Poll: What do you think the 6 marker will be?
Embryonic Stem cells/Genetic disorders (16)
29.09%
Mitosis and Meiosis (11)
20%
Speciation (13)
23.64%
Quadrats and Transects (6)
10.91%
Limiting factors of photosynthesis in the greenhouse (9)
16.36%
ibraheemfazaldin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Farhan96)
You low life troll. You probably failed this exam like you will your whole life!
fubhi i see u have tsr beef yhh that guy is very annoying >
lol-no
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by thatgirlx)
improved unofficial mark scheme
if any of the answers are incorrect thats fine, this is my own take on the exam, though do feel free to discuss the answers. And, i forgot a few questions but below is everything i remember. And the marks for each one is from what i remember!

1a) a glass sheet or glass placed between the pondweed and lamp to deflect or absorb the heat. Or a water bath (1)
1b) as the distance increases the oxygen bubbles given off decrease. At 10 and 15cm, the oxygen bubbles remain at 84 meaning that it is no longer the limiting factor (1)
1c) carbon dioxide concentration or temperature (1)

2a) qwc question
plants have mesophyll tissue, xylem and phloem tissue and epidermal tissue. Explanation of the functions.. E.g xylem transports water... Could mention a few cells but unfortunately it was important to mention these! The structure would be, mesophyll near the top to have a lot of light. I also mentioned palisade cells and guard cells (6)

enzymes section
1. As the percentage of trypsin increases, the rate of reaction increases from 0.1 to 0.6. They are directionally proportional to each other. (2)
2. 0.6 or 6% forgot.. (1)
3. It was better for manufacturers to use 0.5% with 35 degrees because 35 is the optimum temperature. So less money is used to maintain higher temperatures for no reason and because less money is spent on the enzymes which are very costly (3)
4) enzymes are used in baby foods as proteases as they can break down the protein to amino acids. This allows the baby to digest the food easily (3)
5) another enzyme in industry:
Biological detergents: Proteases and lipases are used in industry to remove stains from clothing.
Slimming foods: Isomerase can be used to convert glucose syrup into fructose syrup. Fructose is sweeter so less can be used compared to glucose. (3)

mitochondria section
1) part a was a mitochondrion (1)
2) ? Dont remember
3) oxygen diffuses from an area of high concentration in the blood to an area of low concentration in the cell. It moves down the concentration gradient through a partially permeable membrane. (4)
4) ribosomes produce proteins. They get the energy to do this by part a the mitochondria respiring to supply energy. They put amino acids in a specific order to form an enzyme (3)

meiosis section
1) the diagram showed meiosis (1)
2) testes (1)
3) 23 (1)
4) they must be 23 so that the gametes produced by meiosis can fuse at fertilisation to produce the full set of 46 whilst causing variation in the offspring. (2)

genetic variation section:
1) a dominant allele is one which is expressed over recessive even if only one is present (1)
2) not sure forgot questions...
3) heterozygous! Dd. (1)
4) you could tell that it was not a recessive disorder because there were no carriers (1)
5) 50% - drawn diagram (4)
5) stem cells can be made to differntiate to any cell. Therefore can treat the disorder (2)
6) taking cells from skin have no ethical issues / not harmful / optional / volunteers / etc. (1)

quadrat section
1) they had to use a large sample size
they had to make sure it was randomly placed (the transect must have been placed anywhere in the woodland, not specifically where they think they would get best results) (2)
2) the plants in the light can photosynthesise more, meaning growing more compared to the rest (2)
3) 11 i think, forgot! (1)
4) to test their hypothesis they could place half the plants in the habitat in light and half the plants in the same habitat in the dark. Same for both habitat a and b (2)
5) how plants produce more flowers i have no idea? Possibly to do with the photosynthesising more idea.. (2)

speciation section
1) a species is a group of organisms who can interbreed to produce fertile offspring (2)
2) there must have been a physical barrier which isolated the two plants. They showed genetic variation due to differences in alleles and due to the environment. As you can see one had ph8 and the other ph6. The plants best adapted passed on the beneficial alleles to the next generation via natural section. Eventually they became so different they can no longer produce fertile offspring... Speciation. (5)

this was posted from the student room's iphone/ipad app
thank you so much
lol-no
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Guys.. i'm really worried about my 6 mark,
I mentioned:
- palisade layers
- epithelial tissue (i'm such an idiot, i know)
- xylem and phloem cells (but i didn't mention what they are used for)
- stomata, i explained this throughly
- and plenty of mitochondria in the cells for energy?

what is the minimum and maximum you think I can get fo rthis question?
please andwer, i'm really worried! :confused:
lol-no
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bbadonde2)
What was the question about embryonic stem cells, what did the Japanese use instead? I put it cheaper and easier just to use embryonic stem cells than convert them.
I put adult cells can regrow? Less ethical reasons as adults have control of their body, not a fact of moral reasons
I also put easier
social outcast
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lol-no)
I mentioned:
- palisade layers

you put nearly the same as me i think well get around 3 marks
bbadonde2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I mentioned:
- palisade layers

No need to worry if you one question a bit wrong. Everyone does it on at least one question in every exam! Just praise yourself on the things you did good in and look forward to getting a good mark!
Giroud12
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think I have lost 10-12 marks in total for sure, which is ok, but tbh you can never really tell for the first question I didn't know what to put so just put use a thermometer to measure the temp. at regular intervals haha
NightStrider
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I mentioned:
- palisade layers

At least you mentioned Xylem and Phloem - I didnt, but I did expain everything else quite well though.
ThatGirlx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Giroud12)
I think I have lost 10-12 marks in total for sure, which is ok, but tbh you can never really tell for the first question I didn't know what to put so just put use a thermometer to measure the temp. at regular intervals haha
10-12 marks lost will DEFO be an A* Let me know how it goes but well done

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
ThatGirlx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
thank you so much
No probs!
How did you find the exam?

shibucool
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ThatGirlx)
Mitochondria section
1) Part A was a mitochondrion (1)
2) ? Dont remember
3) Oxygen diffuses from an area of high concentration in the blood to an area of low concentration in the cell. It moves down the concentration gradient through a partially permeable membrane. (4)
4) Ribosomes produce proteins. They get the energy to do this by Part A the mitochondria respiring to supply energy. They put amino acids in a specific order to form an enzyme (3)
2 was the aerobic respiration equation. Glucose + Oxygen ----> Carbon Dioxide + Water.

3 was only 3 marks
shibucool
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ThatGirlx)
Quadrat section
1) They had to use a large sample size
They had to make sure it was randomly placed (the transect must have been placed anywhere in the woodland, not specifically where they think they would get best results) (2)
2) The plants in the light can photosynthesise more, meaning growing more compared to the rest (2)
3) 11 I think, forgot! (1)
4) To test their hypothesis they could place half the plants in the habitat in light and half the plants in the same habitat in the dark. Same for both habitat a and b (2)
5) How plants produce more flowers i have no idea? Possibly to do with the photosynthesising more idea.. (2)
3 was asking for the mode and I'm pretty sure it was 6
Efemena15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The marks for the 'unofficial mark scheme' are totally incorrect. Most answers are correct, so don't worry yourself if you think you haven't done well
numbermachine1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by popburrow)
2/4
what about me??
I said that it is between the range that gives the best results, but is the lowest in the range meaning the rate if reaction will be faster, speeding up the process meaning it is cheaper
how many marks do you reckon??
numbermachine1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by shibucool)
3 was asking for the mode and I'm pretty sure it was 6
yeah that's right
BLTontour
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is reproductive organ correct?

BLTontour
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If I mentioned quadrant and transect on the sampling questions and explained how to count, how many marks?

shibucool
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BLTontour)
Is reproductive organ correct?

I don't think so because it's an organ system....But you will never know!
ThatGirlx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Efemena15)
The marks for the 'unofficial mark scheme' are totally incorrect. Most answers are correct, so don't worry yourself if you think you haven't done well
Sorry about that! Had to just guess the marks from memory :confused:
ThatGirlx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by shibucool)
2 was the aerobic respiration equation. Glucose + Oxygen ----> Carbon Dioxide + Water.

3 was only 3 marks
Oh okay!
Thankyou
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (120)
64.86%
No I haven't decided yet (39)
21.08%
Yes but I might change my mind (26)
14.05%

Watched Threads