Report 8 years ago
Hello everybody. Long time, no chat.
assmaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by assmister)
Sex me now. Let's make little ass-babies.
We could drop them and they'd bounce right back up again :love:
.matt
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I feel deceived. Second year Metric/Topological spaces = nice analysis module. Third year topology - not an epsilon in sight! :mad:
assmaster
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just got a MathSoc email, which included fairly entertaining excuses for not doing homework:
1. I accidentally divided by zero and my paper burst into flames.
2. I am still mourning Mandelbrot.
3. I could only get arbitrarily close to my textbook. I couldn’t actually reach it.
4. I have the proof, but there isn’t room to write it in this margin.
5. I have a solar powered calculator and it was cloudy.
I thought the thread might appreciate them...
Simplicity
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by assmaster)
Just got a MathSoc email, which included fairly entertaining excuses for not doing homework:
1. I accidentally divided by zero and my paper burst into flames.
2. I am still mourning Mandelbrot.
3. I could only get arbitrarily close to my textbook. I couldn’t actually reach it.
4. I have the proof, but there isn’t room to write it in this margin.
5. I have a solar powered calculator and it was cloudy.
I thought the thread might appreciate them
1) There wasn't enough room to write it in the margin.
2) I have a solar calculator and it was cloudy.
3) Someone already published it, so I didn't bother to write it up.
4) A four-dimensional dog ate it.
5) Maple Crashed.
6) I had too much pi and got sick.
7) I could only get arbitrarily close to my textbook.
8) It's stuck inside a Klein bottle.
9) I couldn't decide whether i is the square root of -1 or i are the square root of -1.
10) It's Isaac Newton's birthday
11) I found out Pappus isn't my father!
12) I was thinking of imaginary numbers instead.
13) I suffered from a aneurism while trying to think of graphing 5 variable 3d plots.

Maths jokes always suck. Maths stories are okay through, there is a good book. If I could spell I could tell you the book, another word for myth but starts with a and loosely means tale that is folklore. Aprocarchye, something like that.
around
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Apocrypha(l)?
primaverasnap
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Any Bristol freshers done the Calculus homework yet? I can do the L'Hospital question pretty easily but I'm completely stumped on 1(b) and 2. Here's the link to the sheet for anyone else willing to help: http://www.maths.bris.ac.uk/~mayt/MA...ems/sheet4.pdf
Simplicity
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by around)
Apocrypha(l)?
Thats the word.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=d...ed=0CCQQ6AEwAQ

This book is funny as hell. Got a story off Hilbert going up to one of his colleagues and asking what a Hilbert space was. Plus other stuff like that. Personal favourite is the last one of page 3. Plus some stories of trolling.
Hedgeman49
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by primaverasnap)
Any Bristol freshers done the Calculus homework yet? I can do the L'Hospital question pretty easily but I'm completely stumped on 1(b) and 2. Here's the link to the sheet for anyone else willing to help: http://www.maths.bris.ac.uk/~mayt/MA...ems/sheet4.pdf
For Q2 you can easily show that the tangent line asked for is y=2.
For the second part, let f(x) = x^3 + 2, and g(x) = 2x^2 + 2. We know they intersect at (2,10). Use the formula

\tan\theta = |\frac{f'(x) - g'(x)}{1 + f'(x)g'(x)}|

Where the value of x is the point of intersection, 2. That should work out nicely to 4/97.
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
For 1 really just bashing out newton-raphson. For the second jsut asking for the angle the tangent at the ends make with the wall.
primaverasnap
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DeanK22)
For 1 really just bashing out newton-raphson. For the second jsut asking for the angle the tangent at the ends make with the wall.
I don't know what I should be using the newton-raphson on though.

I've tried it with f(a) = acosh(L/2a) - a, f'(a) = (-L/2a)sinh(L/2a) - 1 and my answer won't stop increasing, the answer sheet says I should find that a is approx 272 but I go way above that.

Nevermind I'm an idiot
ajay_ganger
Report 8 years ago
Hello. Im at warwick and feel like i aint doing that good. So i wanted to ask if you do poorly/average in assignments can you still get over 70% in first year?

Thanks
IrrationalNumber
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ajay_ganger)
Hello. Im at warwick and feel like i aint doing that good. So i wanted to ask if you do poorly/average in assignments can you still get over 70% in first year?

Thanks
Yes, but you need to work a lot harder if you're in that position. Many questions on the exams will be similar to assignment questions, many are harder. If you're aiming for over 70 you probably need to be able to at least do the assignment questions.

If it's analysis that is making you feel like you're doing badly, don't worry too much, just practice practice practice. Everyone finds it hard at first.
boromir9111
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh you maths geniuses, be a star and guide me here with this problem I have, please!!!!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7#post28463307

thanks
SimonM
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Pheylan)
this reminds me of something i was thinking about before. how can you tell if you're good at maths? i don't mean specifically at uni, just in general. about half a year ago i thought i was relatively decent, all things considered. but i have no idea anymore (probably because of TSR).
Establish a benchmark for what you consider good. Compare yourself to that benchmark.

The benchmark you choose will basically be personal, so really there isn't an objective way to do this.
ajay_ganger
Report 8 years ago
Yeh basically analysis. Im currently getting 50 60% in analysis, vectors i got 65% and DE im doing good. But i feel my marks for analysis and vectors have put me at a major disadvantage in getting 70% for first year.
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
tsr is not a wise way to compare ability - you are not doing the same questions and the questions usually need more advanced tools than A level or nothing more than being more mature.

You woun't get either of them from working on tsr.
IrrationalNumber
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeh basically analysis. Im currently getting 50 60% in analysis, vectors i got 65% and DE im doing good. But i feel my marks for analysis and vectors have put me at a major disadvantage in getting 70% for first year.
Keep practising at it. Don't forget though that even if you don't get 70% this year, the first year doesn't count for much and in the next two years you can pick modules (which allows you to pick some non maths modules)
ziedj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's just a case of practise, almost everyone I've spoken to finds it really hard. Don't guage yourself against TSR.

The Vectors test threw a lot of people off by making the questions way more involved than in previous years, so I wouldn't worry too much. That said, get yourself a good analysis textbook and go over it in your spare time. I know the blue "Hart's Guide 2 Analysis" is supposed to be super crap, but I found it helpful purely for the sake of seeing proofs done and "getting" the structure of an analysis proof. I'm returning my Spivak Calculus to the library tomorrow so there's definitely a copy of that spare if you go tomorrow.
Raiden10
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Simplicity)
1) There wasn't enough room to write it in the margin.
2) I have a solar calculator and it was cloudy.
3) Someone already published it, so I didn't bother to write it up.
4) A four-dimensional dog ate it.
5) Maple Crashed.
6) I had too much pi and got sick.
7) I could only get arbitrarily close to my textbook.
8) It's stuck inside a Klein bottle.
9) I couldn't decide whether i is the square root of -1 or i are the square root of -1.
10) It's Isaac Newton's birthday
11) I found out Pappus isn't my father!
12) I was thinking of imaginary numbers instead.
13) I suffered from a aneurism while trying to think of graphing 5 variable 3d plots.

Maths jokes always suck. Maths stories are okay through, there is a good book. If I could spell I could tell you the book, another word for myth but starts with a and loosely means tale that is folklore. Aprocarchye, something like that.
How about:

"I lost all generality"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (219)
39.46%
No - but I will (38)
6.85%
No - I don't want to (37)
6.67%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (261)
47.03%

Watched Threads