Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    Cost of getting the train from Exeter to Nottingham, with a railcard, booked one week in advance: £60.

Cost of getting the megabus to Birmingham then the train to Nottingham: £27.

The train people are ****ing pirates.
    Well go by Bus then.

(Original post by Kinkerz)
    Ah, different places do PBL differently. We don't really do the whole everyone takes an individual objective and presents findings to the group method; we do the everyone does all the objectives and we come back and discuss results, highlighting any areas of confusion thing. I don't consider myself to rely on others to find information.

I prefer tutorials too, I just really don't like lectures.

ey
    Fair enough.
    I like lectures. Good nap time. But if the lectures is good then they are a great way to learn,

ReputationRep:
    Im being very philosophical of late but i just realised how great my A levels were (3C) theres people getting all these A* at A level but in the paper in my old school 12% of people got one grade a - b at A level which is the best result they have ever had.

I know im at medical school already and nearly finished but makes me wonder especially with the fees rise and increased grades requirement is going to really restrict so many people where i came from. Puts things into reality.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    Im being very philosophical of late but i just realised how great my A levels were (3C) theres people getting all these A* at A level but in the paper in my old school 12% of people got one grade a - b at A level which is the best result they have ever had.

I know im at medical school already and nearly finished but makes me wonder especially with the fees rise and increased grades requirement is going to really restrict so many people where i came from. Puts things into reality.
    It does make it much more difficult to even get an interview. But if you want it enough and re-apply. Its possible.

ReputationRep:
    This thread doesn't contain nearly enough pirate metal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carcinoma)
    It does make it much more difficult to even get an interview. But if you want it enough and re-apply. Its possible.

Lol if you mean me its a bit late for applying!
    Im a fifth/final year medical student.

I just meant for school leavers now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    asJhkjdhaekju
    Bit of a random question - do you know if the course has recently changed at Imperial? By recently, I mean in the last 6/7 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    Bit of a random question - do you know if the course has recently changed at Imperial? By recently, I mean in the last 6/7 years?
    Bits of it change every year is seems. They have removed several lectures and they switched some of the placements round in 5/6th year to make 5th year more bearable. Oh and a few years ago pbl exam began to count for somthing as opposed to from what I know being ignored provided you wern't awful. Why?

ReputationRep:
    Bits of it change every year is seems. They have removed several lectures and they switched some of the placements round in 5/6th year to make 5th year more bearable. Oh and a few years ago pbl exam began to count for somthing as opposed to from what I know being ignored provided you wern't awful. Why?
    Nothing exciting really. I was just speaking to my sister and the things she mentions at times about the course seem different to the things I read on here from you and the other medics there. We were just having a random convo a little while earlier thats why. She remembers the hell-ish 5 year though and 2nd year - apparently you had (possibly still have?) like 2/3 weeks off in 5th year and practically nothing for Xmas and Easter....

Ew.
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    Nothing exciting really. I was just speaking to my sister and the things she mentions at times about the course seem different to the things I read on here from you and the other medics there. We were just having a random convo a little while earlier thats why. She remembers the hell-ish 5 year though and 2nd year - apparently you had (possibly still have?) like 2/3 weeks off in 5th year and practically nothing for Xmas and Easter....

Ew.
    I see.

Yeah. Easter holiday. The easter weekend.

Seriously.

ReputationRep:
    I see.

Seriously.

Yeah, erm, you enjoy that one mate.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    Lol if you mean me its a bit late for applying!
    Im a fifth/final year medical student.

I just meant for school leavers now.
    No I mean for school leavers, from poor performing schools.

ReputationRep:
    Changes to the course seem quite fluid tbh, but things have definitely piped down since the old (well, new) days. For example there used to be a stats exam; we sat a PBL exam in first year that I gather they're now scrapping; 5th year is not (quite) as filthy, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I see.

Seriously.

Tell me about it. I'm going from ~2 months to basically full time job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    But megabus is also ridiculously cheap. It's £1 from Norwich to London.

I haven't tried it out yet, bearing in mind the train home costs me ~£12 each way :dontknow:
    Yeah the cheap megabus is a lifesaver! £1 from Norwich is an awesome deal, jealous! They just started going all the way to swansea a couple of months ago for £6 which is still a great deal

pluss I've just got my *free* copy of Rage HQ :coma: on my ipod to keep me entertained!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tech)
    Yeah the cheap megabus is a lifesaver! £1 from Norwich is an awesome deal, jealous! They just started going all the way to swansea a couple of months ago for £6 which is still a great deal

pluss I've just got my *free* copy of Rage HQ :coma: on my ipod to keep me entertained!
    Is it more cramped than a National Rail coach?

I'm tempted to try it, but I don't want to be squished the whole way home :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Is it more cramped than a National Rail coach?

I'm tempted to try it, but I don't want to be squished the whole way home :p:
    It is a bit more cramped, and the seats are less comfy if there's someone sitting next to you, it can be a bit of a squeeze depending on the person

but I guess that's reflected in the price! If you're only doing the journey once every few months it's probably worth splashing out and going on the train... I've just been up and down so much the last few months I can't afford it. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Back from camping in Wales, feels weird to be back in the world of computers and internet people! Great holiday indeed, lots of rain though so pretty standard on that front.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    Back from camping in Wales, feels weird to be back in the world of computers and internet people! Great holiday indeed, lots of rain though so pretty standard on that front.
    Dont even get me strated on rain.

But with the right people that must have been a pretty live and funny break.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carcinoma)
    Dont even get me strated on rain.

But with the right people that must have been a pretty live and funny break.
    A very chilled out break it was, with the family and the girlfriend. Is an annual tradition to lounge around pembrokeshire for a fortnight, feel very restored indeed.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    A very chilled out break it was, with the family and the girlfriend. Is an annual tradition to lounge around pembrokeshire for a fortnight, feel very restored indeed.
    Thats the kind of break I need.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.