Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    We're the only club in the premier league to have brought in less than three players. We've brought in one. Cech.
    You could understand a team like Chelsea and I mean just about understand a team like Chelsea not buying alot after winning the league. However, we have been coming 4th/3rd all this time and every other team is strengthening but Wenger thinks with the same squad we can win the league?

I dont understand the logic here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numan786)
    You could understand a team like Chelsea and I mean just about understand a team like Chelsea not buying alot after winning the league. However, we have been coming 4th/3rd all this time and every other team is strengthening but Wenger thinks with the same squad we can win the league?

I dont understand the logic here.
    The logic is pretty simple tbh whether it will be effective is another matter.

Wenger is basically banking on superior cohesion and familiarity within the squad to give us the edge on the pitch and in terms of mental strength. He thinks the existing squad is good enough to win the league on paper, which it is tbh. It may be the same squad but many players have improved.

He only has his eye on world class talent and blatant improvements to the squad. He won't take a punt on anything else.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is though it ISN'T the same team. Since Christmas we scored the most points of any team in the pl, since Christmas we have signed Gabriel, seen the emergence of coq (which, whilst I know everyone hates the saying, IS like a new signing) and signed Cech. That's 3 players in the spine of the team. That isn't too say we shouldn't be signing anyone, but when we have Welbeck, giroud, walcott, campbell, sanchez, chambo for the front 3, and coq arteta and flam for cdm, whilst 2 of those in each category are poverty, I can see why we aren't atm.
    That being said I still think we're in for a striker, but when there are only a handful who would be ideal and all are on long contracts at better, bigger teams transfer negotiations aren't going to be quick are they.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    The logic is pretty simple tbh whether it will be effective is another matter.

Wenger is basically banking on superior cohesion and familiarity within the squad to give us the edge on the pitch and in terms of mental strength. He thinks the existing squad is good enough to win the league on paper, which it is tbh. It may be the same squad but many players have improved.

He only has his eye on world class talent and blatant improvements to the squad. He won't take a punt on anything else.
    By the time we wait for and buy 1 WC player, Chelsea/City/Utd will have brought 3 in and we will be in the same position again i.e. always the 3rd/4th best team in the league. Wenger is not ruthless enough to go into the market when we're so close to winning the league and getting those 2-3 signings to win the league ala Chelsea last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numan786)
    By the time we wait for and buy 1 WC player, Chelsea/City/Utd will have brought 3 in and we will be in the same position again i.e. always the 3rd/4th best team in the league. Wenger is not ruthless enough to go into the market when we're so close to winning the league and getting those 2-3 signings to win the league ala Chelsea last year.
    Which world class players has moved to England this summer? The talent just isn't out there atm, the squad is at a pretty high level already so why add players who may or may not marginally improve the first 11 and disrupt cohesion and familiarity?

The idea that Wenger isn't "ruthless" enough is false. If the Cech deal doesn't disprove that idea I don't what does. If the talent is available he'll pounce regardless of who get's upset eg Ozil taking over AM from Santi, Alexis taking over LW from Podolski, Cech taking over GK from Ospina and Woj.

I think leinad has a point wrt the likes of Coq, Gabriel, Cech and Theo adding more quality to the sqaud because they were missing for large parts or weren't here for last season

ReputationRep:
    we should swoop for Illaramendi and Kalou and be done with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    The thing is though it ISN'T the same team. Since Christmas we scored the most points of any team in the pl, since Christmas we have signed Gabriel, seen the emergence of coq (which, whilst I know everyone hates the saying, IS like a new signing) and signed Cech. That's 3 players in the spine of the team. That isn't too say we shouldn't be signing anyone, but when we have Welbeck, giroud, walcott, campbell, sanchez, chambo for the front 3, and coq arteta and flam for cdm, whilst 2 of those in each category are poverty, I can see why we aren't atm.
    That being said I still think we're in for a striker, but when there are only a handful who would be ideal and all are on long contracts at better, bigger teams transfer negotiations aren't going to be quick are they.

Coquelin isn't very good though.

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe I've only just seen this. GOAT tweet.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelfox)
    Coquelin isn't very good though.
    Aren't many better CDM's in the league tbf.

Also, could I just make a point of saying how impressive Arteta was when he came on. Lots of people hating on him and Flam but neither has done too much wrong tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Aren't many better CDM's in the league tbf.

Also, could I just make a point of saying how impressive Arteta was when he came on. Lots of people hating on him and Flam but neither has done too much wrong tbh
    Against the bigger teams they haven't done much right either. We even looked lacklustre last season against the likes of, dare I say it... Spurs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.x.Gotze)
    Against the bigger teams they haven't done much right either. We even looked lacklustre last season against the likes of, dare I say it... Spurs.
    But we aren't playing the top 6 every week. I'm a solid believer that Flam and Arteta would get us through any home game against the bottom half.

You can hate Spurs but they came 5th last season, our kryptonite has been the 5-10 places sides, everyone knows that

ReputationRep:
    But internationally when we come up against teams like Juve,Bayern,Barca,Madrid,PSG etc neither Coquelin or Arteta / Flamini would be able to withstand the opposition hence why we get buttplugged most of the time by them and not just talking about one specific area of the pitch. Watch how Pedro goes to United and we get beat 3-1 by them then everyone cries about signings. Wenger should be on the hunt to strengthen two positions if he isn't already imo.

ReputationRep:
    Well, anyone that cries about not signing pedro is a *******? Overrated player that benefitted from been in right place at right time. It's only because of the barca tag that people rave about him. Not superior to navas in any form yet no one moaned about him joining city.

What's the point of loaning zelalem to as pub league? Keeping him at u18 level will be more productive.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting to see whats gonna be happening in the next week. I do hope we buy a CF/Winger and a DM/CM but not holding out any hope.

Had the weirdest dream as well. We were playing utd in a semifinal but not at wembley but at Villa park for some reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atom y humber)
    Well, anyone that cries about not signing pedro is a *******? Overrated player that benefitted from been in right place at right time. It's only because of the barca tag that people rave about him. Not superior to navas in any form yet no one moaned about him joining city.

What's the point of loaning zelalem to as pub league? Keeping him at u18 level will be more productive.
    My point is that Giroud isn't winning us the league next season, yeah we have goals that may come from elsewhere but relying on him upfront next season is just delusional. Same old story every season for us wrt Summer transfers. Anyway we'll see what happens within 12 days, here's me hoping we just clinch Benzema or Lewandowski as unlikely as they are to come :moon:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefano93)
    My point is that Giroud isn't winning us the league next season, yeah we have goals that may come from elsewhere but relying on him upfront next season is just delusional. Same old story every season for us wrt Summer transfers. Anyway we'll see what happens within 12 days, here's me hoping we just clinch Benzema or Lewandowski as unlikely as they are to come :moon:.
    I agree. People are deluded if they think Giroud will win is the title. He simply isn't good enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Benzema to Arsenal is spicing up. Let's hope it's true.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Line up for Monday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Line up for Monday?
    Would expect:

Cech
    Bel Kosc Mert Mon
    Coq Santi
    Rambo Ozil Sanchz
    Giroud

Why are all your games on Monday night? Bull**** or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Line up for Monday?
    On the previous previous page right at the bottom

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 8, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.