Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gjaykay)
    Am I the only one who doesn't understand how Jack can become the Face of Boe? I mean considering the Face of Boe died permanently and Jack is a fixed point in time and space, it really doesn't make sense.
    I think the point was Jack was a fixed point in time which kind-of drifted forward (very slowly), as opposed to moved like everyone else - hence aging very slowly (End of S3 0 grey hairs), and then eventually dying.

ReputationRep:
    Well it said, Jack can never die, meaning no one can kill him only old age. In "End of the World" it's said the Face of Boe is the oldest thing ever, so the man that can never die must be the face of Boe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    I think the point was Jack was a fixed point in time which kind-of drifted forward (very slowly), as opposed to moved like everyone else - hence aging very slowly (End of S3 0 grey hairs), and then eventually dying.
    I dunno, I get he was old and such, but I though the point of The Doctor not being able to look at him and the TARDIS running away from him was because he was eternal and shouldn't be?

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, I get he was old and such, but I though the point of The Doctor not being able to look at him and the TARDIS running away from him was because he was eternal and shouldn't be?
    The Doctor not being able to look at him / the Tardis trying to escape from him could still be explained by him being a fixed point which slightly drifts - he would still be 'impossible' in any normal sense.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who doesn't understand how Jack can become the Face of Boe? I mean considering the Face of Boe died permanently and Jack is a fixed point in time and space, it really doesn't make sense.
    Many DW fans have wondered the same, probably. The only possible explanation I've come across is this, it isn't approved, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazel.red.leaf)
    Many DW fans have wondered the same, probably. The only possible explanation I've come across is this, it isn't approved, though.

Apart from in Torchwood, when he got blown apart, his entire body regrew - so if the headless monks had of cropped his head if, it is fairly like his body would have grown back.

ReputationRep:

He'd of regrew his head like in Torchwood.

(Original post by rmhumphries)
    The Doctor not being able to look at him / the Tardis trying to escape from him could still be explained by him being a fixed point which slightly drifts - he would still be 'impossible' in any normal sense.
    But fixed points are fixed....there is no room for them to move or drift. Like when The Teselecta gets shot by River in Utah, it was always meant to happen, if it different, time began dying?

ReputationRep:
    The Doctor said that when Rose absorbed the time vortex and brought Jack back to life she couldn't control it and brought him back "forever". But I don't think he meant that literally. Jack is a fixed point in time because his life span is impossibly long, so it has a considerable impact on the whole of space and time. So I think he always had a limited amount of "resurrection energy" and that's how he died because he used the last of it to save the city of New New York. That's what I think anyway...

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so there is a fairly major potential spoiler/rumour about the 50th anniversary that has come about from a 'reliable' source on GallifreyBase. I've put a link in the spoiler. If true, it could be a pretty major plot point.. Having said that, I don't think it's true, but if done right would be pretty damn cool.

Although I can already think of several plot holes that would make it near impossible to pull off.

ReputationRep:
    He'd of regrew his head like in Torchwood.

But fixed points are fixed....there is no room for them to move or drift. Like when The Teselecta gets shot by River in Utah, it was always meant to happen, if it different, time began dying?
    Fixed points in time are not necessarily the same people fixed in time. A fixed point in time is something which has to happen (and is fixed in Space/Time - as it always happens at the same point in space as well as time), whereas a person fixed in time among other things can't be killed, but they can move, interact, and such. I would consider Jack himself to be fixed in time, however he isn't tied to any one point in space - so I don't know if the two can be compared.

ReputationRep:
    Is it me or is doctor who starting to look like a low budget show now? Last episode was decent, stealing bits off alien off alien vs predator was a bit cheesy. Not knowing what happened to the guy who gave up the secrets to the alien was a bomber. Also it was tad bit weird having a full British cast playing russian soldiers as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YamahaLondon)
    Is it me or is doctor who starting to look like a low budget show now?
    The alien was terrible CGI. I don't know why they didn't use a costume because the CGI made it look like a show on SyFy. They seem to be using a lot more (bad) CGI when it's not needed. We all know that CGI ages much faster than costume/makeup. The only explanation I can think of is that Steven Moffat is becoming CGI obsessed like George Lucas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YamahaLondon)
    Is it me or is doctor who starting to look like a low budget show now? Last episode was decent, stealing bits off alien off alien vs predator was a bit cheesy. Not knowing what happened to the guy who gave up the secrets to the alien was a bomber. Also it was tad bit weird having a full British cast playing russian soldiers as well.
    I quite liked the way they played on the language thing, it's always been a stretch that the Tardis instantly bestows perfect universal translation and natural fluency on its passengers, but I suppose they had to handle it somehow! However, it's nice to see subtitles sometimes and some of the best classic Doctor Who involved subtitled foreigners - there was one involving some Russian sailors speaking Russian, Enigma machines, WW2 Nazis, vampires and stuff that was very good, can't remember the title.

I liked the scene on the surfaced sub at the end, but the Ice Warrior's ship seemed implausible to me, I mean did those vicious clawed creatures really make all that high-tech happen?

ReputationRep:

That could have been cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yoghurt)
    Ok, so there is a fairly major potential spoiler/rumour about the 50th anniversary that has come about from a 'reliable' source on GallifreyBase. I've put a link in the spoiler. If true, it could be a pretty major plot point.. Having said that, I don't think it's true, but if done right would be pretty damn cool.

Although I can already think of several plot holes that would make it near impossible to pull off.
    Spoiler:
    Show

If it is true, which I doubt (because it would take too long to explain for a start), I don't really get what difference it would make. Except for the 11th would then be Tennant... And at the fall of the eleventh, his name is supposed to be revealed so that would probably happen in the 50th.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    About the 50th:

Spoiler:
    Show
    So do we think that when 11 and Rose meet, 11 will still be in love with her? Or now is it all ok because he's in love with River? Plus how would 10 react, having only seen River once?

ReputationRep:
    About the 50th:

Spoiler:
    Show
    So do we think that when 11 and Rose meet, 11 will still be in love with her? Or now is it all ok because he's in love with River? Plus how would 10 react, having only seen River once?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Is he in love with River? What evidence do we have that he truly "loves" her? If he does, it certainly wouldn't be on the same level as his love for Rose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Is he in love with River? What evidence do we have that he truly "loves" her? If he does, it certainly wouldn't be on the same level as his love for Rose.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    only thing I can think of is that it is because he told her his true name?

ReputationRep:
    About the 50th:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Plus how would 10 react, having only seen River once?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    If the rumors are true and based on filming, it seems likely that this takes place for 10 during season 2 and thus he wouldn't have met River yet. As such River would have had to erase his memory of whatever takes place although this may be where his previous encounter with Liz I comes from...

ReputationRep:
    The name of the Series 7 Finale has been revealed:

Spoiler:
    Show
    The Name of the Doctor

Poster for the Finale:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  4130737-high-doctor-who-series-7b.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  295.4 KB

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.