Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think playing down China's backing does NK pr a world of good. It creates this image of a plucky little country defiantly taking on the rest of the world. Rest of the world threatens it and they threaten it right back. They aren't sitting round a table where the rest of the world has more seats than them. Why the **** should they? Who does the rest of the world think it is anyway? And now we're told that they're preparing more tests while America cancels theirs. The mouse that roared, and the lion that ran away.

This is of course complete nonsense and they are backed strongly by China and have a "partner" in Russia. But it really confuses me why the media does this. Far better to paint the enemy as a behemoth. The combined might of Russia, China, Pakistan, Iran etc. At least then whatever happens you look better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green.tea)
    Personally I think playing down China's backing does NK pr a world of good. It creates this image of a plucky little country defiantly taking on the rest of the world. Rest of the world threatens it and they threaten it right back. They aren't sitting round a table where the rest of the world has more seats than them. Why the **** should they? Who does the rest of the world think it is anyway? And now we're told that they're preparing more tests while America cancels theirs. The mouse that roared, and the lion that ran away.

This is of course complete nonsense and they are backed strongly by China and have a "partner" in Russia. But it really confuses me why the media does this. Far better to paint the enemy as a behemoth. The combined might of Russia, China, Pakistan, Iran etc. At least then whatever happens you look better.
    The ridiculous thing is that if a large conflict involving is even going to ensue, it'll probably be in up to a decade and it's highly doubtful that a large conflict will even ensue - it turns out that Kim Jong-Un's aunt (daughter of Kim Il-Sung) and uncle (her husband) are really calling the shots and act as "senior advisers" to Kim and are actually trying to cement his authority.

Fortunately, it's truly all blustering this time. The worst we'll see are more "tests" and at worst, some light shelling or something which SK will hopefully bear without retaliating. Even with the closure of that industrial complex, I believe it was just to go to the farthest extremes of rhetoric and make it seem like NK mean business.

ReputationRep:
    North Korea workers fail to turn up at Kaesong

North Korean employees have not reported for work at the Kaesong Industrial Complex, suspending one of the few points of cooperation between North and South Korea.

More than 120 South Korean companies operate in Kaesong, which is located inside North Korea.

About 53,000 North Korean workers are employed there.

It is the latest in a stream of provocations that have raised tensions on the Korean peninsula.

"As of now, no North Korean workers have reported to work this morning," a spokesperson for the South Korean Unification Ministry said.

The ministry added that 77 South Korean workers would leave the zone on Tuesday, but 479 were still inside Kaesong.

South Korean President Park Geun-hye said the boycott by North Korean workers would harm the country's credibility....

ReputationRep:
    Japan deploys missile defences in Tokyo amid North Korea concerns

Japan deployed missile-defense systems at three sites around Tokyo early Tuesday ahead of a possible missile launch by North Korea, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said.

The Patriot missile batteries were set up in the central district of Ichigaya and in the suburbs of Asaka and Narashino, Suga told reporters Tuesday. The deployments come as U.S. and South Korean officials warn Pyongyang could be preparing for another provocative move after weeks of belligerent rhetoric.

Suga had said Monday that the Japanese government would not publicize any missile-defense deployment, saying "It would show our strategy to North Korea."

The comments came a day after North Korea said it would pull out all its workers and temporarily suspend operations at the industrial complex it jointly operates with the South, the latest sign of deteriorating relations on the Korean Peninsula.

The North said it would also consider permanently closing down the Kaesong Industrial Complex, a shared manufacturing zone that is the last major symbol of cooperation between the two countries.

On Tuesday morning, the South Korean Unification Ministry said North Korean workers hadn't so far reported for work.

ReputationRep:
    North Korea's missile capabilities

The past few weeks have seen North Korea become increasingly belligerent toward the United States and South Korea, with Pyongyang threatening to "mercilessly strike" its enemies. But is the country able to back up its threats? Realistically, who's at risk of attack and where?

While experts believe North Korea does not currently have the capability to arm a missile with a nuclear warhead, the tabs below outline some of the known conventional weaponry in North Korea's arsenal. Click a name for details, and estimated strike ranges from Pyongyang.

[CLICK LINK ABOVE FOR INTERACTIVE MAP]

ReputationRep:
    You're up early, I take it NK is still being angsty?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamijack)
    You're up early, I take it NK is still being angsty?
    Yep, they've ratcheted it up to one of the highest levels - i.e. the Kaesong complex still remains closed; which is very serious because it's a highly highly lucrative source of income for North Korea, while being not so much for the South. Analysts say that NK would only close the complex if they really meant business - because it's closure is effectively a cutting off of one's hand. NK's basically losing a hell of a lot of income from the closure - not exactly intelligent unless they mean business.

Anyway, April 10th is tomorrow, with April 15th ever approaching - I do hope it's just rhetoric, even if at one of the highest levels. NK must surely know it won't win or succeed - and the hordes of Chinese troops massed on its borders are still of questionable motive...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    Yep, they've ratcheted it up to one of the highest levels - i.e. the Kaesong complex still remains closed; which is very serious because it's a highly highly lucrative source of income for North Korea, while being not so much for the South. Analysts say that NK would only close the complex if they really meant business - because it's closure is effectively a cutting off of one's hand. NK's basically losing a hell of a lot of income from the closure - not exactly intelligent unless they mean business.

Anyway, April 10th is tomorrow, with April 15th ever approaching - I do hope it's just rhetoric, even if at one of the highest levels. NK must surely know it won't win or succeed - and the hordes of Chinese troops massed on its borders are still of questionable motive...
    Hmmm, that does seem worrying. I do think it's unlikely that war will break out, even with the increased posturing from the North, the know it would be bloody, brutal and futile.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I understand Japans constitution means it can't actually get involved in this in any capacity other than self defence unless (I assume) someone attacks them. Therefore an attack on Japan would make little sense because instead of damaging an existing enemy force they'd be doing the opposite and adding to their numbers.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I understand Japans constitution means it can't actually get involved in this in any capacity other than self defence unless (I assume) someone attacks them. Therefore an attack on Japan would make little sense because instead of damaging an existing enemy force they'd be doing the opposite and adding to their numbers.
    Yep, true. I think NK's main "enemies" are SK especially and then the US (both together), so Japan on a lesser scale and, as you said, they wouldn't want to involve more parties.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ar-threat.html

Looks like they're just trying to be disruptive now. Why would they care about foreigners in SK? I wonder if thats why its being played down, in order to minimise the disruption NK can cause with statements like this. Although would China want the economy to be disrupted more than the US? They seem to have come through the financial crisis ok. Could creating war fears be something to do with sabotaging the economic recovery or something like that. Economists?

Pyongyang has shown no sign of preparing its 1.2 million-strong army for war, indicating the threats could be partly intended for domestic purposes to bolster Kim jong-un, 30, the third in his family to lead the reclusive country.
    Tho I do think this may be misleading. From what we hear it seems NK's military is at battle stations all the time so "no troop movement" and "no preparing for war" doesn't equate to their not being in position and prepared for war. It speaks specifically of NK's 1.2 million strong army with no mention of what the 8.2 million reservists are doing and speaks of what the information it provides indicates, not what the totality of the situation indicates.

ReputationRep:
    Most of North Korea's military is forward deployed, so short of an all out attack, there are no 'big signs' to say the NK military is ready or on stand-down. Like all forces in the peninsula, most are 'at ready' at any given time.

ReputationRep:
    They are a poodle satellite state of the great imperial devil, so are by default an enemy of the DPRK. They don't think about it in terms of "well they're only allowed to use weapons in self defence", they just think "they have weapons, they're on America's side, therefore we should wipe them out".

ReputationRep:
    Just heard that NK says its going to test a missile tomorrow but there doesn't seem to be anything on it on a google search. The news seems to be all over the place on this. One minute SK says theres loads of activity at NK nuke test site and the next we're told that that was a mistake and there is no unusual activity. So what were they seeing when they thought there was?

Most articles repeatedly going on about how China hates NK now while another talks about how they sent them the missile trucks and have tanks on the border. BBC reporting from the bit of the border where nothings happening to tell us nothing is happening as tho that's what people are interested in knowing about. Its quite unsettling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    They are a poodle satellite state of the great imperial devil, so are by default an enemy of the DPRK. They don't think about it in terms of "well they're only allowed to use weapons in self defence", they just think "they have weapons, they're on America's side, therefore we should wipe them out".
    Poodle? I always thought of them as more feline. Anyway even tho NK may want to they have to use proper strategy and re enforcing enemy forces isn't that.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.debka.com/article/22885/N...ing-facilities

ReputationRep:
    China wont allow NK to go further than rattling the sabre.

Its quite laughable everybody is taking these military goons so seriously. Its aid and attention they're after because kim jong a bong is in fear of his life if all he ever does is rape virgins under his rule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Stewie)
    take a look at this study done by the EMP commission which goes through the various effects an EMP could have on the US infrastructure, scroll down to 112 for the bit about trucks and cars however to sum up of the tests they did most cars ran fine when subjected to an EMP pulse (a few non essential electronics failed and the cars may need to be restarted when the EMP pulse hits).
    Try pages 131-132

A 'Show of Force' may have enraged some N.Koreans as
    During the 1950-53 Korean War, US B-29 heavy bombers literally flattened North Korea. That’s why North Korea reacted so furiously when US B-52 heavy bombers and B-2 Stealth bombers skirted its borders late last month, triggering off this latest crisis.
    http://ericmargolis.com/2013/04/what...uld-look-like/

ReputationRep:
    http://dailycaller.com/2013/04/08/br...-evil-britain/

Was wondering when he'd pipe up.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think it is pretty funny how the Americans followed their own rule book perfectly on how to effectively escalate a situation and then seemed to have a sudden realisation about exactly how insane Kim Jong Un could be before stepping down with their tails between their legs.

Nobody wants to deal with North Korea and the unification. It would be almost impossible to reintegrate a society so deeply involved in a cult of personality with a modern and westernised civilisation.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.