Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are there any truly 'bad' universities in the UK? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Urgh. Anyway.

Wolverhampton, the languages department of Wolverhampton anyway, I think how willing to help the lecturers are is hugely important and a fair few of them seemed like they really couldn't care less. Chester may not be high in the league tables, and I know that's life or death to some of you, but the lecturers are so friendly and willing to help that it makes the course so much less stressful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipulledhermione)
    Completey slate the ineptness of a certain department of a certain uni with whom i've had beef with. :yep:
    Was it an English grammar department?

To OP: TVU and Edge Hill, for starters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblyjubbly)
    Neither here nor there. The strength of Oxbridge degrees lie in their intensity/workload, standard of marking/difficulty level and quality of competition; the teaching itself is of almost no consequence.

Oxford doesn't think so.

It sees the tutorial system as one of the jewels in its crown. It costs a fortune to provide. Oxford always portrays every funding cut as a threat to the tutorial system. In reality, Oxford is more likely to sell the Sheldonian than lose the tutorial system.

However the point I was commenting on, was that Oxford dons spent more hours actually teaching than elsewhere. I was simply making the point that whilst that was true, teaching workload evened out between institutions

ReputationRep:
    And what about Bradford Uni?
    Is it really so bad?I am quite concerned as I got an unconditional and hesitate to accept it..any advice?

ReputationRep:
    What course?

ReputationRep:
    psychology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aga83)
    psychology
    Yeah...? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    In the question: are there?

EDIT: If you're going to arbitrarily name a university, you have to justify why it's a truly bad uni. Them's the rules.
    Blackburn University, its one one building, its just a normal college with "university" painted over

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

I shall not name and shame, but give reason why - my friend's mum is a lecturer there and she says it is truly bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)

Anyone knowledgeable in their subject can take an hour long tutorial led by a student's essay with no prep. In any subject with even a minimal level of movement from year to year, lectures will require preparation. So will tutorials if they are being led by the tutor.
    Lecture courses do take a long time to prepare initially, but next to no time to redeliver year on year unless a real change is required. Having delivered a lecture course myself written by someone else I can attest to this.

The "real" staff student ratio at Oxbridge is much lower than at other pre-1992 universities. The published statistics hide the extent to which redbricks and plate glass universities rely on hourly paid staff (not just PhD students). Hourly paid staff do not carry the burdens of either course management or academic support. That is why, although to a much greater extent Oxbridge academics run their universities, they spend far less time on course management and academic support than full time academics in redbricks and plate glass universities. A smallish department in a non-Oxbridge university may have 600 students across 3 years but be managing those with 5-10 full time academics. An Oxbridge college might have 30-40 students in a subject and 2-3 full-time academics and will usually have a senior tutor and chaplain to assist with pastoral issues.
    To be fair there are a large number of other resources at redbrick universities devoted to pastoral care, especially in the first year. As for hourly paid staff outside PhD students, there certainly weren't many in evidence at the redbrick I worked at. Teaching duties not conducted by academics were conducted by PhD students or post-docs almost exclusively. Also, I think this fails to acknowledge that Oxbridge does still have academic departments that are responsible for course content and require management.

Redbrick academics do far more marking than Oxbridge ones.
    I think this is probably something that varies significantly between subject and institution, so I'm not sure that it is possible to make such general statements with any assuredness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)

I think this is probably something that varies significantly between subject and institution, so I'm not sure that it is possible to make such general statements with any assuredness.
    My comments are more relevant to the arts and social sciences and I suspect yours are more relevant to the hard sciences.

My guess, and I am not a scientist, is that the sort of discovery that will significantly alter an undergraduate science lecture course comes along once in a blue moon whereas in economics and law new primary source material is always appearing and new interpretations of are always being written in both history and literature.

Likewise science departments tend to be filled with hot and cold running postdocs whilst the are an awful lot of hourly paid lecturers on the romantic poets doing a bit of teaching in the English faculty, a bit in the extra-mural studies, a bit for the Open University, a few talks in the public library, a bit of freelance editing and a bit of blue badge guiding.

ReputationRep:
    NO!

Some are good in certain courses, which hardly any other uni offers. Others are just good in everything. And it depends on the person, your location, the preference of the campus...

I haven't seen any truly bad university so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wookie42)
    Sounds like you've got a grudge against Cambridge or something weird. Instead of seeing the massive workload as a time for the lecturers to have a jolly, don't you see it as "oh, Cambridge students have a higher workload than other university students, therefore their degree should, in some ways, be better respected".

Besides, where does all this business about the Oxbridge terms being shorter to allow for more research time come from? My sister would complain about the terms being short, but her tutors went home just a few days after she did Anyway, for the sake of argument lets say you're correct and that the reasoning behind the shorter terms is for research etc etc. It still stands that Oxbridge students have to fit more work into less time than other universities. In finals some subjects get two essays a week which I've not heard of anywhere else.

Bit pointless posting this really since you'll just ignore it and maintain your twisted views, but I'm bored.
    I don't have agrudge against ANY university. I have no emotional investment in the subject at all and it's pure debate so far as I am concerned.

I'm just sorry if you are are so blind as to believe that Oxbridge is the source of all things wonderful and couldn't possibly be criticised EVEN though you don't go there and presumably only have one sister at one of those universities who is obviously going to tell you how marvellous everything is because she has fallen for the hype herself.

It's like The Emperor's New Clothes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puddlejumper)
    I don't have agrudge against ANY university. I have no emotional investment in the subject at all and it's pure debate so far as I am concerned.

I'm just sorry if you are are so blind as to believe that Oxbridge is the source of all things wonderful and couldn't possibly be criticised EVEN though you don't go there and presumably only have one sister at one of those universities who is obviously going to tell you how marvellous everything is because she has fallen for the hype herself.

It's like The Emperor's New Clothes.
    My entire post was in response to your comment here:

(Original post by puddlejumper)
    I suppose you could say that if the lecturers were not so hell-bent on their own research interests then the term would not need to be squashed into 8 weeks and the students would have a better experience and less pressure.

I see nothing admirable in students having to fork out vast sums of money to get a second-rate academic experience with unnecessary pressure, in order to fit round their lecturer's other, (main?), interests.
    Its good to criticise things, and perhaps you could respond to my original quote instead of spurting out about how I think Oxbridge is the most amazing thing in the world ever. Maybe you haven't replied to what I said about your above quote because you don't actually know what you're talking about... as I've said before, where the hell is the evidence to suggest your reasoning for shorter terms is correct? Neither of us study there so neither of us can categorically say either way (unless we find something on the internet), however as feeble as it sounds, my sister's experience there for three years must count for more than your made up views based on nothing.

I will never study there in my life so I'm not attached to it, and my sister who has graduated is quite willing to point out the bad things about it - she would even go as far as saying that maybe she would've enjoyed her experience more elsewhere and certainly has no reason to lie to me.. I'm her brother?. Stop thinking I want to marry Oxbridge and start accepting that there may be some possibility that a degree there may be better than at somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    My sister would complain about the terms being short, but her tutors went home just a few days after she did

Went home? I would have thought that many academics at Oxbridge would be living locally just like academics at any other university. I accept that some don't, but then they are usually in charge of research groups elsewhere hence why they don't live locally.

ReputationRep:
    Went home? I would have thought that many academics at Oxbridge would be living locally just like academics at any other university. I accept that some don't, but then they are usually in charge of research groups elsewhere hence why they don't live locally.
    I know one didn't live nearby but I have no idea. They definitely weren't 'in' college though from what I was told though.

ReputationRep:
    I know one didn't live nearby but I have no idea. They definitely weren't 'in' college though from what I was told though.
    Why should they be? They probably only have offices in college that they only use during term time. I don't think that any college as full family accommodation for all its fellows. They will be just going to their offices in their academic departments (i.e. where their research gets done). Certainly my friend who used to be a Cambridge academic only went into college when he had teaching duties or was on high table, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Why should they be? They probably only have offices in college that they only use during term time. I don't think that any college as full family accommodation for all its fellows. They will be just going to their offices in their academic departments (i.e. where their research gets done). Certainly my friend who used to be a Cambridge academic only went into college when he had teaching duties or was on high table, etc.
    I'm not sure if we're quite on the same page here... I originally made the point that I disagreed with the statement that "Oxbridge terms are only shorter because lecturers want to do their research." From what I've heard they aren't even around at the times suggested by puddlejumper. I didn't mean to say that they should be there, rather saying his argument was wrong since they're not there to do this research he mentioned anyway.

ReputationRep:
    DO they need to be physically there to do their research?

is it just me or is this hairsplitting diversion about oxbridge lecturer's terms & conditions sidetracking the thread from it's noble purpose of encouraging uni snobs to make themselves look ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if we're quite on the same page here... I originally made the point that I disagreed with the statement that "Oxbridge terms are only shorter because lecturers want to do their research." From what I've heard they aren't even around at the times suggested by puddlejumper. I didn't mean to say that they should be there, rather saying his argument was wrong since they're not there to do this research he mentioned anyway.
    Right, okay...

Oxford and Cambridge aren't like normal universities in that they are split up into colleges as well as academic departments. Academics tend to have offices in both their academic department and the college where they are a fellow.

Not all college fellows (academics) are resident in college. Many, for obvious reasons (i.e. family), only have an office (study) in the college where they hold tutorials and live in a house somewhere in the town. They will also have an office in their academic department. Therefore, they would have no reason outside term time to utilise their study in college (because it is just for teaching) and will therefore work in their office in their academic department where they can be nearer their PhD students and closer to meetings, etc.

I hope that clearly explains why not being in college doesn't mean that they aren't doing any work. Anyone who knows academics knows that they rarely take holidays at the best of times.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.