Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    Problem 71**

Find all x,y \in \mathbb{C} such that x^y = y^x.
    Initial thoughts:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    \ y^x = x^y \Rightarrow \dfrac{ln(x)}{x} = \dfrac{ln(y)}{y} \Rightarrow f(x) = f(y)

\mathrm{\ Clearly \ solutions \ exist \ when} x = y
    By assuming x and y are different values then we see that there must be a straight line through the function. By inspection of the function we see that  1 \leq x \leq e and \ x \geq e The obvious solution to this is 2 and 4. As for the complex parts other then that \f(x_1) = f(z_1) = f(y_1) I'm at a loss for the night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metaltron)
    I quite like it The only real disadvantage is trying to get a compass that doesn't screw up your circle.
    :eek::eek::eek: Seems like you are alone in this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    :eek::eek::eek: Seems like you are alone in this
    I know, I'm so ashamed of myself

ReputationRep:
    Initial thoughts:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    \ y^x = x^y \Rightarrow \dfrac{ln(x)}{x} = \dfrac{ln(y)}{y} \Rightarrow f(x) = f(y)

\mathrm{\ Clearly \ solutions \ exist \ when} x = y
    By assuming x and y are different values then we see that there must be a straight line through the function. By inspection of the function we see that  1 \leq x \leq e and \ x \geq e The obvious solution to this is 2 and 4. As for the complex parts other then that \f(x_1) = f(z_1) = f(y_1) I'm at a loss for the night
    Spoiler:
    Show
    A slightly less obvious solution is \left(3\sqrt{3}\right)^{\sqrt{3}  }=\left(\sqrt{3}\right)^{3\sqrt{  3}}

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    A slightly less obvious solution is \left(3\sqrt{3}\right)^{\sqrt{3}  }=\left(\sqrt{3}\right)^{3\sqrt{  3}}
    Spoiler:
    Show
    IRC aren't there an infinite number of solutions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananarama2)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This suggests otherwise

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x^y-y^x%3D0

and thats only the real numbers.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    There are. I'm asking for a way to generate them. I.e. define the pair of functions x,y : S \to \mathbb{C} such that x(a)^{y(a)} = y(a)^{x(a)} for all a of some set S (for example, \mathbb{R} or \mathbb{C}), and the functions must be able to generate all the possible solutions in \mathbb{C}

Also you shouldn't have to use the W-function as solved by wolfram.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    There are. I'm asking for a way to generate them. I.e. define the pair of functions x,y : S \to \mathbb{C} such that x(a)^{y(a)} = y(a)^{x(a)} for all a of some set S (for example, \mathbb{R} or \mathbb{C}), and the functions must be able to generate all the possible solutions in \mathbb{C}

I'm fairly sure no such functions exist.

Not ones that aren't multivalued anyway.

EDIT: Ignore that, I think I'm onto something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)
    I'm fairly sure no such functions exist.

Not ones that aren't multivalued anyway.
    Well I use "functions" in a loose sense - more like I am looking for a parametric "method" to generate the solutions. Hence I would accept multivalued functions along with an appropriate explanation of how their branches relate to the solutions they generate.

ReputationRep:
    Solution 71

Not sure if this is 100% correct but it seems ok

Let x=ay

we then get (ay)^y=y^{ay}

rearanging gives a^y=(y^y)^{a-1}

so

yln(a)=(a-1)ln(y^y)=(a-1)yln(y)

so

y=a^{\frac{1}{a-1}}
    and
    x=a^{\frac{a}{a-1}}

This should only fail if x or y are 0, but that cannot give a solution unless we accept x=y=0 (which would be given by a=0 anyway).

ReputationRep:
    Solution 71
    Yep I'll give you that, that is the (rather elegant I think) solution I had in mind, and of course you can always ad in x = y as the set of trivial solutions.

To be more rigorous (although possibly going beyond A-level) one could think about why the proof works for complex x and y (since you are taking logs etc.). Also, consider what value does a have to be to get the solution (-2, -4)?

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Spoiler:
    Show
    W function? I've just seen the problem before On one of the STEP threads I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben-smith)
    My profound compliments!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Do you not relish doing complex analysis? It is rather straightforward!

(Original post by shamika)

Make sure you have a look at STEP and MAT, assuming you apply to Oxford / Cambridge / Imperial / Warwick.

Also, you'll be pleased to know that there is no Euclidean plane geometry of the kind that's useful for IMO at university!
    Ceva, Menelaus, Lehmus, Brianchon, Pappus, Feuerbach - I am scared!
    On one hand, projective geometry is somewhat interesting; on the other hand, barycentric coordinates and complex numbers, for example, are such a computational disaster.
    Not to mention the problems where we have to deal with hundreds of circles..
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I have looked at some STEP papers. The problems seem quite accessible; one surprising thing is that help is given for a considerable number of questions.
    I would like to know what is your opinion - are there any substantial differences between the colleges within, for example, the University of Cambridge (I mean academic differences)?

I quite like it
    I assume you relish doing pure geometry. Here you are:

Let k be the circumscribed circle of the triangle ABC. D is an arbitrary point on the segment AB. Let I and J be the centers of the circles which are tangent to the side AB, the segment CD and the circle k. Assume that A, B, I, and J are concyclic. The excircle of the triangle ABC is tangent to the side AB in the point M. Then M \equiv D.

Note that Thebault's theorem was not allowed without proof.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mladenov)
    My profound compliments!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Do you not relish doing complex analysis? It is rather straightforward!

Ceva, Menelaus, Lehmus, Brianchon, Pappus, Feuerbach - I am scared!
    On one hand, projective geometry is somewhat interesting; on the other hand, barycentric coordinates and complex numbers, for example, are such a computational disaster.
    Not to mention the problems where we have to deal with hundreds of circles..
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I have looked at some STEP papers. The problems seem quite accessible; one surprising thing is that help is given for a considerable number of questions.
    I would like to know what is your opinion - are there any substantial differences between the colleges within, for example, the University of Cambridge (I mean academic differences)?

I assume you relish doing pure geometry. Here you are:

Let k be the circumscribed circle of the triangle ABC. D is an arbitrary point on the segment AB. Let I and J be the centers of the circles which are tangent to the side AB, the segment CD and the circle k. Assume that A, B, I, and J are concyclic. The excircle of the triangle ABC is tangent to the side AB in the point M. Then M \equiv D.

Note that Thebault's theorem was not allowed without proof.
    Btw when I said I liked geometry; that doesn't necessarily mean I'm a whizz at it!

ReputationRep:
    I have looked at some STEP papers. The problems seem quite accessible;
    For the love of god you have to apply. That's just :O

ReputationRep:
    Btw when I said I liked geometry; that doesn't necessarily mean I'm a whizz at it!
    Hey, do not take it rather seriously! It is for fun; hence if you enjoy pondering upon geometry problems, I feel that this is one awesome example. I have good mementos regarding this problem.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I failed on it three years ago

For the love of god you have to apply. That's just :O
    I meant pure mathematics, and not mechanics and the rest applied stuff.

Let us stop the off-topic and stick to problem solving.

ReputationRep:
    Solution 71

Not sure if this is 100% correct but it seems ok

Let x=ay

we then get (ay)^y=y^{ay}

rearanging gives a^y=(y^y)^{a-1}

so

yln(a)=(a-1)ln(y^y)=(a-1)yln(y)

so

y=a^{\frac{1}{a-1}}
    and
    x=a^{\frac{a}{a-1}}

This should only fail if x or y are 0, but that cannot give a solution unless we accept x=y=0 (which would be given by a=0 anyway).
    Neat
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You should apply then
    Spoiler:
    Show
    In terms of academic performance, the difference between the colleges is small, with the Tompkins score of the middle ~15-20 colleges varying only by around 5%.
    This is mostly due to the cohort - you'll see that the more 'competitive' colleges get to take on better students, and so with all other things being equal, they do better. Trinity will be able to take on better students as they get better direct applicants, for example.
    In your case, just pick the one you like most (I'm guessing Trinity, as you're an IMO Mathmo )

ReputationRep:
    Problem 72: *

Bit of an effort: - But hey ho.
    Prove by considering: \ I =\displaystyle\int^1_0 \dfrac{x^4(1 - x)^4}{1+x^2}\ dx that \pi < \frac{22}{7}

Find \ I = \displaystyle\int \sqrt{1+e^x}\ dx

ReputationRep:
    Problem 72: *

Bit of an effort: - But hey ho.
    Prove by considering: \ I =\displaystyle\int^1_0 \dfrac{x^4(1 - x^4)}{1+x^2}\ dx that \pi < \frac{22}{7}

Find \ I = \displaystyle\int \sqrt{1+e^x}\ dx
    You mean \displaystyle \frac{x^{4}(1-x)^{4}}{1+x^{2}}, don't you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.