Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What even was the last poem about? Can't remember for the life of me now! lol I did the opposite and put that Hardy's poem wasn't moving or effective at all, and it was absurd to even suggest that... went full on with saying 'Perhaps' was better as it was romantic and personal, whereas the Hardy one was impersonal and a practical side of love, and pesimistic. Hehe... god, I'm sad.

I'm dreading Byron, know nothing about it. Hoping for a C on that question as I just can't do it... DJ is a new text too so there aren't any past questions. 'Othello' is great though, love the play so much. What do you do for Blake? One poem or a collection?

Iago may come up, he's not been in on his own since 03/04 I think. Othello has been in a lot... Desdemona/Emilia/Bianca might come up, don't think Othello will as the past few have involved him... it'd be nice to see Cassio, as I like him. But then you can't talk about Iago without Othello and vice versa! Scene questions are alright, the Willow scene one was good last year, I've done that as a practice question. Which texts did you do for comparative study then?

Good luck in your geography Lucas, are you hazard-ing? Its my hazards on Friday, as of yet I know the grand total of about 5 hazards.

And heeey Monki No idea about the mountain thing sorry, I've applied for Pollock... that has a mountains!

ReputationRep:
    Hey no worries about the mountains thing i know i can see them from the labs at the Kings buildings. Hmm im thinking there will be quite a lot of staring out of the window because of that. I have my hazards paper on friday too. I havent even looked at it oops. Small matter of some latin exams to get through first which could be rather nasty. So not sure if this has been asked before but what societies are people going to join? I was thinking of joining the mountaineering, walking, and a conservation one too cos i love working on nature reserves and things like that. Also when is everyones last exam i know the scottish people have finished you lucky so and sos

ReputationRep:
    I had 2 exams - Geography in the morning and German in the afternoon...

Geography
    - deserts, I think I did really well, hopefully 45/45
    - tourism, really really weird question, I'm not sure if I understood part a) and wrote the correct thing!!!
    - still, I got 279/300 in AS --> so I need 201 for an A and 141/300 for a B

German
    - listening, reading and translations
    - I think it went really well, so should be an A

beanie, I have already revised the synoptic paper, so it's hopefully safely settled in my head (I will be re-revising tomorrow and on Thursday) - I think it's easier that the paper that we did today, more marks to get, more writing (you can write real essays there), more interesting, so I hope I will do well...What about you?

ReputationRep:
    The last poem was a post-war one about a guy who finds an old letter from a soldier and it brings back memories etc. It was a crap choice, surely they could have put some Owen or Sassoon in or at least some mid-war poetry.

I kind of said the same thing as you did for 1a. Even though i thought Hardy's poem was more moving, i argued both sides and commented on the impersonal nature as the woman is simply referred to as 'a wife in London'

For Blake we have to do the full collection 'Songs of Innocence and of Experience' which i think has around 40-50 poems in total, but the majority are very short and there are about 10-15 key ones that need to be learnt in depth. I only need a D on that question if I have managed to scrape a D for the war lit paper so i'm not getting to worried about it.

Othello is fab! I adore it! I just hope the question doesn't involve minor characters like Lodovico or even Brabantio. But then I guess I could just chose the other question. It's a shame we don't study that in the first year at Edin. Macbeth, The Tempest and Hamlet instead.

For the comparative coursework I did a novel called 'Things Fall Apart' by Achebe which is an African novel from the 1950s and 'Journey's End' which (as you prob know!) is a WW1 play. And I basically compared the two lead characters and explored them as tragic heroes. Quite interesting actually!

Argh! I really must go and do some Blake revision.. Sob!!

ReputationRep:
    Ok what subjects does everyone do because most of you seem to do english. I do biology chemistry geography and latin. Hmm do you think i will be able to do latin as one of my options?

ReputationRep:
    Can I show and say I did physics, chemistry, biology and technical drawing.

My exams are finished nuh nuh :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sitting any this year- double nuh nuh!

But last year I sat English, Gaidhlig, Geography, Maths and Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    I did AS french, A2 maths and further maths (last maths exam yesterday. I'm never doing it again. It's actually really depressing.... ) I'm still doing biology and chemistry. Last year I did AS psychology.

And poo you to yossarianlives and michael.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monki)
    Ok what subjects does everyone do because most of you seem to do english. I do biology chemistry geography and latin. Hmm do you think i will be able to do latin as one of my options?
    You do Latin?? that is soo cool!! I've always wanted to learn Latin but they don't offer it at college... maybe I could do it at Ed? I like the whole word origins aspect of Latin, its so interesting.

I do English Language, Geography, French and English Literature. And General Studies! Last year I did Spanish as well. Yeah.... there does seem to be a fair few English students on this thread, but its all good!

Funky Moped- 40 or 50 poems?? and its a closed text?? Although Byron isn't any better. Don Juan is only one poem, with 12 (or possibly 16, can't remember) cantos which are all several hundered stanzas long. We only study selected parts of cantos 1-4 though, but even that takes up 200+ sheets of printed paper! Hate it.
    Don't think they'd give us a question mainly on the minor characters, would they?? Roderigo and Cassio have been in a combined one with Iago, but thats it as far as I know. Brabantio would be alright, but I know very little about Lodvico/Montano!
    Oooh cool idea of comparing a play... that sounds really interesting! I did mine on the presentation of rape and sexual experience in 'Tess of the d'Urbervilles' and 'The lovely bones', sounds obscure but it was actually really good to do!

Lucas- Yeah, synoptic paper seems more fun. Does your exam board have a pre release? what is it? Mine is Sri Lanka, looks like its gonna be a tourism thing based on pick the best site for X. Hazards is just the baine of my life at the moment. Glad your exams went well!

(developed the habit of writing loads as a way to aviod revision, sorry)

ReputationRep:
    Yup i do latin and have done for 7 years seems a bit of a ridiculous length of time really but i usually enjoy it and i do find it quite useful (sometimes). However im regretting taking it at the moment cos i have a rather hard exam tomorrow. English students i know your pain. ive got to learn 23 pages of Livy in latin and in english and 26 pages of vocab. Laughs hysterically. I think its ridiculous that entire exams hinge completely on the knowledge of one thing.
    Wow everyone does or did such a mix of subjects.
    michaelnicholson88 Is gaelic close to scandanavian languages or has it got completely the wrong roots?

ReputationRep:
    Gaelic is Celtic, like Welsh, Irish or Manx, isn't it?

No, there's no pre-release for my Geography exams - I'm OCR A...
    you've got loads of human and physical topics and three questions for each topic.
    e.g. for hazards something general, then something on mass movements and something on hurricanes (don't really like them)...
    then there's urban management, e.g. something on housing problems in LEDC cities, social exclusion in MEDCs and pollution of cities...

much more fun, more areas covered in less detail...

ReputationRep:
    Lukas i do OCR A too but we are doing hazards and whichever option includes stuff like wilderness areas, agriculture etc. Hmm i actually have no idea what that comes under because my geog teacher is a useless waste of space. I thought some of the questions today were a bit strange did u?
    You see i thought celtic and scandanavian were all related but i really dont have much of a clue. (Can speak a little norwegian and read slightly more)

ReputationRep:
    Gaelic is Celtic, and you find that those who can speak one of them can understand one or more of the others. (I can understand Irish pretty well). You may be thinking about the place names up here- the Viking occupations in the 8th to 11th centuries had a huge impact on those, especially in the Western Isles (where I live). Many of the place names here are derivatives of Old Norse, or Norse combined with Gaelic.

A nice fun fact for the day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monki)
    Lukas i do OCR A too but we are doing hazards and whichever option includes stuff like wilderness areas, agriculture etc. Hmm i actually have no idea what that comes under because my geog teacher is a useless waste of space. I thought some of the questions today were a bit strange did u?
    You see i thought celtic and scandanavian were all related but i really dont have much of a clue. (Can speak a little norwegian and read slightly more)
    Precisely...the questions were really weird...i was discussing it with some other people at tea...
    the questions, esp. the tourism ones, were nothing like in the past...no ecotourism, no sustainable tourism, focusing on really minor stuff, weird...
    well, i'm assuming that therefore many people did not do well, e.g. their teacher told them to learn some specific stuff, so they did, but the questions were completely different, so I think UMS marks' calculations will play a big role in these exams (they will have to raise our marks - hopefully)

ReputationRep:
    Do many people speak gaelic in Scotland? Erm when i come to edinburgh (hopefully) do you think someone would be able to teach me how to pronounce scottish words?
    Lukas i did the glaciation question and they were phrased really weirdly also we do agriculture and famine section and there was nothing about famine as there is in every single other paper so i think loads of people will have been caught out by that cos the famine questions are the easy options and most hate/didnt revise agriculture. Luckily i had so hopefully the grades will be lowered accordingly and i can get an A.

ReputationRep:
    There's about 50,000 Gaelic speakers in Scotland, mostly concentrated in the Highlands and the Western Isles. That's less than 1% of the population. By Scottish words do you mean Gaelic or Scots- either way I'm happy to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monki)
    Do many people speak gaelic in Scotland? Erm when i come to edinburgh (hopefully) do you think someone would be able to teach me how to pronounce scottish words?
    Lukas i did the glaciation question and they were phrased really weirdly also we do agriculture and famine section and there was nothing about famine as there is in every single other paper so i think loads of people will have been caught out by that cos the famine questions are the easy options and most hate/didnt revise agriculture. Luckily i had so hopefully the grades will be lowered accordingly and i can get an A.
    yes, tourism questions were phrased really weirdly (the desert one that i did was not, it was quite clear&easy), I don't actually know if I wrote about the right thing in the part a)!!! how can they do it to us, asking stuff in such a difficult way when they could just ask it really simply? so unfair...i just hope that the same thing will not happen on friday...the author of those question must have been intoxicated

ReputationRep:
    michaelnicholson88 Im really embarassed to ask this because i think its terrible that i know virtually nothing about Scotland. Whats the difference between Scottish and Gaelic? Im really sorry about my ignorance.
    Lukas: I dont know how many past papers youve looked at but most of the time they like to hide the question and so loads of people at school keep getting the wrong end of the stick. I agree though you would have to be drunk to write questions like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monki)
    michaelnicholson88 Im really embarassed to ask this because i think its terrible that i know virtually nothing about Scotland. Whats the difference between Scottish and Gaelic? Im really sorry about my ignorance.
    Lukas: I dont know how many past papers youve looked at but most of the time they like to hide the question and so loads of people at school keep getting the wrong end of the stick. I agree though you would have to be drunk to write questions like that.
    well, tourism questions were always as clear as possible and I have all the papers since June 2002 - it was like 'define ecotourism' or 'show how governments and other bodies have promoted more sustainable forms of tourism'..therefore, yesterday was a bit of shocker for me...still, I think I did alright, but now it's time to focus on tomorrow's German and Friday's Geography exams...

ReputationRep:
    Scots (not Scottish) is a Scottish dialect of English and is similar to the Geordie dialect. Gaelic is a different language altogether, and is more akin to Irish. Neither is widely spoken in Scotland today

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.