Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsr1269)
    Just give me a straight answer. Yes or no?

I shall not have my time wasted...
    That was a straight answer. But if you need it spelled out: y-e-s.

I am genuinely intrigued to see how you will respond to clear, unequivocal evidence.

ReputationRep:
    Not made a claim =/= support opposing viewpoint.
    How did I know you wouldn't be able to give a straight answer?

Ironic given the very next post is you demanding a straight answer. Hypocrisy, thy name is tsr1269

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniOfLife)
    That was a straight answer. But if you need it spelled out: y-e-s.
    Okay. Give me until tonight or at the latest tomorrow to get my materials and everything together and we can start it then.

I am genuinely intrigued to see how you will respond to clear, unequivocal evidence.
    Not I, but WE.

To kick us off, would you like to continue using that UN map or the latest Google images map?

ReputationRep:
    They might as well just commit suicide en-masse for all the good that it would do them...
    Thank you for admitting that the reason Hamas puts civilian lives in danger is to save their own sordid lives.

Personally, I wouldn't want to live, being that kind of coward. But Islamists are a rather interesting bunch like that

ReputationRep:
    Oh, 2.5 miles is nothing.

The nearest settlement from Gaza is approximately 1.5 miles away. Israel has imposed a 3km buffer zone within Gaza meaning that to launch a rocket, a person would have to be at least 3.3 miles away, which is more than enough time for ID to kick into action.
    Not all missles are successfully intercepted. Some missiles do make it past this line of defense and hit populated cities.

They might as well just commit suicide en-masse for all the good that it would do them...
    Some say that Israel are commiting mass murder, on some level yes but so are hamas for continuing this pointless battle in the heart of urban areas.

ReputationRep:
    Okay. Give me until tonight or at the latest tomorrow to get my materials and everything together and we can start it then.

Not I, but WE.

To kick us off, would you like to continue using that UN map or the latest Google images map?
    Take as long as you need. Out of interest, who are the "we"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevelee)
    Not all missles are successfully intercepted. Some missiles do make it past this line of defense and hit populated cities.
    And the percentage of those killed like this in the last skirmish?

Some say that Israel are commiting mass murder, on some level yes but so are hamas for continuing this pointless battle in the heart of urban areas.
    I don't understand what you want from HAMAS. Do you want them to make things easier for the Israeli's?

ReputationRep:
    "so the next generation can wipe them from the face of the earth"

Peaceful people, I wonder why Israel has a problem with them :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Take as long as you need.
    Do you have a particular fondness towards a particular map?

Out of interest, who are the "we"?
    Well, you and I, obviously...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MostUncivilised)
    So you agree that there is no genocide occurring in Gaza or against the Palestinians?
    Ermm....can you elaborate on this? If you believe that there is no genocide occurring in Gaza you must be truly misinformed.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a particular fondness towards a particular map?
    I have presented some evidence showing that there is in fact significant open space, away from populated areas, which Hamas could use to stockpile their weapons and fire them from. If you have counter evidence, of any form from any reliable source, then you should use it.

Why do you ask about which map I care about?

ReputationRep:
    I wonder why they have a problem with Israel.

ReputationRep:
    I have presented some evidence showing that there is in fact significant open space, away from populated areas, which Hamas could use to stockpile their weapons and fire them from. If you have counter evidence, of any form from any reliable source, then you should use it.

Why do you ask about which map I care about?
    So that there are no quibbles later on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by striver17)
    Ermm....can you elaborate on this? If you believe that there is no genocide occurring in Gaza you must be truly misinformed.
    Not at all. As I have posted elsewhere, and I can hunt it down for you if you would like, judges have ruled in the past that the definition of "genocide" requires the killing of a significant portion of the population. 1,900 dead is a large number but it is certainly not a significant proportion of a population of 1.8 million.

ReputationRep:
    So that there are no quibbles later on.
    I have placed in front of you some evidence that it took perhaps 5-10 minutes to find and is pretty clear.

You have asked for a day or more to find counter evidence. When you have it, present it and I will respond to it.

ReputationRep:
    I have placed in front of you some evidence that it took perhaps 5-10 minutes to find and is pretty clear.

You have asked for a day or more to find counter evidence. When you have it, present it and I will respond to it.
    And I have asked if you have a preference for me to use your maps or the latest available maps and you have failed to answer.

As I have said, this little discussion requires contribution from both of us, not just one...

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. As I have posted elsewhere, and I can hunt it down for you if you would like, judges have ruled in the past that the definition of "genocide" requires the killing of a significant portion of the population. 1,900 dead is a large number but it is certainly not a significant proportion of a population of 1.8 million.
    The UN, under Article Two, defines genocide as "any of the following acts committed with the intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic, racial or religious group, as such":
    -Killing members of the group
    -Causing serious bodily harm or mental harm to members of the group
    -Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical damage in whole or In part
    -Imposing measures to prevent births within the group
    -Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group

Each and every one of these clauses can be witnessed in Palestine as we speak. If you would like me to give you examples of how Israel is breaching UN human rights laws under this definition of 'genocide,' I would be more than happy to.

ReputationRep:
    And I have asked if you have a preference for me to use your maps or the latest available maps and you have failed to answer.

As I have said, this little discussion requires contribution from both of us, not just one...
    I don't care which map you use so long as it is reliable. There are also figures I presented which are more useful than looking at a map and guessing. As I have said before quite clearly - present whatever evidence you want.

The UN, under Article Two, defines genocide as "any of the following acts committed with the intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic, racial or religious group, as such":
    -Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical damage in whole or In part

Each and every one of these clauses can be witnessed in Palestine as we speak. If you would like me to give you examples of how Israel is breaching UN human rights laws under this definition of 'genocide,' I would be more than happy to.
    I refer you to this post which proves that the condition "killing members of the group" requires killing a substantial proportion of the group. I quote from the article linked to in that post:

It is necessary to prove only that the perpetrator of genocide intended to destroy the group “in part.” The ICTY and the ICTR have interpreted this requirement by adding the adjective substantial, which indicates a quantitative dimension, or significant, which suggests a qualitative dimension. The ICTR has said “that ‘in part’ requires the intention to destroy a considerable number of individuals” (Prosecutor v. Kayishema et al., case no. ICTR*95*1*T, Judgment and Sentence, May 21, 1999, paragraph 97). An ICTY and ICTR trial chamber said that genocide must involve the intent to destroy a “substantial” part, although not necessarily a “very important part” (Prosecutor v. Jelisic ́, case no. IT*95*10*T, Judgment, October 19, 1999; Prosecutor v. Bagilishema, case no. ICTR*95*1A*T, Judgment, June 7, 2001, paragraphs 56–59). In another judgment, the ICTY referred to a “reasonably substantial” number relative to the group as a whole (Prosecutor v. Jelisic ́, case no. IT*95*10*T, Judgment, October 19, 1999; Prosecutor v. Bagilishema, case no. ICTR*95*1A*T, Judgment, June 7, 2001, paragraphs 56–59).
    As I said, the death toll in Gaza is certainly not a substantial part of the Palestinian population of Gaza. Ergo, Israel is certainly not committing genocide.

ReputationRep:
    UniOfLife has already demonstrated precisely why it requires "substantial" killings to qualify as genocide.

Though I take it you were extremely active in calling for the end of the Darfur Genocide? And Assad's genocide? After all, if 1900 Palestinians dead is a genocide in you book, I wonder what the Syrian Civil War constitutes?

Or do you only get angry when it's Jews killing Muslims, and look the other way when it's Muslims killing Muslims or Muslims killing Yezidi/Christians etc

ReputationRep:

By the way, where is the evidence that Israel committed any of those acts "with the intent to destroy, in whole or in part"?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.