Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    play.com have a load of kindle cases. Housemate has one of the faux leather ones which she got with a free light for about £11 and the silicone ones are even cheaper (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ian80)
    Hi, I was wondering which one you decided to get in the end?

Also, from what I've read, you can only boring books from the library on a kobo, and not a kindle in the UK?
    I haven't decided yet! I read that the kindle fire was going to be released this month so I was going to see what that was like but I haven't heard anything yet lol. I'm not sure about borrowing library books on a kindle

ReputationRep:
    I don't know whether you've already decided what to get but i thought I'd share my opinion. I have a Kindle keyboard but I work at Whsmith and they are all really into selling the Kobo at the minute, so I have experience of demonstrating that as well.

Honestly I would recommend the Kindle. The Kobo, in my opinion, looks and feels cheap. The touch screen seems to be quite slow and the contrast is not that great which makes it little dull to read. However it is lighter than my Kindle Keyboard, but both versions of the Kobo are heavier than the new Kindle.

If you were to go for the Kobo you should get the touch rather than the wireless. The battery life on the touch is about a month whilst on the wireless is only 10 days. The touch is also smaller, lighter and has the 4 different coloured quilted backs.

As i said though, I think the Kindle is a better option, the screen is much clearer and easier to read. The build quality feels much better on the Kindle and ,to me, it seems much easier to use.

Hope this helps a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanadroJ)
    The simplest way is to search on google for something like "<book name> free pdf download", or replace 'pdf' with 'mobi' or 'epub'

Then use a program called 'Calibre' to convert them and put them on the Kindle

Or a better way is to go on torrent websites

You can find loads of guides to help you on google

EDIT: Just had a look at some of the guides and found an even easier way. Search on google for ""<book name>" filetype:mobi" (with quotes around the book name). Not that I recommend breaking the law
    Or better yet, venture over to demonoid and download thousands of free ebooks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauraaaa.xo)
    I haven't decided yet! I read that the kindle fire was going to be released this month so I was going to see what that was like but I haven't heard anything yet lol. I'm not sure about borrowing library books on a kindle
    I went with the kindle in the end. I want e-ink display so didn't want the fire and didn't want to wait around for the touch. Plus I think I'll prefer actually having buttons to turn the pages.

It comes in the morning

Although I should wait until after my exam on friday to play with it

ReputationRep:
    I never read the thread, but don't get an ebook. I've written an entire speech on why you should read books, not ebooks. Don't, don't, don't.
    Just don't, or I might thwack you over the head with a nice 900 page hardback.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeafeningSilence)
    I never read the thread, but don't get an ebook. I've written an entire speech on why you should read books, not ebooks. Don't, don't, don't.
    Elaborate?

From the posts on this thread it seems to be facilitating reading which can't be much of a problem :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    There is a time and a place for both, I believe. I still buy books as well as ebooks. I read both too. I would never want my library to consist of just my Kindle. I love my books, love being surrounded with them and looking along my shelves as to what to read next. I like writing in the front when and where I got them. I also love my kindle. I love being able to slip it into my bag on a long journey and not have to worry about being weighed down my a heavy book. I love the fact that my Granny can enjoy reading again because she can make the print really big. I love how I can have access to loads of books on the go.

You mention a 900 page hardback. Thats pretty heavy to take onto the bus for the daily commute. But on an Kindle, it weighs next to nothing. Thus I would be more inclined to read it.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't like Kindles but my dad and sister got them for Christmas and I want one loads now, they're amazing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robo donkey)
    I didn't like Kindles but my dad and sister got them for Christmas and I want one loads now, they're amazing
    Haha I was the same when we got my dad one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QI Elf)
    There is a time and a place for both, I believe. I still buy books as well as ebooks. I read both too. I would never want my library to consist of just my Kindle. I love my books, love being surrounded with them and looking along my shelves as to what to read next. I like writing in the front when and where I got them. I also love my kindle. I love being able to slip it into my bag on a long journey and not have to worry about being weighed down my a heavy book. I love the fact that my Granny can enjoy reading again because she can make the print really big. I love how I can have access to loads of books on the go.

You mention a 900 page hardback. Thats pretty heavy to take onto the bus for the daily commute. But on an Kindle, it weighs next to nothing. Thus I would be more inclined to read it.
    I don't generally read while travelling, I get really sick, and I'm perfectly happy with my Ipod. And if I were to read while travelling, it wouldn't be likely that I'd take said 900 page hardback with me. To be honest, I think Ebooks aren't that bad. But I'm trying to get into the mindset that they are the devil's curse, because the more I believe it, the better the speech looks.

ReputationRep:
    Simple question:

I like reading

Is it worth buying??

ReputationRep:
    I don't generally read while travelling, I get really sick, and I'm perfectly happy with my Ipod. And if I were to read while travelling, it wouldn't be likely that I'd take said 900 page hardback with me. To be honest, I think Ebooks aren't that bad. But I'm trying to get into the mindset that they are the devil's curse, because the more I believe it, the better the speech looks.
    Ok, fair enough. My mum can't read when moving (for instance in a car etc) either. But perhaps the person who you told to 'just don't' buy one is fine reading whilst travelling. Perhaps there is a 900 page book that they would quite like to read on the bus home from scholl but don't want it to give them a hernia. For you, ok, don't buy one, but let other people decide for themselves. Telling them just not to without really saying why isn't going to help anyone. Frankly, I find the idea of you trying to convince yourself that ebooks are the devil is a little silly. You embrace your ipod wth relish, as I do with mine, but I remember a time when on holiday I took loads of cassette tapes on holiday with me to listen to. Now I just have my ipod. But I still listen to cds and the radio at home. Same with ebooks really.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how you like reading. I wanted to get one because I love reading, but I have very little space to keep books at the moment, so having them digitally instead made a lot of sense. Plus it's easier to download books than to go out and get them, and there is a whole library of ebook versions of classics avaliable for free from the Gutenberg project. I admit that it is different than an ordinary book, but I'm not too bothered by that.

ReputationRep:
    I'd highly recommend it. I love books and I love reading and was strictly against electronic books until my husband got a Kindle. There's no glare, it's comfortable to hold, smaller than most books, has a battery that lasts for ages, you can never lose your page, you can get hundreds of free/99p books that are worth reading... I could go on.
    I do read for a few hours every day, which is why I knew it was worth me buying one as I go through around 8-10 books a month.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's worth buying.

By the way, this topic has been done several times so if you have a look in this section there is tonnes of info on this topic already here.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I got one last year in June. Love it. Get one.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Its brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    YES! I got one today, it's amazing.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with all the other posters, my personal opinion says yes, get one!

The main reasons I love having one is:
    ¬Lots of free books, and plenty more very cheap ones. Including classics so I can slowly get through the list of things I really should have read.

¬Easy bed reading (none of that flip this way and that, Oh no the books too heavy when I'm reading half the pages for my one hand!!!) cause the page buttons are both on both sides

¬Great for having collections/my favourites with me wherever I like, especially since I don't have all my stuff with me at uni at the moment

¬Can read PDFs (eg uni reading) without being on a PC or printing them, thus saving money AND avoiding distraction via FB, TSR etc.

¬Backup- even if something happened to your kindle (which hopefully it never will!) you could still read all those books again on a new kindle/PC/phone

I still love to have paper copies of books I really like, but that doesn't mean Kindles aren't great

xxx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.