The Student Room Group

Psychology Applicants (2012 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by Jessicar2
Was was your offer and is it your first choice?

Im actually doing social psychology at Loughborough rather than just psychology :smile:

AAB and nope, its my last choice :/ Is it your first?
Reply 521
Original post by harrietnebula
Hi!
I have a quick question.. I applied to do Psychology at Royal Holloway. I got an offer with 5 days of sending off my application, with the offer of AAB, but my predicted grades are ABD (in psychology, biology and physics, respectively). I don't understand why they would give me an offer that is WAAAAAY above my predicted grades. I'm going to try really hard to get those grades, but I find physics so difficult and I don't know if it's realistic. What are my chances of getting in? Why did they offer me such high grades? :confused:

Aw sweetie. :/ Um I'd say that it would depend very much on what you got.
For example of you got AAC then you may perhaps be okay.
A*AC and you would hopefully be okay because you go up a grade and down again. :smile:

I think it would just depend and on what you got to be honest. Why did they offer you such high grades? They offer everyone the standard offer unless you have exceptional circumstances, so for example had there been a reason you hadn't got the grade in Physics and were predicted the D then they may have changed it to AAC or something. But even then nothing's guaranteed.

I think the argument is it wouldn't be fair if say
Someone else: AS = AAB, Offer AAB, Final Grades: ABB
You: AS = ABD, Offer ABD, Final Grades: ABD
That would mean they got 2 grades higher than you yet they wouldn't have a place and you would.
I mean how would you feel if you got the ABB but they said sorry you didn't get AAB you can't have a space, but one of your friends had got in with ABD?

Please don't think I mean this harshly because I promise you I don't at all I totally understand why you're now panicking, but to get into a certain University EVERYONE has to get the same grades. Unless of course you have exceptional circumstances in which case they do take that into account because it isn't your fault you didn't get the grades.

I feel so bad for you because your school really should have explained the standard offer to you and explained that you WOULD get the standard offer if you didn't have any special circumstances and even than that a lower offer isn't guaranteed. It's really negligent on their part to be honest. :/

But just keep working hard and hopefully you'll get it. Do you have any other offers? :smile: Maybe go for a University with lower grades if you don't think you'll get them. Aim for something a little more realistic. :smile:

- - - - -

Anyway, my school FINALLY sent my form off yesterday so I don't expect any offers before Christmas. :/

But I've applied for:
Warwick
Southampton
Sussex
Royal Holloway
Reading

& have sent the AWARD scheme off to Warwick as I was recommended to do so by them (well the administrations team) because I have exceptional circumstances due to both very ill health for over 7 years as well as family circumstances. :smile:

Feeling pretty nervous now!
Reply 522
Original post by Tay594
AAB and nope, its my last choice :/ Is it your first?

yeah mines the same and its my last too lol :smile: where else have you applied then :smile:
Ahhh okay, I can't work out how to reply but this is @Chelsey :biggrin:

I totally understand what you're saying :smile: I'm not asking to be the exception, if someone does better than me then they deserve the place, but I don't understand why they didn't just reject me instead of setting (what I see as) unachievable grades :frown: It makes no sense to me to offer a grade that is 3 above what I'm predicted, as I'm very unlikely to get that. I don't really understand the system though, do they give offers to more people than there are places? If they don't, I feel bad that I've been given an offer, they could have given it to someone more likely to get the grades.

But oh well, i'll try as hard as I can, I'm just pleased I even got an offer as it's definitely the place I really want to go to. All I can do is try :biggrin: I've also applied for 4 others I liked the look of alot, they're just in less convenient areas as I really want to continue living where I am.
Reply 524
Original post by Ebuwa
International=more money

yeah obviously however idont pay as much as proper internationals
Reply 525
Ahhh okay, I can't work out how to reply but this is @Chelsey :biggrin:

I totally understand what you're saying :smile: I'm not asking to be the exception, if someone does better than me then they deserve the place, but I don't understand why they didn't just reject me instead of setting (what I see as) unachievable grades :frown: It makes no sense to me to offer a grade that is 3 above what I'm predicted, as I'm very unlikely to get that. I don't really understand the system though, do they give offers to more people than there are places? If they don't, I feel bad that I've been given an offer, they could have given it to someone more likely to get the grades.

But oh well, i'll try as hard as I can, I'm just pleased I even got an offer as it's definitely the place I really want to go to. All I can do is try :biggrin: I've also applied for 4 others I liked the look of alot, they're just in less convenient areas as I really want to continue living where I am.

Quote button. :smile:

But oh yes I do totally understand that, it does seem a little odd. Not that I think you should have been rejected, I mean your references and personal statement must be AMAZING. :smile: Though yes they offer more places than they have then every year get fined for every extra person they end up with over the limit haha.

But which other Uni's have you applied to? :smile:
Reply 526
Original post by Jessicar2
yeah mines the same and its my last too lol :smile: where else have you applied then :smile:

Aww! I've applied at York, Leicester, Nottingham and Sheffield :smile: What about you?
Original post by chelsey
Quote button. :smile:

But oh yes I do totally understand that, it does seem a little odd. Not that I think you should have been rejected, I mean your references and personal statement must be AMAZING. :smile: Though yes they offer more places than they have then every year get fined for every extra person they end up with over the limit haha.

But which other Uni's have you applied to? :smile:

I applied for Brunel, City, Goldsmiths and Kingston. I'm a bit annoyed that my D in physics is holding me back, not to sound snobby but I'm good at psychology and I absolutely love it, but I can't apply for the higher grade unis because of the damn physics :frown: haha. But I'm very happy with my choices, I've just got to work my butt off. I'm going to email Royal Holloway tomorrow and ask about the grades :smile: although I'm not certain what I'm going to say..

What have you applied for? :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 528
I applied for Brunel, City, Goldsmiths and Kingston. I'm a bit annoyed that my D in physics is holding me back, not to sound snobby but I'm good at psychology and I absolutely love it, but I can't apply for the higher grade unis because of the damn physics :frown: haha. But I'm very happy with my choices, I've just got to work my butt off. I'm going to email Royal Holloway tomorrow and ask about the grades :smile: although I'm not certain what I'm going to say..

What have you applied for? :biggrin:

Oh wow my partner appied for Brunel and City though for maths. :smile: Got offer from City yesterday and an email offer off from Brunel today. :smile:

Um just say that is there any flexibility because obviously your predicted grade in Physics is lower. For example of you missed the B in it and got a C, but got an A* in Psychology so got A*AC would you have any chance of still being accepted... Something like that maybe? :smile:

I've applied for Warwick, Southampton, Royal Holloway, Sussex and Reading. :smile:
The only uni I've had a response from is Brunel, but just to say that they've received my application. I've been checking my emails about every 2 hours for the last week, haha. I'm just so excited to start getting more offers. :biggrin:

The physics COULD go up to a C, I have a tutor for 2 hours a week, but I'm not sure I could get up all the subjects by a grade. But I'll try my hardest and see what other offers I get in the mean time! :smile: That's kinda of what I'm going to say, I'm very interested in the subject but how flexible are they on the grades.

Ahhh some good choices! I like Southampton, Warwick and Reading, I've never visited Sussex. Are you looking at psychology too?
Reply 530
The only uni I've had a response from is Brunel, but just to say that they've received my application. I've been checking my emails about every 2 hours for the last week, haha. I'm just so excited to start getting more offers. :biggrin:

The physics COULD go up to a C, I have a tutor for 2 hours a week, but I'm not sure I could get up all the subjects by a grade. But I'll try my hardest and see what other offers I get in the mean time! :smile: That's kinda of what I'm going to say, I'm very interested in the subject but how flexible are they on the grades.

Ahhh some good choices! I like Southampton, Warwick and Reading, I've never visited Sussex. Are you looking at psychology too?

My friend managed to go from a D to a B! I'm sure you'll do great. :smile: Yep go for it, let us know what they said. :smile:

I haven't seen any of them haha. :P But yep I am. :smile:
Reply 531
Hey has anyone else been invited to a UCL open day? Mines on the 25th of January so I have to leave straight after an exam and I was wondering if anyone else has that problem.
And is it true I'll get an offer if I go?
Reply 532
Original post by elbie
Hey has anyone else been invited to a UCL open day? Mines on the 25th of January so I have to leave straight after an exam and I was wondering if anyone else has that problem.

Wow grats :smile: Did you have to complete a questionnaire? If yes, when did you receive it? :smile:
Reply 533
Original post by Mmrawrr
Wow grats :smile: Did you have to complete a questionnaire? If yes, when did you receive it? :smile:

And yes I did, I got the questionnaire at the end of November, I sent it in on the 9th of Decemeber, then they took a couple of days to say they'd recieved it, and the day after that email I was invited to the open day :biggrin:
I'm so excited to go, but I just don't know whether to get my hopes up about getting an offer
Original post by elbie

i have that exact problem, do u have bio in the morning?
Reply 535
Original post by danielwalsh
i have that exact problem, do u have bio in the morning?

Yeah, and obviously I don't want to give up this open day, and I don't want to ask for a different date and end up with an earlier one with my other exams.

I think I'm going to rush straight after to the train and hope for the best haha, and tell them if the train is late :s-smilie:
Original post by elbie
Yeah, and obviously I don't want to give up this open day, and I don't want to ask for a different date and end up with an earlier one with my other exams.

I think I'm going to rush straight after to the train and hope for the best haha, and tell them if the train is late :s-smilie:

same. I didn't want to wait for the one in February because then it is a whole another month before offers
Reply 537

I have a friend who got BBBD at AS, but got A*A*A*A in his A levels overall.... yes, he had to work ridiculously hard and retook all of his AS modules.... but anything is achievable if you put your mind to it :smile: xxx
how's everyones applications doing? :')
Reply 539
Original post by Tay594
Aww! I've applied at York, Leicester, Nottingham and Sheffield :smile: What about you?

Surrey, Lancaster, Plymouth and Bangor :smile: Have you had any other offers back? I've had all of mine now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest