Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    With all due respect to her - neither is ally.
    Touche.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straas)
    Truth becomes clichéd when we don't accept it, yeah that seems plausable.....

Being bigoted against a nationality has now become a "truth"? :confused:

Jeez, it's worse than I thought over there. It must practically be a religion for a few brits. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djchak)

Jeez, it's worse than I thought over there. It must practically be a religion for a few brits. :eek:
    For a third of them if you recall the poll we had here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    I don't believe he got in there on merit alone, but I believe he stayed there on merit. We have plenty of politicians (Al Gore for example) who were from privileged backgrounds and they still flunked out of highly regarded schools.
    Being good enough to avoid failing isnt a sufficent standard to hold a president to. I am well aware than some brilliant people fail out of school, so depsite his educational career and mediocre to sub-par grades, Bush COULD be a brain... however there is nothing to lead me to believe that. He comes over as fairly dim, and the only reason I mention his academic career is because peopl ebring it up to rebutt my impression. Unfortunately the career doesnt do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Why's that?
    I sould re-phrase - I dont dislike them.. but I relate far better to yanks... I find the brits to be very samey in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djchak)

If you'd payed any attention, you might have noticed I was referring to the conflict in Iraq.

If disagreeing with a countrys actions is synonymous with hating the people of the country in your mind, then there really is no hope for you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    The rest of your quotes may be true, but this one is too far fetched to be a real quote.
    http://www.snopes.com/quotes/brazil.htm

Trust me, if that was a real quote, we'd still be hearing about it today from the NY Times
    Apologies, I thought it was from a relatively reputable site so presumed it to be correct. At the same time the article that you have linked is not really a strong rebuttal against its authenticity, in fact it concludes with,

"Lacking anything more to go by, we have to leave this one in the "undetermined" column"

Anyway this particular quote's authenticity is irrelevant, you have a whole host of other confirmed quotes that I have posted along with various others I'm sure a quick google will bring up. The point is that Mr. Bush is hardly the most facile tongued of gentlemen.

More importantly some of the statements show ignorance "sweden neutral" for example.

For some one with an Mba from Harvard, an Leader on the International scale Ihis knowledge of world affairs is inadequate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straas)
    If you'd payed any attention, you might have noticed I was referring to the conflict in Iraq.

If disagreeing with a countrys actions is synonymous with hating the people of the country in your mind, then there really is no hope for you...
    Anyone who thinks the war in Iraq was fought to help American businesses is ignoramous. Period.

(Original post by pugnacious)
    For some one with an Mba from Harvard, an Leader on the International scale Ihis knowledge of world affairs is inadequate.
    Why would someone with a Masters in Business Administration know about international politics?

More importantly some of the statements show ignorance "sweden neutral" for example.
    Sweden is neutral. He was wrong about it not having troops, but then again, it's not like Sweden ever fights wars, so it's not something we should be concerned with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Why would someone with a Masters in Business Administration know about international politics?
    Yes - true - to a certain extent. It is not unfair to expect someone at that level of education to have some level of knowledge about the world, especially since business is not an entirely national-only issue.

Sweden is neutral. He was wrong about it not having troops, but then again, it's not like Sweden ever fights wars, so it's not something we should be concerned with.
    But he clearly mixed up Sweden with Switzerland... he got lucky that what he said was NEARLY correct.

(Even then the Swiss also have an army)

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who thinks the war in Iraq was fought to help American businesses is ignoramous. Period.
    So you believe the sole purpose of invasion was to liberate the opressed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    I am well aware than some brilliant people fail out of school, .
    Einstein did.

ReputationRep:
    So it was for international security?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Yes - true - to a certain extent. It is not unfair to expect someone at that level of education to have some level of knowledge about the world, especially since business is not an entirely national-only issue.
    I'm sure he knew about the politics of countries he dealt with (as his relations with the Saudis clearly show).

But he clearly mixed up Sweden with Switzerland... he got lucky that what he said was NEARLY correct.

What makes you think he confused them? Both countries neutral. :confused: Why should anybody care whether or not Sweden has an army? It's not exactly irrational to assume that a country that hasn't fought a war for two centuries doesn't have an army.

(Original post by naivesincerity)
    So it was for international security?
    I'm not going to get into this again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)

How much damage can they do with a toothpick, scissors, serrated knife, tweezers, can opener, and screwdriver...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    How much damage can they do with a toothpick, scissors, serrated knife, tweezers, can opener, and screwdriver...
    Well if its sunny a magnifying glass can do some real damage.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure he knew about the politics of countries he dealt with (as his relations with the Saudis clearly show).
    I can (for the sake of argument) forgive his ignorance prior to a political career.. but for someone who is asking to be made the commander in Chief of the most powerful country in the world, and it's international spokseman, to know little to nothing about the world outside his own borders is unforgivable.

I would never elect such a person... they are inevitably narrow-minded and unworldly.

What makes you think he confused them? Both countries neutral. :confused: Why should anybody care whether or not Sweden has an army? It's not exactly irrational to assume that a country that hasn't fought a war for two centuries doesn't have an army.
    I would say it is highly irrational. Even Trinidad has an army... I cant prove he meant the Swiss, but my guess is he did, or at least was thinking about them... Sw name, NEUTRAL (which is pretty much defined by the Swiss) and little military activity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    I can (for the sake of argument) forgive his ignorance prior to a political career.. but for someone who is asking to be made the commander in Chief of the most powerful country in the world, and it's international spokseman, to know little to nothing about the world outside his own borders is unforgivable.

I would never elect such a person... they are inevitably narrow-minded and unworldly.
    It's the inevitable result of a decentalized and character-based (in contrast to the party-oriented systems in most of Europe) political system like America's. When you have significant amounts of power at the state and federal level, as well as on the legislative and executive level, you're bound to get people who didn't have to "work their way up" the political ladder. Bush Sr. is the only President in the last quarter of a century who had international experience before getting elected.

I would say it is highly irrational. Even Trinidad has an army... I cant prove he meant the Swiss, but my guess is he did, or at least was thinking about them... Sw name, NEUTRAL (which is pretty much defined by the Swiss) and little military activity.
    The Swiss have one of the largest and most disciplined armies in Europe...

ReputationRep:
    It's the inevitable result of a decentalized and character-based (in contrast to the party-oriented systems in most of Europe) political system like America's.
    I would hazard a guess that most US presidents in the last 50 years have known more about the world than Bush before coming to office...

When you have significant amounts of power at the state and federal level, as well as on the legislative and executive level, you're bound to get people who didn't have to "work their way up" the political ladder. Bush Sr. is the only President in the last quarter of a century who had international experience before getting elected.
    Clinton didnt either - but that's not my point... he studied in the UK for a year, and was fairly well travelled compared to Bush... although anyone is who has left the country once.

In addition, as said, just general KNOWLEDGE about the rest of the world leaves Bush running dead last as far as I know...

I mean Jesus - if my dad was VP I would know a lot about the world... Bush knew nada...

Even then - comparison isnt really relevant to whether or not you think Bush SHOULD have known/wanted to find out about things outside the US before he ran to lead it at home and abroad.

ReputationRep:

I dunno, maybe the fact that as stated before those who graduate with an MBA from Harvard are put in the top 5% of intelligence. That coupled with the fact that his dad was President of The United States of America, and at the time of making the statement, he was, The President of The United States of America, insinuated that he should have an Ok knowledge of world politics.

I appreciate that his involvement in Harvard alone in an unrelated topic should not give him a great knowledge of world politics, but as President he should know the difference between Sweden and Switzerland.

I agree with you on that, the cost of the war far outweighs any potential revenue generated from oil profits from the region. Plus, we all know that the war was fought to bring freedom to the Iraqi people. Now those living in the cities face the daily threat of death through islamic terrorism and trigger happy soldiers. But hey, at least they can vote.

ReputationRep:
    The Swiss have one of the largest and most disciplined armies in Europe...
    Well - they have conscription and a civilian army effectively... but they dont have much Military activity in terms on action abroad, military spending or shows of force.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2008
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.