson Dunn. Do you think it's worth someone making a phone call to see if they are still bothering? What do you guys think?
    Any news on this? Would love to know if they're even hosting a vacation scheme this year! We're fast approaching May!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omiclops)
    have you checked your Mischon "messenger" thing? mine changed from 'video interview' to 'assessment day' but i haven't received an email yet about it.

anyone have any ideas?
    How do you access the Mishcon messenger? Think the website is playing up for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benbutterworth)
    How do you access the Mishcon messenger? Think the website is playing up for me.
    https://fsr.cvmailuk.com/mishcon/mai...rd&rcd=3325116

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suliat)
    Still waiting on Eversheds London. I called a few days back and I was told I'd get a call back, but still nothing.. it's been over six weeks post face to face grrrrr
    The exact same happened to me when I called asking for the Leeds office

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almvp)
    Penningtons Manches Reading VS offer

Same well Basingstoke/Reading, is yours the same depending on dates and which practice area you say you'd prefer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vikkis20)
    Same well Basingstoke/Reading, is yours the same depending on dates and which practice area you say you'd prefer?
    Hey, did you attend the afternoon session? I am going to request the final 3 weeks of july and Ill let you know which one I am given Also Im thinking of choosing corporate or employment. You?

ReputationRep:
    For those waiting on Hill Dickinson- I went on their website last week to get their contact details to contact them in regard to the outcome for the summer scheme and saw that their Easter Scheme was last week (13th-17th April). So I guess we should hear soon now that their Easter scheme has been completed!!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard back from the Orrick Open Day?

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody tried the weightmans questionnaire yet? I won't be able to do it until the weekend but I'd be interested to know what kind of things they're asking. I assume it will all be competency based questions but if anyone could let me know I'd really appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    pfo dwf post AC... but on the plus side I've secured 2 vac schemes and a 2 day workshop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chianti1)
    Has anyone heard back from Barclays regarding the summer legal work experience weeks?
    Not yet :/ Have you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iloveowls123)
    Not yet :/ Have you?
    Neither have I heard anything!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard from Berg re the vac scheme?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard anything from Hill Dickinson yet?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.