Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue21)
    7ishhh maybe 8, what was the whole enzyme question about!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    can you remind me of the enzyme question? my minds gone blank I can't remember it =/

ReputationRep:
    Those questions were so good!! And the last question was nice as well!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What did you write for the last question about changes in phenotype being too slow? I spoke about allele frequency and evolution =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alia223)
    What did you write for the carbon neutral question?
    The second bit was about greenhouse gas and radiating the long wave that the earth radiates out after absorbing.

The first bit was energy used to cut the forest. If those trees have been there a long time then the carbon was trapped a while ago. And once the biofuels are in use it still takes machinery and transport.

ReputationRep:
    What about why measure the KJ over a year and not just the mass on one day for the NPP? I think I rambled on a bit there...

ReputationRep:
    can you remind me of the enzyme question? my minds gone blank I can't remember it =/
    Something about how the enzyme will cause cell lysis wasn't it. But was it our enzyme or the bacteria's enzyme - can't remember.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that was an odd exam really, it seemed to almost have a lot of topic 3 things in it, especially with the second question in about how a single cell divides into a group of genetically identical cells. I felt like with that question it wanted us to go into detail with mitosis, but then it was only 3 marks... There were some nice 'easy' questions though, like picking the 4 biofuels and naming the bases. Also, what did any of you put for the multiple choice question about whether light intensity and moisture content affected the distribution of that unicellular organism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brad0440)
    I thought that was an odd exam really, it seemed to almost have a lot of topic 3 things in it, especially with the second question in about how a single cell divides into a group of genetically identical cells. I felt like with that question it wanted us to go into detail with mitosis, but then it was only 3 marks... There were some nice 'easy' questions though, like picking the 4 biofuels and naming the bases. Also, what did any of you put for the multiple choice question about whether light intensity and moisture content affected the distribution of that unicellular organism?
    I put both. The first choice I think. There didn't seem to be much evidence that one was a much more significant factor...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ziggy_72)
    I put both. The first choice I think. There didn't seem to be much evidence that one was a much more significant factor...
    That's what I put too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brad0440)
    I agree, when I read the question about naming the bases I was like " lol what .. :eek:?" The exam wasn't hard but I tought that there were some tough/unfamiliar questions. I struggelled with the timing in the first few questions but I eventually managed to finish it on time tough.

ReputationRep:
    It was about the enzyme that was made from the virus and how it caused lysis to the cell membrane I think, it was quite confusing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I did the same.

ReputationRep:
    That was well weird, NO DATA ANALYSIS :O

Tiny little bit on global warming, no tree rings, peat bog etc

No succession as well omg

Got a feeling a made daft mistakes though :/

I put Cystine instead of Cytosine lawl. :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yarshad)
    That was well weird, NO DATA ANALYSIS :O

Tiny little bit on global warming, no tree rings, peat bog etc

No succession as well omg

Got a feeling a made daft mistakes though :/

I put Cystine instead of Cytosine lawl. :|
    Omg! I know no data!! That was a god send though...!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It was about the enzyme that was made from the virus and how it caused lysis to the cell membrane I think, it was quite confusing

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Was it how the enzyme broke down the cell membrane?
    I said, the enzyme is specific, and acts on cholesterol molecules in the membrane. I said that the cholesterol gives rigidity to the membrane, and when they are broken down by the enzyme, the membrane would rupture easily. Dunno if that's right

ReputationRep:
    What did you write for the last question about changes in phenotype being too slow? I spoke about allele frequency and evolution =/
    I thunk it was about the selection pressures being the same for both as they both occupy similiar niches etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SKK94)
    Was it how the enzyme broke down the cell membrane?
    I said, the enzyme is specific, and acts on cholesterol molecules in the membrane. I said that the cholesterol gives rigidity to the membrane, and when they are broken down by the enzyme, the membrane would rupture easily. Dunno if that right
    That sounds like a pretty good answer, it was just suggest so I'm hoping if we talked about any part of the cell membrane we will get the mark, I started rambling on about the phospholipid bi layer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What about why measure the KJ over a year and not just the mass on one day for the NPP? I think I rambled on a bit there...
    I BS that one. Put something about it takes a mean for the year as the energy available changes with seasons.
    What did people put for the investigation to see what affect light had on the organism?

ReputationRep:
    Oh and why can't virus survive a cut in the skin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lgambo)
    Oh and why can't virus survive a cut in the skin?
    I put about skin being impenetrable, and that the skin was made of Keratin.
    It formed a tough barrier.

No idea if it is right though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C94)
    I put about skin being impenetrable, and that the skin was made of skin.
    It formed a tough barrier.

No idea if it is right though.
    I said that too.
    I also mentioned that maybe the pH of the skin causes the protein coat to deform, hence the virus becomes inactive?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.