ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Bude8)
    So you're doing IB? Awesome, another cool person around! :five:
    Wooohooo!!! :woo: :woo:

What subjects are you taking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    HOLD ON, did you just call me a douchebag? I'm american-nigerian-british, you sir are the douchebag. It's called wanting make an impact on the world, being motivated and competitve - something you aren't going to see a lot of. The vast majority of people who go to oxbridge go because of their grades, not achievements.

Seriously? Have you been to the U.S? Newsflash, I lived there. There are a lot more places to find models and bottles. It depends what kind scene you want, the south is very fun - especially Atlanta and Dallas. The west coast? Miami? Charlotte? Even flamin' Chicago. You, my friend, have london.

NO, I mean I deciphered their direct emails by using the email framework of their firms. Pretty good, I'm waiting for some proposals with alumni. i've raised £3,000 so far - basically in a week.
    Passion! I love it! Fight fo yo country son!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jina)
    Lolol my bad. Lemme do that just now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahem, you're a little overdue on a PM. Do you mind explaining yourself :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Ahem, you're a little overdue on a PM. Do you mind explaining yourself :mad:

I am ashamed.

Seriously.

I've been thinking about it all week. Isn't that punishment enough. I will make no more promises... And shall surprise you perhaps (one day) by going through my mail and replying to it. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jina)

I am ashamed.

Seriously.

I've been thinking about it all week. Isn't that punishment enough. I will make no more promises... And shall surprise you perhaps (one day) by going through my mail and replying to it. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fair enough, I don't really mind. I was just pulling your strings. Exams are more important than a PM, it can wait. Good luck!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    HOLD ON, did you just call me a douchebag? I'm american-nigerian-british, you sir are the douchebag. It's called wanting make an impact on the world, being motivated and competitve - something you aren't going to see a lot of. The vast majority of people who go to oxbridge go because of their grades, not achievements.

Seriously? Have you been to the U.S? Newsflash, I lived there. There are a lot more places to find models and bottles. It depends what kind scene you want, the south is very fun - especially Atlanta and Dallas. The west coast? Miami? Charlotte? Even flamin' Chicago. You, my friend, have london.

NO, I mean I deciphered their direct emails by using the email framework of their firms. Pretty good, I'm waiting for some proposals with alumni. i've raised £3,000 so far - basically in a week.
    NO I did not call all Americans douchebags...If you read my post again, I'm simply saying they many of them act like the world should bow underneath their feet whilst they're in undergrad.

As for the academics vs go-getters comparison, that's likely true. Seeing as you want to work in IBD, the American way of Uni is probably great for you. Cambridge on the other hand, is probably better for me. I don't expect Quants and Quant traders to be wanting to make an impact on the world. Just an impact on their bonus.

Yes, I have been to the US. I've been to Massachusetts, New York, Philadelphia for several weeks although admittedly, I haven't been to the West and the South. Like you said, it'll depend on what sort of scene you're after, but London certainly isn't devoid of Bottles and Models...

Ah, nice going! How long do you have left to raise your funds?

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, I don't really mind. I was just pulling your strings. Exams are more important than a PM, it can wait. Good luck!
    I've had my strings pulled a lot today. I'm loving it. -_-

Haha thank you for understanding! My respect for you has gone up a notch. Merci!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Aurorae)
    NO I did not call all Americans douchebags...If you read my post again, I'm simply saying they many of them act like the world should bow underneath their feet whilst they're in undergrad.

That's likely true. Seeing as you want to work in IBD, the American way of Uni is probably great for you. Cambridge on the other hand, is probably better for me. I don't expect Quants and Quant traders to be wanting to make an impact on the world. Just an impact on their bonus.

Yes, I have been to the US. I've been to Massachusetts, New York, Philadelphia for several weeks although admittedly, I haven't been to the West and the South. Like you said, it'll depend on what sort of scene you're after, but London certainly isn't devoid of Bottles and Models...

Ah, nice going! How long do you have left to raise your funds?
    It is true that you will find a larger percentage of these "douches" you speak of at the top american universities. But, it's no different at Oxbridge and the London Unis, they have a different type of douche: the public school, mommy/daddy's girl/boy type of douche. Also, I would like to add that if you actually TALK TO THE STUDENTS at these colleges, most are down to earth and are in no way "douchey". I still don't see how you've changed heart over a mere day of thinking about this. Your views that you have used to convince yourself are seemingly baseless; what I'm saying is: take a trip to some campuses and speak with british students there. They will most likely be having a blast.

Don't take any of this to heart, I am simply curious to how you have changed your mind that quickly

You've only sampled a minute region of a country that spans 4 time zones of course you'll have some presumptions - that generally won't be true until you experience these other places for yourself.

I have until the last week of July, I'm pretty confident I can do it. Hopefully one of the CEOs (who is an alumni) can help me out.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    It is true that you will find a larger percentage of these "douches" you speak of at the top american universities. But, it's no different at Oxbridge and the London Unis, they have a different type of douche: the public school, mommy/daddy's girl/boy type of douche. Also, I would like to add that if you actually TALK TO THE STUDENTS at these colleges, most are down to earth and are in no way "douchey". I still don't see how you've changed heart over a mere day of thinking about this. Your views that you have used to convince yourself are seemingly baseless; what I'm saying is: take a trip to some campuses and speak with british students there. They will most likely be having a blast.

Don't take any of this to heart, I am simply curious to how you have changed your mind that quickly

You've only sampled a minute region of a country that spans 4 time zones of course you'll have some presumptions - that generally won't be true until you experience these other places for yourself.

I have until the last week of July, I'm pretty confident I can do it. Hopefully one of the CEOs (who is an alumni) can help me out.
    I certainly don't believe that Oxbridge and the London Unis are devoid of douches, but as you say, Cambridge are academic. There is much more focus on learning the subject to the best of your ability, and whilst this wont necessarily mean everyone will be friendly, down to earth etc., it shrinks to a certain extent the likelihood of the traits which make someone douchey affecting more than a few people.

No worries, this is just a (slightly firey) discussion here. I have a few other reasons why I changed my mind to Cambridge, and in reality, douchebaggery was a smaller one. I'd list them now but it would take too long. I'll send a pm or something tommorow morning.

Well it certainly sounds like you're doing better than the average fundraiser. Did the oil companies respond?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello...
    I'm new here and don't really want to read through 269 pages to understand what's going on here.
    So anyone want to explain?

I hope you don't bite.

ReputationRep:

I personally prefer the kind of people you meet at Oxbridge / UK top unis, but each to his own I guess :dontknow:

Hah! Most of their so-called "ambition" is just chasing after money. Academics make a far bigger impact on the world than most bankers ever will.

I think you're underestimating the number of those kind of people at Oxbridge too, there's certainly no lack of them there, I assure you (though definitely not on the level of LSE).

Are you trying to say that grades are not achievements? Getting a 1,1 in STEP II and III is most definitely a achievement as well, something I highly doubt most prospective maths majors at American top unis would be able to do. I could just as easily turn it around and say "the vast majority of people who go to Ivies go because of their extracurriculars, not achievements".

That's pretty good in a week, how much do you need to raise overall?

ReputationRep:
    Wooohooo!!! :woo: :woo:

What subjects are you taking?
    HL Maths
    HL Physics
    HL Chemistry
    SL Latin
    SL English Literature
    SL Economics

you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LettuceSleep)
    Hello...
    I'm new here and don't really want to read through 269 pages to understand what's going on here.
    So anyone want to explain?

I hope you don't bite.
    We talk a lot, I often use the phrase "we're chatty" - Hence 269 pages. We talk about Pretty much anything to do with year 11.

ReputationRep:
    Study Leave feels really weird. This is the first day of term-time since we left where I haven't been in school for revision classes most of the day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattFletcher)
    Study Leave feels really weird. This is the first day of term-time since we left where I haven't been in school for revision classes most of the day
    It does feel weird... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattFletcher)
    Study leave = early summer holiday but you have to go for the occasional GCSE

ReputationRep:
    damn sexy bird

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Study leave = early summer holiday but you have to go for the occasional GCSE
    Study leave = 'wait I don't know any of this!'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)

:eek:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.