Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candide)
    Hmmmm, I reckon I got an A but there was something about that listening which has me worried. I'll see, anyway.

Well hopefully the rest of your essay will be so good they'll forget about it! =)

We write "Benbecula" as that's the island the school is on. Technically the town would really be "Liniclate" but that's essentially a field, two houses, a ruined castle, and our school.
    Wow I just at that place on google maps. It's beautiful, but what jobs does everyone have? Is there a supermarket? Do you basically know everyone for miles around?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Very simple:

- 72% of the accommodation is ensuite and has access to good kitchen facilities
    - We have a lake
    - We have large lawns that you can walk and have picnics on
    -
    We have ducks and geese :woo:
    - We have lots of extracurricular stuff going on and are known for our sports, dramatic society 'Buskins' and our music society
    - We can accommodate you for the whole three/four years
    - We have very nice food at formal hall four times a week
    - Exhibitioners are allowed to wear scholars gowns
    - We have our traditions (e.g. formal hall mallet banging/door slamming, Latin graces) but are not stuffy at all :nah:
    - We're off the tourist trail, so college is mostly students
    - Closest college to Gloucester Green coach station and the railway station

Plus I went there :awesome:
    Wow, you know how to sell a college! But I already have my offer, and it's not from Worcester, so I'm going to pretend I never read your post
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by LtCommanderData)
    Wow, you know how to sell a college! But I already have my offer, and it's not from Worcester, so I'm going to pretend I never read your post
    :console:

(Original post by anyone_can_fly)
    Any specific reasons why Worcester is better than Merton? I'm dithering between the two (and tending towards Merton).
    Merton doesn't have a lake or ducks. Though it's fairly near the river, which has ducks :ninja: Plus their third (and poss second year) accommodation is offsite on an annexe on Holywell Street :yes:

(Original post by dnumberwang)
    Those are good

Do they throw money at you?
    If you're a Blues sports(wo)man, a scholar (academic; instrumental; choral; organ) or an exhibitioner (academic; instrumental) :yes:

Forgot to mention the Oxford Opportunity Bursary. That's throwing money at you. I got £10K that I never have to pay back :eek2:

(Original post by theworldnow)
    College: In love with Jesus!
    :jebus:

(Original post by MeeMee)
    How important/useful is it to go to an open day, is it more important to go to a college open day or to a university one? Since the July ones are fully booked at St. John's (which is where I want to apply) I am thinking about going to the one in September, however I am unsure if it would be of more use to go to the college one or the university one since there is only one in september but two in July where I could go to both. Would you recommend attending one at a college that you don't really intend to apply to?
    I'm pretty sure you can still wander into St John's by yourself: you just won't be given a talk or be shown round on a tour :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missbanana21)
    No, Aberdeen
    that's not 'The North!' =P

that's the north-east...

but I know what you mean about travelling to Oxford etc.

I wanted to go to those 4 july-ish open days but its too expensive to get from here.

I'll be in Glasgow and Edinbrugh in June though.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's really useful to go to an Open Day! I went to the one in Warwick last Week and it was amazing! Before that I was like, 'Well, it's one of my plan Bs' but now it's more of a plan A1! I don't think it matters which college you visit, it will probably be similar introductions and then different college-specific presentations. But I'm just guessing here, I don't have any idea!

(Original post by MeeMee)
    How important/useful is it to go to an open day, is it more important to go to a college open day or to a university one? Since the July ones are fully booked at St. John's (which is where I want to apply) I am thinking about going to the one in September, however I am unsure if it would be of more use to go to the college one or the university one since there is only one in september but two in July where I could go to both. Would you recommend attending one at a college that you don't really intend to apply to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovedubstep)
    Wow I just at that place on google maps. It's beautiful, but what jobs does everyone have? Is there a supermarket? Do you basically know everyone for miles around?
    Lol, it's not the Shire!

Theres more than one supermarket would you believe (and we have electricity too! :P)

Hmmm, I know everyone on my island. Its tiny, about 120 people. Most of them drunk and ignorant but ever so nice...

Hmm, basically you can be a fisherman, be a crofter or work for the council. (its like a Former Soviet Republic out here.)

Although we do have alot of construction firms cos of the number of holiday homes that get put up by those fortunate enough to have gotten free.

(I kid, its a nice enough place, if a little small)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phia7)
    I think it's really useful to go to an Open Day! I went to the one in Warwick last Week and it was amazing! Before that I was like, 'Well, it's one of my plan Bs' but now it's more of a plan A1! I don't think it matters which college you visit, it will probably be similar introductions and then different college-specific presentations. But I'm just guessing here, I don't have any idea!
    What's it like? I couldn't go so I might just wander in at some point and see exactly how isolated it is

ReputationRep:
    But the campus in Warwick is soooo nice! What do you prefer: a nice City or a nice campus? York for example is a really nice city but the actual campus isn't that great! Of course it would be best to have both a wonderful city and an amazing campus, preferably in one place. :rolleyes:
    The atmosphere in Warwick was super. Just saying
    (is it possible to use super as an adjective?! Do you use that??)
    What's it like? I couldn't go so I might just wander in at some point and see exactly how isolated it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phia7)
    But the campus in Warwick is soooo nice! What do you prefer: a nice City or a nice campus? York for example is a really nice city but the actual campus isn't that great! Of course it would be best to have both a wonderful city and an amazing campus, preferably in one place. :rolleyes:
    The atmosphere in Warwick was super. Just saying
    (is it possible to use super as an adjective?! Do you use that??)
    I would prefer a non-campus university in a city, like Manchester, London or Edinburgh

Yes you can use 'super' that way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missbanana21)
    Which Scottish unis?
    My favourites are St Andrew's and Edinburgh but I'd also like to visit Aberdeen and Glasgow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by such_a_lady)
    There's a thread for that
    could you direct me to it please??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OAT)
    could you direct me to it please??
    It's literally the first thread in this forum. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=573746

ReputationRep:
    My favourites are St Andrew's and Edinburgh but I'd also like to visit Aberdeen and Glasgow!
    Yeah, I'm applying to Aberdeen, Edinburgh and St Andrew's too

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I wasn't sure because it sounds so german!!
    Yes you can use 'super' that way

ReputationRep:
    So I signed up for one of the Hertford open days (because that's the other college I'm considering) and it said that I would get a google receipt as a confirmation, all I got was a message on my screen saying thanks or something, would you like to create your own google doc. What exactly is a google receipt (I googled it with now useful results) and does that mean I got a place to stay overnight? I feel so stupid... What a good way to get started applying...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovedubstep)
    Have you taken any exams yet? I do exactly the same subjects as you except chemistry instead of french!
    I did C1 and M1 today. You?
    I think it went well no OH ****TTT moments haha yet!
    And that is how you know you've done well

ReputationRep:
    aaah this is so confusing, i am finding it IMPOSSIBLE to choose a university, can anyone help?

GCSEs: 11A*s
    AS Levels: Biology, Spanish, Italian, English Literature, History

the sort of courses im looking at are history based, however, i recently received the prospectus for st andrews, and their 3 subject based courses seem a better option, does oxford allow you to change courses after the first year (obviously not in a dramatic way)?

i think im a bit too late to try an apply to american universities, as people are already in training for their sats, are there any universities that people know of abroad that are of a high standard?

thaaaaanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hola_im_liv)
    aaah this is so confusing, i am finding it IMPOSSIBLE to choose a university, can anyone help?

GCSEs: 11A*s
    AS Levels: Biology, Spanish, Italian, English Literature, History

the sort of courses im looking at are history based, however, i recently received the prospectus for st andrews, and their 3 subject based courses seem a better option, does oxford allow you to change courses after the first year (obviously not in a dramatic way)?

i think im a bit too late to try an apply to american universities, as people are already in training for their sats, are there any universities that people know of abroad that are of a high standard?

thaaaaanks
    You'd probably be better off asking a current student this, but I think that if you are really unhappy on your course, then yes. However, if you think it's quite a likely thing to happen as you're still very undecided, it might be better to try a Scottish uni (or another with a similar system) as it would be much easier to do so there.

ReputationRep:
    It's literally the first thread in this forum. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=573746
    thanks so much, most people would not have answered on account of my laziness..

seeing your GCSES has completely put me off applying btw

ReputationRep:
    has anyone booked open days? They're all on the 6th/7th and I'm going up with my mum for the 2 days.
    I've booked Worcester but I'm struggling to decide where else to look D:

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.