Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Nixon Court Vs Opal Court

Any reviews for both? Which is better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jess_m94)
    Okay guys, this is probably a really stupid question, but in this booklet i got from the open day, the catered halls are only about £500 more expensive than self-catered. So does this price include the breakfast and dinner you get for the whole year, or do you still have to pay separately for these meals?

thanks guys!
    It includes both but the general consensus is that no one makes it to breakfast. Reviews on the catered food itself vary between hall - Beaumont is said to be the last word in catering inadequacy but not having tried any of the catered food I can't really comment
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TheFatController)
    It includes both but the general consensus is that no one makes it to breakfast. Reviews on the catered food itself vary between hall - Beaumont is said to be the last word in catering inadequacy but not having tried any of the catered food I can't really comment
    Thank you! it just seems so cheap!

Hahaha i'll remember that ;D

Ewww, doesn't sound that great...although living off of 12p noodles doesn't sound that appealing either (something i have heard!)

ReputationRep:
    living off of 12p noodles doesn't sound that appealing either (something i have heard!)
    It really doesn't which is why I splashed out and lived off branded Pot Noodles for the second half of my first year
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TheFatController)
    It really doesn't which is why I splashed out and lived off branded Pot Noodles for the second half of my first year
    i think my mum will actually force me to go catered, as she doesnt believe that i wont spend all year eating pizza
    now i can show her that there are worse things to eat
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Okay guys, this is probably a really stupid question, but in this booklet i got from the open day, the catered halls are only about £500 more expensive than self-catered. So does this price include the breakfast and dinner you get for the whole year, or do you still have to pay separately for these meals?

thanks guys!
    It's because you don't pay rent over Xmas and Ester like self catered do.

Beaumont food isn't that bad either, though admittedly not exactly haute cuisine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    It's because you don't pay rent over Xmas and Ester like self catered do.

Beaumont food isn't that bad either, though admittedly not exactly haute cuisine!

x
    You don't pay rent over Christmas and Easter but remember you do have to move everything back out and then back into your room again over the holidays.

ReputationRep:
    catered meals in beaumont/digby isnt that bad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inspiration91)
    When are people moving into Nixon Court? What's the earliest we can move in?
    Moving in dates are 29/30 September - you'll be given one of the two dates closer to the time

ReputationRep:
    I've been allocated a room in Spinneys House in Jofo!

Does anyone know what it's like?
    How many people are there to a kitchen and bathroom, are they big or small?
    Also is there a freezer in the kitchen?

I'm quite excited

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whotosee)
    I've been allocated a room in Spinneys House in Jofo!

Does anyone know what it's like?
    How many people are there to a kitchen and bathroom, are they big or small?
    Also is there a freezer in the kitchen?

I'm quite excited
    I can't check from the online system:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ray_charlene)
    I can't check from the online system:mad:
    Oh no Is the page not loading? What course are you doing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whotosee)
    Oh no Is the page not loading? What course are you doing
    It says
    ''We are currently experiencing a high volume of users on our online accommodation system.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.''
    I'm so nervous because my friend has already been given a room in Opal (Yes my first choice is Opal as well )
    I'm doing Law

ReputationRep:
    Any one else in Mary Gee Houses? I'm in block M, ground floor, room 4!

ReputationRep:
    I am. Block KK however.

ReputationRep:
    If I reject an offer of accommodation on the ground of it being unsuitable, will they generally offer a new place based off of my last application or do I have to get in touch with them?
    ... I'm kind of new to this whole thing but I really don't want to pay for catered. I'm a terribly picky eater.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 88 movement)
    I am. Block KK however.
    Ahhh we will be neighbours at least!

(Original post by kleptomaniac)
    If I reject an offer of accommodation on the ground of it being unsuitable, will they generally offer a new place based off of my last application or do I have to get in touch with them?
    ... I'm kind of new to this whole thing but I really don't want to pay for catered. I'm a terribly picky eater.
    I called them for a similar reason , I'm vegan and love to cook so had a bit of a panic when they put me in catered! There's no self catered in Oadby (well that's what they told me but dont quote me on it !), but there were self catered in Mary Gee and the Grange =]

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm having second thoughts about accomodation and i wondered if someone could help me out..

I'm going for catered firstly.. i like the idea of beaumont blocks where there are 10 up and 10 down, i like the idea that you can sort of have a comfort zone in the first couple of days with your blockmates, and maybe even find your best friends within your block- i'm pretty outgoing and friendly so i'd imagine i'd branch out eventually but the idea of having that comfort zone is nice..

Thing is i've actually got an offer for GMS (lasdun catered) and i'm thinking of switching just because i like what i've heard from people that have lived in beaumont. Has anyone got any advice as to why i should stick with GMS? are my concerns unfounded, is GMS similar anyway?

plus i'm fairly outgoing but i hate the idea of being stuck with a bunch of "lads", which is why i'm being put off a bit from the stories i've heard people tell about GMS.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Tridentus)
    Hey, I'm having second thoughts about accomodation and i wondered if someone could help me out..

I'm going for catered firstly.. i like the idea of beaumont blocks where there are 10 up and 10 down, i like the idea that you can sort of have a comfort zone in the first couple of days with your blockmates, and maybe even find your best friends within your block- i'm pretty outgoing and friendly so i'd imagine i'd branch out eventually but the idea of having that comfort zone is nice..

Thing is i've actually got an offer for GMS (lasdun catered) and i'm thinking of switching just because i like what i've heard from people that have lived in beaumont. Has anyone got any advice as to why i should stick with GMS? are my concerns unfounded, is GMS similar anyway?

plus i'm fairly outgoing but i hate the idea of being stuck with a bunch of "lads", which is why i'm being put off a bit from the stories i've heard people tell about GMS.
    You will get 'lads' wherever you go, particularly now they no longer ask for preference of quieter or louder, no one controls where the rugby boys are

Which part of GMS are you in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    You will get 'lads' wherever you go, particularly now they no longer ask for preference of quieter or louder, no one controls where the rugby boys are

Which part of GMS are you in?
    thanks for the prompt reply..

lasdun FX bottom floor? to tell the truth i only visited beaumont on my open day, haven't got a clue why i put GMS first pick.

do you know how many people to a block and how the blocks end up working in GMS? i just know full well that a couple of weeks in i'll be loving partying with randoms, etc. but just for that first couple of days where the nerves are still there i'd rather have a group of people i can huddle for safety with

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.