Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It's interesting how Cox's death is subtly being used to support remain, the fact that the accused is almost certainly a brexiteer is being used by most of the media with the whole "not all people voting to leave are bad BUT..."
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Yes, I understand that but there has to be a limit on what's reasonable. Say only ~500,000 turned up, would that be enough? Or even if only a single person voted.
    The referendum has been advertised a lot, if people cannot be bothered to vote, their opinions should be ignored, the referendum will be conducted knowing the people who chose to vote are the people who have strong opinions: ignoring a referendum because people who do not care enough choose not to vote goes against democracy.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    The referendum has been advertised a lot, if people cannot be bothered to vote, their opinions should be ignored, the referendum will be conducted knowing the people who chose to vote are the people who have strong opinions: ignoring a referendum because people who do not care enough choose not to vote goes against democracy.
    I'd say it would be stupid to say 35% turn out for the referendum okay?
    Leave wins by 52-48 so 18.2% vote to leave. But most of the MPs belive that staying is right. So I would argue that it would only be right to let the MP's decide whether we stay in or out due to the low turn out. Plus labour MP's were elected on a mandate to stay in the EU... So you could then argue that at least 20% should vote to leave to overturn labours mandate.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    As someone that is not yet old enough to vote, it would infuriate me if a bit of bad weather stopped people voting.

I expect a 60%+ turnout at the very least tbh. It's all we've been talking about for the last few months

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    I'd say it would be stupid to say 35% turn out for the referendum okay?
    Leave wins by 52-48 so 18.2% vote to leave. But most of the MPs belive that staying is right. So I would argue that it would only be right to let the MP's decide whether we stay in or out due to the low turn out. Plus labour MP's were elected on a mandate to stay in the EU... So you could then argue that at least 20% should vote to leave to overturn labours mandate.
    I do not believe there is an individual in the country with a fraction of intelligence who do not know there is a referendum on EU membership. The people who choose not to vote should have their vote interpreted as an abstention, to argue MPs should decide the result of a referendum when there is a low turnout is absurd. MPs were not elected on their EU stance but wider issues, for example, polls suggest most Conservative supporters want to leave the EU but most Tory MPs do not, putting the decision to MPs will see the parties whip MPs to give the result the leaders want to see.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I do not believe there is an individual in the country with a fraction of intelligence who do not know there is a referendum on EU membership. The people who choose not to vote should have their vote interpreted as an abstention, to argue MPs should decide the result of a referendum when there is a low turnout is absurd. MPs were not elected on their EU stance but wider issues, for example, polls suggest most Conservative supporters want to leave the EU but most Tory MPs do not, putting the decision to MPs will see the parties whip MPs to give the result the leaders want to see.
    We elect MP's to represent us, if we want our veiws always represented we should be a direct democracy but that isn't a good idea because most people vote or make decisions for stupid reasons.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Sounds like a white nationalist group is related with Cox's Murder and parliament is being being recalled on Monday to pay respect and to discuss security of MPs
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think Cameron , Corbyn , Benn and Bercow could of worn black ties when laying flowers .... rather than blue and red
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I should say my analysis assumes that dk will break for remain by a margin of 2 to 1. Bookies could either be going with the close polls or assuming a larger break.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    I think Cameron , Corbyn , Benn and Bercow could of worn black ties when laying flowers .... rather than blue and red
    I've always known it to be those who are in mourning wear black ( ties ); those who are simply paying respects don't.

ReputationRep:
    So far several parties have said they will not contest the by-election which will follow Jo Cox.s death. Different from when the last MP was murdered (Ian Gow, by the IRA) when they did, and indeed the seat changed hands.

Other than Ian Gow and Airey neave, both murdered by the IRA, I am not sure when an MP was last murdered outside active military service or bombing in wartime. I assume there have been some since Spencer Percival was killed in 1812- does anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    I've always known it to be those who are in mourning wear black ( ties ); those who are simply paying respects don't.
    Regardless of whethere it is the correct thing to do, it seems a detail not to be too worried about.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Regardless of whethere it is the correct thing to do, it seems a detail not to be too worried about.
    Oh no, I completely agree with you.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Oh hey, nice new usergroup I seem to have acquired.

Don't mind me, I've only got a few days anyway.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by iEthan)

What are you doing here?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Andy98)
    What are you doing here?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same as you, I'd expect!
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Same as you, I'd expect!
    I mean what party you tit

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh **** :rofl: long day. Liberals :ninja: — proxying for THB. :ninja:
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer

Welcome to the gang! Next you'll be a minister :lol:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Almost all the ST members who join a party are with the Liberals

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.