Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A personal tale:

I remember going on my first barge ride, oh, when I was about four or perhaps five. I remember they said that the barge would be sinking soon (as in, dropping water level), but I thought it meant the barge was going underwater. I checked the windows and other open doors, and kept saying to people 'We need to close the windows', constantly, but nobody would listen.

I finally just huddled between my grandmother and grandfather, expecting the worst. Everything turned out better than expected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philistine)
    Another one which catches many people out:

'For all intents and purposes', said by the majority of persons as 'for all intensive purposes'.
    oh WHAT are you serious?
    gosh the phrase makes so much more sense now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacksonriddle)
    oh WHAT are you serious?
    gosh the phrase makes so much more sense now!
    Indeedy. :smug:

ReputationRep:
    before i watched doctor who i thought the doctor was called "doctor who"

ReputationRep:
    My sister used to think I was 'Auntie Lucy' even though I'm her sister!!! and when I was little I used to think 'Peugeot' was pronounced pe-got, weirdly, so did my current boyfriend!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeter than a cherry pie)
    I used to think cats peed out their tails.
    hahahaha that did make me chuckle a little

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    I used to think that the Knightmare contestants actually died.
    Loved that TV show

ReputationRep:
    'The exception that proves the rule' uses an archaic meaning of 'proof', which more closely resembles 'test' in modern English.

I used to think turbulence on airplanes was the wings hitting trees. I was only 16.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGoat)
    I don't know if this has been said already but..

I was terrified of the idea of chewing gum staying in your system for 7 years if you swallow it when I was younger.. Now I know it isn't true 8-)

And not really a common misconception but.. I know people who were told that when ice-cream vans play music, they're telling you they have no ice-cream left 8-)
    HAHAHAHA The one about the ice cream is what my auntie tells my little cousins, hahaha, we are evil...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ideot)
    Every time someone would say, "Eurgh, there's an awful draft", I heard "draft" as "giraffe". My imagination supplied further images when people said things like "There's a horrible, cold draft coming in under the door"...

O_O rly?
    HAHA I alwyas had an image of a Giraffe trying to sneak under the doors

ReputationRep:
    Going with a Christmassy theme...

Singing: 'Deck the halls with bells of holly'
    Instead of: 'Deck the halls with boughs of holly'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liissiie)
    Going with a Christmassy theme...

Singing: 'Deck the halls with bells of holly'
    Instead of: 'Deck the halls with boughs of holly'
    This reminds me of our year 6 Christmas event

A small group of us were allowed to decorate the staircase where we would be singing carols from. The ***** of the school took over and demanded that we decorate it with bells and holly leaves. None of us cared to question her.

When the teacher came to see how we'd got on he said: 'Very festive! Who came up with the idea?'

So the queen ***** arrogantly stands up, smug grin, presenting towards the decorations with her arms and sang at the top of her voice

'DEEEEEC THE HALLS WITH BELLS AND HOLLY...' :awesome:

So glad the teacher pointed out her error. I did get the silent treatment for bursting out laughing at her though :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrFoxy13)
    HAHAHAHA The one about the ice cream is what my auntie tells my little cousins, hahaha, we are evil...
    Loool poor them :P I was lucky enough not to have been told this.. I was just told no when I asked for an ice cream haha

ReputationRep:
    That the White House in is the state of Washington.....it is not....it is in Washington D.C in Maryland...Opposite side of the country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetheartbreakin)
    That the White House in is the state of Washington.....it is not....it is in Washington D.C in Maryland...Opposite side of the country
    Between Maryland and Virginia might be more accurate, since the land used to form the District if Columbia came from both states and is now officially in neither.

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea FC are not based in Chelsea but in Fulham.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that you could only print one copy of a word document off on a computer before having to type it again. So I was amazed when they used to give out hundreds of newsletters at school... I thought the secretary was typing out each one individually!

ReputationRep:
    On a festive theme, I used to think it was "away in a manger no crib for a bed, the little old Jesus"

nawww

ReputationRep:
    My little sis was obssessed with that wanted song "all time low"- she'd play it non-stop so I knew the lyrics by heart...or thought I knew them . There's a line that goes:

If you call me now girl without reservation,
    I will try to break through

I GENUINLEY thought the last line went; I will try to rape you :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Chelsea FC are not based in Chelsea but in Fulham.
    there only just in fulham

Sticking with the footie, until I was about 12 I thought Andy and Ashley Cole were brothers and it wasn't untill I was 15 that I found out Roy and Robbie Kean were not brothers

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.